Frasier - Frazier

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Frasier - Frazier

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:58 am

If you are familiar with the TV series from the 80s called "Cheers", then you probably remember the character called Dr. Frasier Crane, a psychologist played by Kelsey Grammer.
frasier.jpg
frasier.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

Later Kelsey Grammer played the same character in another TV series called "Frasier", so he was the main feature. I liked both, but especially the Frasier series.

Anyway, the other day I came across a picture of B.F. Skinner (also a psychologist) when he was young, and here he is what he looked like.
skinner.jpg
skinner.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

The resemblance between him and Frasier is striking.
Not Skinner as he looked later, but at this point in his life without a doubt.

So I wondered.. is this a coincidence?
Some told me that it is... but I am not big on coincidences, so I researched it a bit.

Skinner is well known for several things, one of which is his non-fiction book "Walden Two".
One of the main characters in that book is called Frazier with a 'z'.
B0)

I thought that was a nice coincidence.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Frasier - Frazier

Postby mirjana » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Just following your intuition you have made a very interesting research.
I can hardly believe that this coincidence means nothing. We shall see...
Nice information, thank you.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 am

Well, I thought I kind of showed that it is not a coincidence, but I may be mistaken.

Here is a clip from "Frasier", the TV series.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Carl Jung didn't believe in coincidences...
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

C.G. Jung on Coincidences

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 pm

The problem of synchronicity has puzzled me for a long time, ever since the middle twenties, when I was investigating the phenomena of the collective unconscious and kept on coming across connections which I simply could not explain as chance groupings or 'runs.' What I found were 'coincidences' which were connected so meaningfully that their 'chance' concurrence would represent a degree of improbability that would have to be expressed by an astronomical figure. -
Carl Jung, Collected Works vol. 8

Couples have often remarkable coincidences of thought, so they have the same parallelism in dreams. They can even exchange dreams. -
Carl Jung

Chance is an event, too, and if it didn't exist causality would be axiomatic. Meaningful coincidences present a tremendous problem which it is impossible to overestimate. Leibniz as well as Schopenhauer had inklings of it, but they gave a false answer because they started with an axiomatic causality.
C.G. Jung

Causality as a statistical truth presupposes the existence of acausality, otherwise it cannot be a statistical truth. In other words, the exceptions to causality are real facts which I try to envisage from the standpoint of their meaningful coincidences or synchronicity. As a rule the improbability of a series of meaningful coincidences (i.e., of identical meaning) increases with the number of its individual occurrences. -
C.G. Jung

In a Swiss journal recently an article appeared about an interesting case of coincidence: a man celebrating his birthday; his wife had given him a new pipe as a present. He took a walk, sitting down on a bench under a tree. Another elderly man came along and sat down beside him, smoking the same kind of pipe. Mr. A. drew Mr. B's attention to the fact that they both smoked the same pipe, whereupon Mr. B. told him that he was celebrating his birthday on the same date and had received the pipe from his wife. He introduced himself and it turned out that both had the same christian name Fritz. - The rest is darkness! Mr. A. had the feeling that possibly a superior intelligence was at work. It would be most desirable to know a lot more about the psychology of the two fellows and what the possible reason was for this coincidence. -
C.G. Jung in a letter to H.J. Barrett on 26 March 1957[b][/b]
mirjana

Is the universe ruled by randomness and chaos or by order?

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Synchronicity is one of the answers to the question if the universe is ruled by randomness and chaos or by order.
Actually so much in nature is in the process of orderly change (days and nights, seasons and all other changes in nature coming through it).
Orderliness is in the subatomic world, in our DNA, in the process of birth and growing...
The natural sciences are based on the natural law (chemistry, physics, astronomy…).
The level of our consciousness change the random into the order .Our perception and awareness about things transform the random into the orderliness. The fact that we learned something doesn't prove the existence of that something. Contrary. It has always been there only we haven't known about it until the moment of awareness. It only proves that we came on the level to know, recognize, and understand or.... that something.
With quantum physics we have got a spiritual vision of reality showing us that everything is connected and interdependent. Synchronicity is one of many proves of that interdependency.
I think that synchronicity is the whisper of universe that has always been around. It is a kind of notes of our existence. The question is when we become aware of it, as the synchronicity game starts only with our awareness. Only then we start to flow deeper and deeper in understanding why we are here and what is our mission.
We are not accidentally here. Synchronicity moments remind us that whenever we catch the messages from the universe, understand it, take it and became aware of it, our understanding of our place in all that interdependency grows.

Mirjana
mirjana

Return to Psychology