Empathy

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Empathy

Postby Leahann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:44 am

Alvino

This came to mind because I do not know if empathy
is only related to physical or emotional pains OTHERS are suffering.

Can't we have empathy with their JOY.?/

Sabina

It does seem that most people automatically connect empathy with pain, sorrow or dark feelings in general, rather than with positive feelings. If it is empathy, then it is both. It does not judge.

I agree with Sabina on this...Empathy is all experience...Pain or Joy.

What I've found is that very often folks that are in traumatic experiences, because they are so charged with energy are often jolted into a very intense experience of empathy...the same may be said with a really joyful experienced that is charged with intense energy, however in the case of war typically it is the traumatic.

:) Leahann
Leahann

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 2

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 am

And in religion it is cult like. 80S
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Leahann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:34 am

Yup George I see what you mean... 80|
Leahann

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Which feeling or emotion is "cult" or "cult-like"?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 pm

No particular emotion is cult like; it is the use of shared intense empathy that can weld together confirm/create the bond between members of a group that can make the group cult like. I see it happen often in "charismatic" church worshiping and "praising". =0o
GenerousGeorge

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Hm.... so.... ritual generates empathy?
It would kind of seem that way, and it makes sense on some level.

Rituals: Connecting People

B0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 pm

I like the evolution of this talk. The stronger the emotional charge, the easier it is for the person to catch the emotions of another, either as a giver or recipient of emotions. I think that it is well known and therefore used or misused as a possibility for people to come closer to each other. All kind of rituals (chants, singing, dances, some other practices...) release energy. When released energy is in flow and interferes easier. People in sadness share easier, people in joy the same. The same continues in as many variations of communications people develop between each other.
When we are a part of the group in learning, same goal for being together enforces the group energy and within this charged level of energy, much better results are made than in the individual work. This is what I know from my personal experience. The experience George shared about AA is based on the same principle which is to enhance empathy between members in mutual emotional sharing.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Leahann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

This brings up some memories that relate on this level.

I remember being in some church meetings...one in particular where I was very open.

One of the things I like to do when a group is energized is feel the enhanced euphoric energy that is often created and this happens a lot in pentecostal meeting and similar church groups.

On this one occasion I was in a group of about 200 people, and while I knew the ones around me I knew nobody else there and felt kinda invisible.

As everyone was standing up and caught up in praise and speaking in tongues I felt the urge to disconnect from the group feeling of elation and feel individuals.

While I am naturally very sensitive in this environment it is so enhanced...so I felt those around me and there were some that were simply full of the feeling of the moment in that blissful state with no thought, while others were pretending to be and their thoughts were different.

I felt so much, from heart break, a great deal of fear and almost mindlessness.

Hmmm now that I think of it do to that experience, as I felt so much hypocritical thoughts etc, I don't think I ever went back to church, except for funerals and wedding etc.

Anyhow...there is no real point to this other then for confirmation that such events effect us in an Empathic manner.

Leahann =0/
Leahann

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 pm

and.......that some people affected that way are influenced to fly airplanes into buildings, send soldiers to Iraq, kill doctors who perform abortions etc. etc. etc. 80S =0o 80S

"Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?" B0)
GenerousGeorge

Postby Leahann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:17 pm

On the negative side of things...yes George I think so...in a way I think it is an aspect that is used by organizations to reprogram or reinforce subconscious programing...through creating or enhancing empathic experiences.

Keeping in mind that I believe that all beliefs are based on our experiences, emotionally...empathy is almost a direct link to that area...or so it would seem.

On the positive side of this we can look at Anthony Robins, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra (sp?) and other such motivational and inspirational individuals that effect us in a generally healthy and positive manner.

Interesting how this thread is going...I honestly would not have thought to take it to this level...and I don't mean that in a bad way at all...it is good to be aware of these things.

Thanks
=0) Leahann
Leahann

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology