Good people and bad people

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Good people and bad people

Postby Alvino » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

Someone shared their failure to do a good deed - still causes them some emotional pain = Pat?

Two monks who had made all kinds of monastic vows including Never to tough a female human
person.
Early in the morning, they came to a river and a young woman was near the bank = Crying and moaning
and crying because she could not cross the river.
So one monk placed her on his back and ferried her across the water.
Then the two monks continued on their journey. They walked all morning and stopped for lunch
and then continued on their trip. Late in the day they stopped and one monk
asked the other monk why he had been so sullen and upset during the long day of walking.
The monk answered: You made a vow that you would never touch a woman the rest of your entire life, But Yet this morning you carried that young lady on your back and crossed the river
with her on your back
The first monk said: Dear God, are you STILL CARRYING HER, I put her
down many hours ago, but you are still carrying her as a burden.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:44 pm

This is a very good story. The message of this one is not far away from the message of the story about Two Wolfes.

The Story of Two Wolves

A Grandfather from the Cherokee Nation was talking with his grandson.

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves."

"One wolf is evil and ugly: He is anger, envy, war, greed, self-pity, sorrow, regret, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, selfishness and arrogance."
"The other wolf is beautiful and good: He is friendly, joyful, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, justice, fairness, empathy, generosity, true, compassion, gratitude, and deep VISION."
"This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other human as well."

The grandson paused in deep reflection because of what his grandfather had just said.
Then he finally asked: "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"

The elder Cherokee replied, "The wolf that you feed."

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Excellent Mirjana . I have always loved that story .... It always rings true.
Pat
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Postby Alvino » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 am

HOW TO FIND GOOD PEOPLE

A traveler came to the guard at the night gate to a City.
Guard "Sir, how are you tonight and how can I help you?.

Traveler: " I am on a journey looking for a city of good people that I can live with."
Guard: Sir, what is GOOD PEOPLE to you?
Well, I want to live in a city where citizens are happy, smiling folks and where
I do not have to lock the doors and be afraid of my neighbors and all people
treat each other with respect and help each other.

Guard: "Sir, what kind of people lived in the city you are coming from:

SEEKER: Well, in that city all people have to be leary of each other and
one could not leave doors or windows unlocked day or night and no respect was
shown to one another and all were grumpy.

Guard "Sir, then this is NOT THE CITY that you are seeking , it is not the city for you
because that is the kind of people YOU WILL FIND HERE, ALSO.

SO THE seeker went on his way.

Then another traveler came to the Same Gate and the Same Guard.

Sir, how are you tonight and how can i help you.

Traveler "Well , I am looking for a new city to live in with Good people living in it
Guard: "What kind of people lived in the city you just left and what are Good People.

Traveler "Oh , they were wonderful people, we could our homes unlocked and people
smiled a lot and both young and old respected each other a lot . It was full of
very GOOD PEOPLE.

the SAME GUARD said "Sir, welcome to our city. Those are the kind of citizens you will FIND
in our City. It is full of GOOD PEOPLE.
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 am

Your focus determines what you see... :)
That's a wonderful story Alvino!

Thank you for posting it.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I like that story as well Alvino!
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

The importance of perspective

Postby mirjana » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:50 pm

The time back I used to have a client who was very unhappy in the little town where she lived.
Actually for many people around her she had a very privileged life, good job with full professsional realization in helping people (what she also loved), beautiful private house (what she also loved), great climate (what she also loved), few friends (she also loved)...but she was unhappy.
She projected her happiness in the big city where she will have more dynamic life. In order to motivate herself to move, she has been talking only bad things about the little town she has been living in.
So, in our work together, the main point to bring to her realization was to help her recognize the problems in her, as everything else were her projections of inner problems. I told her that it would be OK to move, but not because this town was bad. Because, leaving with such thought would only bring her the same problems wherever she moved. If she finds her peace and balance where she is, she can then goes or stay, that will be of secondary importance. Her decision will be then the choice made based on analysis of preferences, not escape of personal problems.
She lives in the same little town today and she seems to be happy. She organized her life beautifully so that she has also much more dynamism in life. But instead of blaming others, she changed first some aspect of self, including perspective, and after that it was not a problem to change some aspects of her life for the better, without need to change her life completely.
I try to apply this in my life as much as I can.

Mirjana

PS: Nice story Alvino, as you see inspiring =0)
mirjana

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:22 am

These are verses about Good and Evil by Khalil Gibran, from his book "The Prophet"

And one of the elders of the city said, "Speak to us of Good and Evil."

And he answered:

Of the good in you I can speak, but not of the evil.

For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst?

Verily when good is hungry it seeks food even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters.

You are good when you are one with yourself.

Yet when you are not one with yourself you are not evil.

For a divided house is not a den of thieves; it is only a divided house.

And a ship without rudder may wander aimlessly among perilous isles yet sink not to the bottom.

You are good when you strive to give of yourself.

Yet you are not evil when you seek gain for yourself.

For when you strive for gain you are but a root that clings to the earth and sucks at her breast.

Surely the fruit cannot say to the root, "Be like me, ripe and full and ever giving of your abundance."

For to the fruit giving is a need, as receiving is a need to the root.

You are good when you are fully awake in your speech,

Yet you are not evil when you sleep while your tongue staggers without purpose.

And even stumbling speech may strengthen a weak tongue.

You are good when you walk to your goal firmly and with bold steps.

Yet you are not evil when you go thither limping.

Even those who limp go not backward.

But you who are strong and swift, see that you do not limp before the lame, deeming it kindness.

You are good in countless ways, and you are not evil when you are not good,

You are only loitering and sluggard.

Pity that the stags cannot teach swiftness to the turtles.

In your longing for your giant self lies your goodness: and that longing is in all of you.

But in some of you that longing is a torrent rushing with might to the sea, carrying the secrets of the hillsides and the songs of the forest.

And in others it is a flat stream that loses itself in angles and bends and lingers before it reaches the shore.

But let not him who longs much say to him who longs little, "Wherefore are you slow and halting?"

For the truly good ask not the naked, "Where is your garment?" nor the houseless, "What has befallen your house?"

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 am

It concerns me most because I have had the privilege of staying with the damages of time as well as callously living through injustices of men. And in all those times I have had the essence of good in me and most often I have been deluded by many people for their good which entirely turns against the ideal of good.
Many intentions are misunderstood, therefore now I have borne through and have tried much not to blame people because somewhere their intentions are true to them and respecting that makes me feel much better or rather on the good side even if i do support something bad making me bad again.

See, it's only the way we look at things that make things bad. Some are, when they are completely individualistic and pretensive. Truth and acknowledgement is real and there are no good and bad sides to it. Lies are a part of it too.

Grey times. 80| see.
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

Postby DaeisM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 am

I have to disagree with Plato on this one. I think there is good and bad in every spiritual being. I also believe it was chosen for us. Hence the preparation for the paradise promised through various signs and literature. Eventually, we are all good. If you can't understand then try to understand the paradoxical aspect. I think real successors accomplish more through error. Lets look a the word sin through religious belief, means; to miss the mark. I think all of us can pretty much relate to falling short of the mark. I think when we are deliberate in our thinking to do evil, we are influenced through others and our ego's are fed. Although, the same can be said by people who do good to.
DaeisM

Favorite book: Extraordinary Knowledge
Favorite movie: The Matrix
Things I like: Meditation, eating, and seeking out further knowledge of the unseen.
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate