Friendship in Virtual Times

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Friendship in Virtual Times

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:56 pm

mirjana wrote:... Never mind that in that aspect too we are not all equally skilled and those who think about themselves that they are, should know that it is the same thing like criticizing somebody for not being able to sing the same way as somebody else who does it nicely.

I agree that those who are more skilled with words should be understanding of those who are less skilled, but that goes as far as trying to understand what the other actually said even if they haven't expressed themselves the best way. That is not a problem, especially if the less skilled person really makes an attempt to the best of their abilities and also doesn't give up immediately just because they are not understood. If they are truly not so skilled in that domain they are probably used to not being understood.
What "being understanding" doesn't mean is just excusing whatever someone says through saying that "they are just not so skilled with words and language, so they can say whatever they want".
Sorry, but no...
I am not saying that is what you suggested, but I do feel it is important to point out the difference.

Someone singing badly may hurt my ears a little, but it cannot wound my heart or soul. Words can if they are harsh, especially if they come from someone who is close to us. They can hurt us because we have let them in, and hence allowed them to hurt us.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Metatron » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 am

Sabina wrote:You see, to me, the word progress implies that is is an advancement, that it is leading to something better, which when you translate that also means that it is now better than it was before. When it comes to relationships, interaction between people, I don't see it.

Yeah, but how do you now it is not part of the progress? Progress is not a point on a line, it is a process. What if communication needs a bad example for it to get back on track again? As I've sadi, there have been several different periods in history, usually (in literature, for example, which could seriously affect people before the internet and the media developed) each one was in contrast with the one before.

Hegel said that history develops like a spiral. That events happen again after a certain period of time, but they're an improved version of themselves each time they happen again.

So I'm not trying to say this is all good, but it could lead to a positive outcome. People can change.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 am

I suppose it could be part of it. No, I most definitely don't know (!) that it's not part of it, and yes.. sometimes things do get really bad before they get better, that's true as well.

But... in order for things to get better, people have to try to make it better, and not just say "we don't know what this may lead to... it may be good", or anything like that.
All those times in history when things changed for the better? That didn't happen by itself. There was always an opposition to the mainstream, or a counterculture that provoked the change.
And you know, those of us who see that something is wrong? It is our responsibility to keep inspiring that change.
Watch this, until the end, please, and tell me what you think. ;0)

Plato's Cave

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 am

In spite of all my convinction that something is wrong, there was time when it would turn that my estimation was not correct. Through that I learned that it is an arrogance to think that my approach or convinction about anything gives my right to consider myself as a selected person who is the only one who stays here for the truth.

I am curious to know your answer to the following question. Suppose two persons to have two different opinions about the same thing. Who gives any right to any of them to think that what she or he thinks is the truth to be followed?

=0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:21 am

Mirjana wrote:Who gives any right to any of them to think that what she or he thinks is the truth to be followed?

Mirjana,

I am not sure if I understand your question.
Are you, in essence, asking who gives me (or anyone) the right to speak and share my (their) opinion?

Sabina
Sabina

Postby Alvino » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:41 am

There are so many beautiful words we don't even know of!
Good words, with good meanings, expressing something very specific....
Instead, language is being simplified more and more to the point that people call a variety of things by the same name and are then surprised if they are not understood.

beautiful word #1: sychophant and it appears this is NOT practiced in here
among us members = THIS is terrific for helping us to KNOW ourselves.

beautiful word #2: sinecure because you guys are certainly not looking
for the simplest, quickest , way out or for the lazy way for FINDING
THE TRUTH about life or about ONESELF
you all WORK WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT on this job = this is immensely profitable
for all who participate = in my experience.
these words came to mind BECAUSE I believe they are both negatively related to
the almost universal (or in the USA anyways) DUMBING DOWN OF human minds and thinking skills.
The USA is very low in academic accomplishments so what do teachers and
school boards and politicians and many parents do about it - THEY LOWER
the passing grades, etc. It is beginning to appear to me that they
are ALL VERY much l trying to PLEASE EACH other instead of demanding
that we ALL WORK HARDER with our minds and in the Business world.
Bailouts for incompetent work products and for incompetent decision making,
especially with our personal and business Budgets in America.
and, yes, we (USA ) give Tons of free money to incompetent leaders in other
nations, also. .

If by chance I strayed from Your topic or issue in these discussion =
I will admit I went Wrong.
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Alvino wrote:beautiful word #1: sychophant and it appears this is NOT practiced in here
among us members = THIS is terrific for helping us to KNOW ourselves.

beautiful word #2: sinecure because you guys are certainly not looking
for the simplest, quickest , way out or for the lazy way for FINDING
THE TRUTH about life or about ONESELF
you all WORK WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT on this job = this is immensely profitable
for all who participate = in my experience.

Those are excellent words Alvino, great examples of words that say something very specific, especially sycophant.

sycophant –noun
    a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.
    Synonyms: toady, yes man, flunky, fawner, flatterer.
You are right.. there are no sycophants in here. :)

Sabina
Sabina

Postby HGolightly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Dear Virtual Friends,

I just spent three hours this morning thinking and writing my thoughts about "Friendship in Virtual Times". A great topic and one that I had some personal thoughts to share. And, my computer froze and all of that information disappeared.

Prior to expressing my thoughts about this very topic, I took the time to re-watch a 90 minute episode on "Frontline" (that I pre-viewed last month) called, "Digital Nation - Life on the Virtual Frontier", which touches upon this issue and then some. I'd expand, but I'm just feeling a tad bit irritated (at myself for not saving the info.) and am virtually exhausted at all of the time and energy spent that just cyber-anished (my word). A sign for me to switch gears and go for a run in the sun. Any hoots, I found this documentary to be interesting.

H.
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby HGolightly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:46 pm

I was obsessing about not getting that darn video posted and thought I'd give another try before heading out. And, voila ... there it was. Thank you very much!! <3
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 am

Sabina wrote:
Mirjana wrote:Who gives any right to any of them to think that what she or he thinks is the truth to be followed?

Mirjana,

I am not sure if I understand your question.
Are you, in essence, asking who gives me (or anyone) the right to speak and share my (their) opinion?

Sabina

Sabina,
I put a general question that touches myself too if I was one of two. The question was about any two and the attention was on the question about reaching an agreement who is right and who is wrong in such case.
And of course it was not about sharing opinion, because I also do that as you and all of us here, it was about how to come to some kind of concensus about that what is the truth in the particular subject. It is my personal doubt not awaked by this topic, it is my general doubt about the ability of people to agree about something and find the golden middle.
I hope it answers your question.

=0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology