Fear or Laziness

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Fear or Laziness

Postby Sabina » Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 am

A scene from the movie Waking Life

Transcript:

There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life and those who suffer from an overabundance of life. I've always found myself in the second category.

When you come to think of it, almost all human behavior and activity is not essentially any different from animal behavior. The most advanced technologies and craftsmanship bring us, at best, up to the super-chimpanzee level.

Actually, the gap between, say, Plato or Nietzsche and the average human is greater than the gap between that chimpanzee and the average human.
The realm of the real spirit, the true artist, the saint, the philosopher, is rarely achieved.

Why so few?
Why is world history and evolution not stories of progress but rather this endless and futile addition of zeroes?
No greater values have developed.
Hell, the Greeks years ago were just as advanced as we are.

So what are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their real potential?

The answer to that can be found in another question, and that's this:
Which is the most universal human characteristic:
fear or laziness?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Fear or Laziness

Postby mirjana » Sun May 16, 2010 3:22 pm

I think that fear and laziness are very connected. Because of being lazy people do not confront their fear issues, and because of being frightened, they retreat more and more from any confrontation, which automatically leads to laziness. These two are interconnected. I do not know what worst, maybe laziness is. Why? Fear can be caused by some past and unconscious reasons and therefore harder to solve. Laziness though is a kind of personal chosen character´s make up, something people chose to be.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Fear or Laziness?
Circumstance or Indecision?
Reality or Illusion?

Who knows, life is a series of circumstances with which we struggle, it was the same for the ancient Greeks too.
We naturally struggle against circumstance, against ourselves, but thats how we learn who we are. Mostly we learn very slowly, some are blessed with inner conviction and for them the red sea parts almost daily.
The rest of us learn to swim...just in case.

The trick is not to stand still.
The Buddists would believe that a period of struggle is to be welcomed, believeing that progress was therefore a possibility.

Fear and Laziness are just two obstacles, pretty difficult ones.
Indecision is a big one for me.

I used to be indecisive........or was i?
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Sun May 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Dermot,

I like every word from your answer. I give you Kudos for this.
=0)
mirjana

Postby dermot » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Maybe my earlier reply needs some attention.

Fear and Laziness are both negatives within the human condition, if left unchallenged they dominate our lives and we achieve / learn nothing.

Sometimes we get kicked in the a$$ ⊗ by life, and it keeps hurting until or unless we do something to address the problem.
Finding the root cause has to lead to the cure, its inevitable. The cure usually involves some yucky medicine, taking it is a decision to become well - to honour ourselves.

Refusing to take the cure is .............a waste of opportunity, and the a$$ ⊗ keeps getting kicked.

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Mon May 17, 2010 10:56 pm

dermot wrote:Maybe my earlier reply needs some attention.

Fear and Laziness are both negatives within the human condition, if left unchallenged they dominate our lives and we achieve / learn nothing.

Sometimes we get kicked in the a$$ ⊗ by life, and it keeps hurting until or unless we do something to address the problem.
Finding the root cause has to lead to the cure, its inevitable. The cure usually involves some yucky medicine, taking it is a decision to become well - to honour ourselves.

Refusing to take the cure is .............a waste of opportunity, and the a$$ ⊗ keeps getting kicked.

d.

Dermot,

Great additional explanation. =0) I am happy that I gave you Kudos for the first answer. This is additional light in the same direction.
mirjana

Postby ThePermster » Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Fear does not factor into the mediocrity of human history by my reckoning. Why? Because people don't get far enough to pose the questions required to be aware of any cause for fear.

What we're essentially talking about here is changingness or iconoclasm and why it is so rarely sought after and adopted my mankind. And fear of change comes from the consideration of possible ramifications of action.

What I posit is the reason for this historical trend cannot possibly be fear! Because to be fearful implies examination and evaluation of the situation and were those actions to be taken then the situation would inherently experience a minimisation and control effect upon any potential fear felt. The consideration and evaluation involved with considering the fear inspiring action would at the same time examine the fear, minimising it's effectiveness, resulting in a more efficient resolution to the need for change and also resulting in a better introspective control of the feeling.

This I think would imply that human history is an incessant flatline due to a lack of consideration and examination of the situation in the first place. This is laziness. Or, more accurately, willing ignorance.

Further thought into ideological evolution and the realities of human sapience seeks to confirm this.

Also, love that film excerpt; brilliant Louis Mackey quote.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Ryan » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Does not the fear of failure keep one from acting, exploring, or otherwise questioning things?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby ThePermster » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Ryan wrote:Does not the fear of failure keep one from acting, exploring, or otherwise questioning things?

To fear failure one must have first considered failure, and consideration can only lead to proper resolution.

I think that is essentially the crux of my argument.

I hate when you type out a whole diatribe and realise you could have put it far more eloquently in barely a paragraph. x]
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Ryan » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm

So, you are saying that in essence if anyone actually considers anything they have to come to a "proper resolution" in which case they would have to conclude there is nothing to be afraid of or that that will certainly succeed?

So there is no chance that as a result of someone's consideration they can resolve that failure is inevitable?... be it factual or delusional?

So, if I have ever considered action and reaction then couldn't I systematically assume to apply the result of the initial consideration to every following action without having to re-consider the same thing for every action that follows? And if I deducted that I fail more times than I succeed couldn't my overall approach be logically assumed that failure is more probable than success? In which case... I could develop a phobia... or fear which would inhibit me from putting forth any initial effort because my conclusions are that I will fail... therefore the attempt is never made.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Next

Return to Spirited Debate