Gray Hair

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Gray Hair

Postby Sabina » Mon May 03, 2010 1:04 am

What do you think about gray/grey hair?

How do you (or would you) feel about having gray hair?
Do you cover it up?
Should it be covered up?
What does it mean if someone covers it up, or cuts it off, or pulls it out?

I know to most people this seems like a minor thing, and yes, they are right, but they are also wrong. Because, if gray hair is part of who you are, then it is important that you accept it, in my opinion.
Accepting who we are, without any pretenses.. what could possibly be more important than that?
And how is anyone to truly change anything, become a better version of themselves, if they can't or don't first accept who they are at a basic level, their physique?

I am curious to hear your thoughts and opinions.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Gray Hair

Postby Ryan » Mon May 03, 2010 11:50 am

It's cool... I found a white hair in my beard... It was certainly a bit weird at first but I think it could be cool to have some white here and there... I think it would be even cooler to be completely white... but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

As for those that dye their hair, or what not, I don't know... I mean, it definitely isn't as big a deal as having plastic surgery or botox injections... and it would certainly depend on why they are doing it. I wouldn't judge someone just "trying something new" the same as to someone that is insecure about their age and afraid of getting old.

For me, it seems important for a person to accept and even embrace themselves in every way... of course, I am not saying that if someone is overweight, to the point of it becoming unhealthy, that they shouldn't do anything about it and embrace their...largeness... I am just saying... love yourself for who you are... if you can't... how can anybody else?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby dermot » Mon May 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Different strokes for different folks, as always.

There must be a myriad of reasons why people choose to cover grey hair. I am sure some people do it because they are uncomfortable with reality, and wish to hide from it themselves. Then again, lots of people do very strange things to put forward a 'look' they invest in.

At face value there is nothing wrong with looking after ones appearance, on balance its a good thing to behold in another person.
I think if they are trying to be deceptive, then it tells another story, some insecurity at play possibly.

I suppose going overboard about it in either direction is not a good thing. Being obsessive about how one looks is the same as being obsessive about not caring how one looks.

Its about being comfortable in ones own skin, whatever it takes. A woman who dyes her hair purple is making a statement. Somone who dyes their grey hair can be doing the same, or they can be deeply uncomfortable about themselves.
To answer Sabina's point - im sure its possible to accept grey hair, and equally possible to decide to change its colour, without it being something to agonise over.

And before you ask........No i dont! =0D
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

I always thought that gray hair is beautiful... and white hair maybe even more so. Fate would have it so that, judging by my ancestors, I will probably not have gray hair, or at least not for the next 20-30 years.

I think the following experience influenced me quite a bit.
When I was a teenager I was on the tram... and I saw a couple. They were both well over 50, she had completely gray hair, in a single braid, he had gray hair as well, and a beard. They were both so beautiful than it was indescribable... I don't think I was ever more impressed with anyone physically than by those two people then and there.
They were both dressed casually, slightly hippie-ish, they were talking to each other, and they looked very happy. It was as if there was a glow around them..
The thing is, they were beautiful in a way in which everyone can be beautiful... or at least I think so.
It wasn't the shapes of their faces or anything like that that made them beautiful. It was the whole package, everything together. I really think each of them individually was in complete harmony with themselves, with who they were, and also that they were beautiful on the inside.
Their beauty simply radiated through them and outside of them and that is the only beauty that counts.

So.... any time I see anyone trying to cover up who they are, or trying to seduce anyone - including themselves (!) - with fake feathers, I wish they would stop... and start being beautiful inside. If they already are, then I wish they would recognize their own beauty, because as soon as they do, anyone who has eyes will see it as well.
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Hm, gray hair, interesting question.
I used to be one of those who tried to cover up who they are with fake feathers. When I was 19 I was fascinated with gray hair and wanted to try it. I couldn´t understand people who wanted to color their gray hair, as I wanted to have gray hair. So I paid very high price for that as I destroyed my beautiful hair. But, I gained a very good lesson and never again did anything similar. It was a short term experiment (few months), but enough to come to the valuable realization that my hair, beside other things, is that what I am.
So today when many around me have gray hair, I do not and now my natural color doesn´t seem natural, although it is. =0/ Funny games in life. =0)
Sabina, your story about that couple is a very nice story and I also had an opportunity to see such natural beauty which is incomparable. Still, I think that everybody has to come to the personal realization and nobody´s influence is as important as a personally learned lesson.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby HGolightly » Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

What do you think about gray/grey hair?
It's can be pretty.

How do you (or would you) feel about having gray hair?
I'm not partial to having gray hair.

Do you cover it up?
I color my hair.

Should it be covered up?
It is nice to be afforded the opportunity, so it is a nice alternative.

What does it mean if someone covers it up, or cuts it off, or pulls it out?
I shared the same sentiment with that of Dermot, as it is definitely possible for people to accept going gray, as easily as it is for someone not to accept it. Reasons vary from person to person.
I'm personally not losing sleep over it.

Great points, as I am doing a little experimentation with allowing myself a little freedom for a little natural highlighted action.
=0@
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby rae53cr » Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I have Gary Hair and having been thinking about covering it up, but then i looked in the mirror and found that the Gray makes me look as wise as I am, so I will be keeping it. Gary Rocks ;0)
rae53cr

Personality: Extrovert
Kudos: 0

Postby Sabina » Wed May 19, 2010 5:58 pm

rae53cr wrote:Gray Rocks ;0)

It absolutely does. [El]
Welcome to DS! :)
Sabina

Postby HGolightly » Wed May 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Way to go with embracing your grays!
And, welcome to DS!!
=0)
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby tcm2164 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm

If evolution/natural selection is to be believed, then some degree of concern with physical appearance is probably a natural human tendency -- those who appear to be the fittest are more likely to pass on their genes. If that is true then it would seem “natural” to want to appear youthful [reproductively fit].

I think that western culture, though, has created an epidemic of vanity. It has exaggerated our natural desire for youthfulness in order to get us to buy things. The message from advertisers is “You are not good enough the way you are….but, if you buy this exercise video, wear these clothes, use this hair dye, etc. then, you and your life will improve.

As for the practice of hair-coloring, it is pretty low on my vanity scale, but I think Sabina has a great point. Why not begin accepting ourselves on this very basic level? And for me personally, I’m just glad that I have some hair [even if it is slowly turning white.]
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Next

Return to Spirited Debate