Fascinating Structures

The art (and science) of designing buildings & structures. Focusing on the artistic aspect of architecture.

Fascinating Structures

Postby Sabina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I am rarely amazed by modern architecture, though there are exceptions, but I cannot imagine anything to be constructed that would, for me, compare to the significance of certain already existing structures.
There are a few locations that hold a very special meaning for me, in most of these cases I don't even know why exactly. I do plan to find out within my lifetime, so I definitely will, but for now I wanted to share them with you.

If there is any spot on Earth, any structure built by humans, that has a special significance for you personally, I invite you share it here as well. With, or without the background story. That's up to you!

__1__
My 3 Top Spots

1. Karnak, Egypt
The Karnak Temple Complex - usually called Karnak - comprises a vast conglomeration of ruined temples, chapels, pylons, and other buildings, notably the Great Temple of Amen and a massive structure begun by Pharaoh Ramses II (ca. 1391–1351 BC). An ancient sacred lake is part of the site as well. It is located near Luxor, some 500 km south of Cairo, in Egypt. The area around Karnak was the ancient Egyptian Ipet-isut ("The Most Selected of Places") and the main place of worship of the eighteenth dynasty Theban Triad with the god Amun as its head. It is part of the monumental city of Thebes.

karnak1.jpg
karnak1.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

karnak2.jpg
karnak2.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

karnak3.jpg
karnak3.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

2. Petra, Jordan
The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt. It was described as "a rose-red city half as old as time" in a Newdigate Prize-winning sonnet by John William Burgon. UNESCO has described it as "one of the most precious cultural properties of man's cultural heritage."

petra1.jpg
petra1.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

petra2.jpg
petra2.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

petra3.jpg
petra3.jpg (111.67 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

3. Various temples, Cambodia
Angkor Wat (or Angkor Vat) and Angkor Thom are a couple of the many temples I would like to visit when in Cambodia.

cambodia1.jpg
cambodia1.jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

cambodia2.jpg
cambodia2.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

cambodia3.jpg
cambodia3.jpg (110.84 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

cambodia4.jpg
cambodia4.jpg (126.71 KiB) Viewed 21795 times

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Fascinating Structures

Postby mirjana » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Sabina wrote:I am rarely amazed by modern architecture, though there are exceptions, but I cannot imagine anything to be constructed that would, for me, compare to the significance of certain already existing structures.

These words could be mine. 80S
What a walk through the eternal beauty. They are all amazing, but I am breathless in front of Petra in Jordan. Thank you for reminding us to this beauty.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Alexander » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:38 am

Modern architecture often seems disconnected from the surrounding environment, from nature itself. Those beautiful examples you included, Sabina, even though they are human constructions, artificial they seem to blend with their surroundings in an unintrusive way. We are part of nature, but somehow we have managed to set ourselves apart from it opposing it in every way we can. Those structures stand there with their solemn, majestic presence reminding us of our origins, our past and future.

Love,
Alexander
"The high mission of any art is, by its illusions, to foreshadow a higher universe reality, to crystallize the emotions of time into the thought of eternity."
Alexander

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 2

Borobudur

Postby Jade » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Borobudur, Indonesia is the largest Buddhist monument in the world.
borobudur.jpg
Borobudur, Indonesia
borobudur.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 17273 times

The icon in my signature is the floor plan of Borobudur and looks like a Mandala.
borobudur.gif
borobudur.gif (64.28 KiB) Viewed 17273 times

Borobudur, or Barabudur, is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist monument near Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia. The monument comprises six square platforms topped by three circular platforms, and is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues.[1] A main dome, located at the center of the top platform, is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues seated inside perforated stupa.

The monument is both a shrine to the Lord Buddha and a place for Buddhist pilgrimage. The journey for pilgrims begins at the base of the monument and follows a path circumambulating the monument while ascending to the top through the three levels of Buddhist cosmology, namely Kāmadhātu (the world of desire), Rupadhatu (the world of forms) and Arupadhatu (the world of formlessness). During the journey the monument guides the pilgrims through a system of stairways and corridors with 1,460 narrative relief panels on the wall and the balustrades.
From Wikipedia
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Personality: Ambivert
Kudos: 7

Postby mirjana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 pm

The Metéora is one of the largest and most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Greece.The six monasteries are built on natural sandstone rock pillars, at the northwestern edge of the Plain of Thessaly near the Pineios river and Pindus Mountains, in central Greece.
The meaning of the word in Greek is"suspended in the air" or "in the heavens above".
The Metéora is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List .
200px-07Meteora01.jpg
200px-07Meteora01.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 17264 times

The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron is the largest of the monasteries located at Metéora. It was erected in the mid-14th century AD and was the subject of restoration and embellishment projects in 1483 and 1552. Today it serves as the main museum .
mirjana

Postby mirjana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 pm

800px-Meteora_Varlaam_IMG_7800.jpg
800px-Meteora_Varlaam_IMG_7800.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 17263 times

The Holy Monastery of Varlaam is the second largest monastery in the Metéora complex. It was built in 1541 and embellished in 1548.
mirjana

Postby mirjana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 pm

800px-AgiaTriada.jpg
800px-AgiaTriada.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 17263 times

The Monastery of the Holy Trinity is on top of the cliffs. It was built in 1475 and was remodeled many times until the middle of the 18th century.
mirjana

Return to Architecture