Even this shall pass

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Even this shall pass

Postby Naveen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Krishna said :
"O son of Kuntī, the nonpermanent appearance of happiness and distress, and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense perception, O scion of Bharata, and one must learn to tolerate them without being disturbed."

Ahem! At troughs I should remember there shall be crests , and yes crests shall be followed by troughs..

Wherever I am I shall remember, even this shall pass !
Naveen

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Magical
Kudos: 3

Re: Even this shall pass

Postby mirjana » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Change is the only constant thing.
Those who have the vibration 5 in some of their core numbers do not have problems with change and can easier understand this. But those who do not have it suffer even because of small changes in life.
The "helpful" proverb is: " People can endure the unimaginable". So, whether we love it or not, life pushes us through changes. When we are down it is comforting to know that this shall pass. But, it is very wise to know the same when we are in a blissful moment and therefore to enjoy the moment with awareness.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Naveen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 pm

' People can endure unimaginable ' Wow ! I find this so motivating and inspiring ! Thanks :)
Naveen

Postby ThePermster » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 pm

What I find the great wonder of this is why people fail to notice how transient feelings are in the first place. It doesn't seem rocket science to me. Though I guess people are extremely time biased by nature I suppose.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Naveen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Technically only rocket science should seem rocket science :P

I hear its an interesting subject- Rocket Science :)
Naveen

Postby ThePermster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Haha! You're not wrong there! =]
ThePermster

Postby Naveen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:24 pm

How do you tell not wrong from wrong ?
Naveen

Postby ThePermster » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am

Reasoned deduction, but I think that's going a tad off topic now.
ThePermster

Postby Daywhite » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 am

Mirjana,

I completely agree that the only constant in life is change. There is change for the good and change for the not so good, and, often, it takes a while before we're able to tell whether what just happened to us was good change or bad. The only alternative to change, as I see it, is death.

I love what you say, "People can endure the unimaginable." I think this is true and has been proven over and over through the ages. Groups of people, as those trapped in warring nations, are able to endure; they may be affected by all they've been through, perhaps changed forever, but they can survive. And they will be stronger, in many ways, for what they have survived. This is true not just of groups but individuals, as well.

I like your use of the word "unimaginable." I like this because unimaginable seems to speak to something one is unfamiliar with. Say, for example, you have one who has survived some huge disaster. This person, in the not too distant future, is faced with a similar disaster. I would guess when the first disaster struck, his initial reaction was panic and fear, having no idea what to expect. But, having survived the first disaster, when the second one happens, many around him, unfamiliar with what is happening, will panic and fret, having no clue of the degree of the disaster or how it may affect them. Our initial subject, who has survived a previous disaster, will often react as if it were simply another situation, not pleasant, but definitely survivable. We live and we learn. And it is through change that we learn.

A young child who hurts herself, say she falls and cuts herself, or maybe even breaks a bone. She has never experienced blood pouring from her body like this; she has never experienced the pain of a broken bone. As she sees it, as her lack of experience with this will have taught her, she doesn't know if this will ever end. Is she going to bleed forever? Will she die? Is the pain of the broken bone going to last forever? Will she ever be able to use her arm/leg again? She has no idea, so she panics. Her fear of the unknown leaves her no personal comfort to rely on, so mom and dad, someone, has to step in to reassure her, "This, too, shall pass." As she ages, surviving cuts and scrapes, broken bones and broken hearts, she is able to more calmly react to things she has faced before. The changes and challenges she has faced have made her stronger. As you say, "When we are down it is comforting to know that this shall pass." The comfort in which we find strength is built only through change.

Your last line, "But, it is very wise to know the same when we are in a blissful moment and therefore to enjoy the moment with awareness," reminds me of a few lines from William Blake,

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."

We must enjoy every moment of bliss we encounter, treating it as an eternity, whether it lasts a second or a hour. The bliss will end, so,
"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying."
-- Robert Herrick.

Yes, tomorrow, some tomorrow to come, we will die, but today, TODAY, the flower is smiling. Even this shall pass, the good and the bad; all the more reason to enjoy every second of smiling flowers and the gift they call the present. I hope I haven't strayed from the topic too much, here. Simply where my mind wandered when I read what you had written.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 18

Postby Naveen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:48 am

Lovely lines Daywhite :):)

Thanks!
Naveen