Gloomy Sunday: the song of suicide

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Gloomy Sunday: the song of suicide

Postby Cyrene » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 pm

My father used to tell me about a song that was banned to be brodcasted on Hungarian radios after the Second World War. It was called the Song of Suicide and it acted as a trigger, because people used to listen to it and kill themselves. Not much years ago I had the opportunity to listen to that song in the sweet voice of Sarah Brightman and I could understand it all. Imagine desperate survivors after a cruel war that had lost their beloved ones, their homes, their country, listening to a song that talked about sadness and solitude: it made the heart to vibrate , causing to brake the last thread that linked thinly those souls to their lives.
A couple of years ago I learned that there was a German- Hungarian film with the same title. In spite of having had several awards in Germany it was really difficult to get in Spain, where I live, but eventually I got it. Basically it is a romantic story, the classical menage a trois, but the background of Budapest in the war times gives it an ingredient of tragical nostalgia. Aesthetically gorgeous, the main actress , Erika Marozsán is beautiful enough to make the story believable, a story that revolves around the song as a departure point.

"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
Cyrene

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Little Prince
Favorite movie: What dreams may come
Things I like: All kind of music, historical novels, books that allow me to learn something, good films, travelling, visiting museums, knowing new cultures
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 1

Re: Gloomy Sunday: the song of suicide

Postby Sabina » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

That's a beautiful song Cyrene.
There is a sadness and a certain nostalgia of death, which is obviously what seduced some people into doing what they were already thinking of doing, for obvious reasons.

Thank you for the movie recommendation! The iMDb rating is also nice (7.7).
I checked the local market first, but I can't buy it here, because it's only available in German without English subtitles. I have eventually found one online, in South Korea, and it has English subtitles as an option, so I bought it, and now just to wait for it to make it here.
Thanks!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Cyrene » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:05 pm

This is the famous song that was banned for real

"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
Cyrene

Things I like: All kind of music, historical novels, books that allow me to learn something, good films, travelling, visiting museums, knowing new cultures

Postby Sabina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for adding that version as well. It is nice, but to me only because the song itself is beautiful, not because Sarah Brightman makes it so (in this case). For me the version in the first video is much more beautiful.

Did you, by any chance, come across the original Hungarian version as well? Or was the original in German..?
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Sabina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Also beautiful, the Hungarian version, sang by the same woman

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Postby mirjana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Cyrene,

Thank you for bringing this song here. I am familiar with it as in my native country, ex Yu, which is the first neighbor to Hungary, we used to sing it in so called sentimental mood, when friends or family would come together to spend some time and then later we would also sing. This song was almost always on our repertoire.
This is the version from the time back when I used to listen to it and when I was also singing it.

I like your thoughts about this song and for all together, I gave you Kudos for bringing it back to me.
BTW, I agree with you about the actress. She is really gorgeous.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Cyrene » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Thank you , Mirjana. I have always had a very close link to this song, and this version brings to my mind my father's voice, singing it .
Cyrene

Return to Movies