Gossip

Short stories, good jokes,
witty sayings and anecdotes

Gossip

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm

After a while the sound is slightly out of sync with the picture, but it's still nice to hear Philip Seymour Hoffman tell the tale as Father Flynn.
This is such a good story... enjoy!

A woman was gossiping with a friend about a man she hardly knew - I know none of you have ever done this - that night she had a dream. A great hand appeared over her and pointed down at her. She was immediately seized with an overwhelming sense of guilt. The next day she went to confession. She got the old parish priest, Father O’Rourke, and she told him the whole thing.

‘Is gossiping a sin?’ she asked the old man. ‘Was that the hand of God Almighty pointing a finger at me? Should I be asking your absolution? Father, tell me, have I done something wrong?’

‘Yes!’ Father O’Rourke answered her. ‘Yes, you ignorant, badly broughtup female! You have borne false witness against your neighbor, you have played fast and loose with his reputation, and you should be heartily ashamed!’

So the woman said she was sorry and asked for forgiveness.

‘Not so fast!’ says O’Rourke. ‘I want you to go home, take a pillow up on your roof, cut it open with a knife, and return here to me!’

So the woman went home, took a pillow off her bed, a knife from the drawer, went up the fire escape to the roof, and stabbed the pillow. Then she went back to the old parish priest as instructed.

‘Did you gut the pillow with the knife?’ he says.

‘Yes, Father.’

‘And what was the result?’

‘Feathers,’ she said.

‘Feathers?’ he repeated.

‘Feathers everywhere, Father!’

‘Now I want you to go back and gather up every last feather that flew out on the wind!’

‘Well,’ she said, ‘it can’t be done. I don’t know where they went. The wind took them all over.’

‘And that,’ said Father O’Rourke, ‘is GOSSIP!’

__4__

Additional information:
This story is strongly based on, actually almost identical to a Jewish folktale.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Gossip

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Wow, Sabina, again one great and thought provoking topic.
I saw the movie "The Doubt" - great movie, by the way, and this is one of many aspects of that movie.
Many people consider gossip as a makeup of their social life or even worse self promotion tool that should enable approach to people and situation they normally would need longer time, if at all, to approach.
Once made, such mistake is always double paid. People are not aware of that. When I say this I do not talk about religious connotation of the word "guilt" and all misusing of this concept which is mostly practiced as one of successful religious tools to rule over people. I talk about cosmic laws that really work and one of them is cause and effect. There is no chance one can gossip and not to get the same emotional result as the person s/he gossiped had to pass through because of that. It is not needed to get it as a result of gossip, but it is my personal direct experience and indirect as well over the experience of my clients I was introduced in my work, that the emotional effect will be the same. Awareness cannot stop the damages already made as these are really feathers, but it can stop making new damages and new attractions of same bad effects into the personal life.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Gossip

Postby Pat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Sabina this was excellent ... one of the four agreements is to be impeccable with your word. Never say anything about anyone unless they are there to give answer
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Return to Witticism