God & Satan

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

God & Satan

Postby Naveen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm

If God is X , is Satan -X ?

X and -X seem to be only two opposites.

I am curious if there's more to it ...
Naveen

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Magical
Kudos: 3

Re: God & Satan

Postby Sabina » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm

If God is everything, then "Satan" is only a tiny part of the everything.
So, if God is X, then Satan can, at best, be a parameter in the equation, just a part, no more.

Some people talk of God and "Satan" as X and -X, but all these people do through that is give something small ("Satan") a much bigger importance than it actually has.

Yes, I keep writing "Satan" in quotes on purpose. :)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Naveen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm

I am curious about the quotes. Is it possible for you to share that?

I don't know how important Satan is !

Small's not important ?

Satan's small , how do I know that ?
Naveen

Postby Sabina » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I didn't say that small is not important.
Small is still a part of it and can therefore affect the whole, so of course it is important.
But there is no need to make an elephant out of a mouse, in a manner of speaking..
No need to give too much attention to something that doesn't deserve that much attention.
I am not saying to ignore it, but merely to put it in its place.

Ok, mathematically speaking, if God is X and "Satan" is z, then the equation could look as follows:
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o+p+q+r+s+t+u+v+w+y+z=X

z is part of X, and therefore matters, but it is by no means the negative equivalent of X.

The reason I use quotes when I write "Satan" is because it is only a name, a title, given by some to describe a part of human nature which, if affected a certain way (suppressed, for instance) or if it is not "guided", can deform and grow out of proportion into various demented directions. In that sense, for such a person, the equation may look like this:
a+j+k+l+m+p+q+u+v+Z=X

So, to that person, "Satan" may indeed seem much bigger and more important than to a healthy balanced individual. But, it doesn't have to be that way..

Many people imagine "Satan" as an actual 3-dimensional being, outside of ourselves, that wishes to seduce us into wrongful behavior.
That kind of approach is called externalizing.. corporations do that as well. They externalize..
But, look within, and a world of possibilities and opportunities opens up for those who do.
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby ThePermster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:11 pm

I agree with Sabina: given the traditional Christian dogma of God as the all powerful omnipresence and Satan as a mere fallen angel.

Though in some ways when you use those names people often tend to actually be referring to a being of absolute good and an opposite being of absolute evil. Hence perhaps the original assertion?
Then the focus is to be put on what is exactly meant by good and evil and how they relate to objectivity and subjectivity.
I think the traditional theistic view is the beings represent the ontological pillars of objective good and evil, i.e. what "God" says is right is right and what "Satan" says is wrong is wrong. Though other theisms simply discard the dichotomy altogether and just have an omniscient being who objectively states what is right and what is wrong.

I think first of all though you need to define exactly what you mean by the names "God" and "Satan". Because culturally the names have taken on some very vague and subjective characteristics over the ages. What exactly are we talking about here? The Christian God and Satan? Or ontological absolutes? Or subjective concepts? Or a duck and a velociraptor? Or what?
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Naveen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 pm

All I have is questions ... Answers anyone .. ?
Naveen

Postby Sabina » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:40 pm

I agree that defining what exactly is meant would help us understand each other better.
Sabina

Postby Neqodin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 am

Sabina wrote:I didn't say that small is not important.
Small is still a part of it and can therefore affect the whole, so of course it is important.
But there is no need to make an elephant out of a mouse, in a manner of speaking..
No need to give too much attention to something that doesn't deserve that much attention.
I am not saying to ignore it, but merely to put it in its place.

Ok, mathematically speaking, if God is X and "Satan" is z, then the equation could look as follows:
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o+p+q+r+s+t+u+v+w+y+z=X

z is part of X, and therefore matters, but it is by no means the negative equivalent of X.

The reason I use quotes when I write "Satan" is because it is only a name, a title, given by some to describe a part of human nature which, if affected a certain way (suppressed, for instance) or if it is not "guided", can deform and grow out of proportion into various demented directions. In that sense, for such a person, the equation may look like this:
a+j+k+l+m+p+q+u+v+Z=X

So, to that person, "Satan" may indeed seem much bigger and more important than to a healthy balanced individual. But, it doesn't have to be that way..

Many people imagine "Satan" as an actual 3-dimensional being, outside of ourselves, that wishes to seduce us into wrongful behavior.
That kind of approach is called externalizing.. corporations do that as well. They externalize..
But, look within, and a world of possibilities and opportunities opens up for those who do.

In saying that Satan is a representation of part of our human nature (which I agree with) and saying that z (satan) is part of X then you are saying that we are X (which I also believe). I do not believe that we are entirely X but in order to know God you must look into yourself.

I think people have the figuritive images of God and Satan ingrained into them and it is difficult for them to see them in any other way. I think also it is easy to represent human personality in this way and so the truth my not be either of these conclusions.
Neqodin

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Return to Spirited Debate