Gullibility

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Gullibility

Postby Sabina » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 pm

gullible –adjective
    easily deceived or cheated.

H2O: Dangerous Chemical!

A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:
    1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
    2. it is a major component in acid rain
    3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
    4. accidental inhalation can kill you
    5. it contributes to erosion
    6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
    7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
    • Forty-three (43) said yes,
    • six (6) were undecided,
    • and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

He feels the conclusion is obvious.

Source: math.psu.edu

__1__

43 out of 50 people said "yes" to banning something they need for survival.
Now imagine how easily and how many things pass that are just a little less known than H20.
This has got to be one of the best and simplest ways of demonstrating "the obvious".

This is an old story, by the way, from 1997.
__14__

Addendum: Here is the original letter from 1997...

BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:
    • is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
    • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
    • may cause severe burns.
    • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    • in nuclear power plants.
    • in the production of styrofoam.
    • as a fire retardant.
    • in many forms of cruel animal research.
    • in the distribution of pesticides.
    Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Gullibility

Postby mirjana » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Sabina, Kudos for this post that can serve to our further awakening.
Wise idea that has been wisely done proving a sad fact about the tragically percentage of brain washed people.
I can only hope that projects like this one will help at least to some people to be more aware by giving a personal contribution to anything.
Normally I do not belong to people who just jump into everything that is said or recommended. I have even thought that I am a good example for the opposite, at least within my generation. But, thanks to my children I became aware that it is not so and that it had happened that I was not aware enough or alert enough to notice the manipulation behind some information. So, I pay much more attention now than before and whenever I am not really sure I check for more information in different sources or ask for clarification, mostly my children.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

I've seen that many times, and sadly I'm not surprised at the results. For years, we've been encouraged to not think, to not question. So what do we do about it?
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Agate wrote:So what do we do about it?

Question things, research, find the answers. Inform people and do our best to spread knowledge.

I have talked to some people who think that this is "too much work", "too much trouble"... so by that logic they don't question anything and take any information they are given as fact.

I don't think anyone can help those who choose not to know, but there are plenty others! People who simply didn't have the opportunity to find out, for whatever reason, but are curious to learn.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Sabina wrote:
Agate wrote:So what do we do about it?

Question things, research, find the answers. Inform people and do our best to spread knowledge.

Here in DS there is already a section Eyeopeners where this is possible.
http://www.deepspirits.com/eyeopeners/
Sabina has already written three articles there about things that previously have been taken as truth, although it has not been the taste. She researched and presented true information making like this possible Truth to be met. It is a very good example how it could be done.
Besides, there it can be found what are related forums where Ds members also have been approached things from another perspective making like this visible something that doesn’t look like that at the first sight.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Psychology