Empathy

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Empathy

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Wellllll....truth in lending, I'm 68 and I dreamed recently that in a previous life I was a tent maker. 80S =0o 80S
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm

PSSST........... also Alvino I'll let you in on a little secret....come closer.... 80S OMAR HAS BEEN DEAD MOST OF THOSE 1,000 YEARS!!
GenerousGeorge

Postby Leahann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

OK...sooo...about Empathy ;0) ...

I've done quite a bit of research on this subject, reading other peoples experiences and some of the science or official research done as well as a vast personal history within my own journey.

What seems clear to me is that Empathy exists within us all to some degree or another, in some very little while in others it is almost their entire experience.

Empathy is often confused with telepathy and other psychic abilities as they often go hand in hand with one another in some manner, although I've found that empathy is not the dominating gift when this is the case, although sometimes it is.

What I've found so far is that those people that are truly empath's in an extreme way are in fact born with this gift in tact...and while most generally find ways to block a chunk of this as they grow, in order to survive the emotional onslaught of the people around them, can never really completely eliminate it's effects.

While it's already been said...I just want to confirm that Empathy is the ability to experience another people emotions and life events as they feel within the other person. In other words if I were to pick up on an event from your life in an empathic manner it would be as though I personally lived it.

This is not simply limited to one person to another either, it also relates to the ability to pick up on and feel experiences of other life forms...animals...plants etc...at some level or another.

Empathy should never be confused with compassion or sympathy, because it is a different experience all together as it is in it's true nature simply experiencing another's experience...and while this experience is usually accompanied with a feeling of sympathy or compassion it is not essentially those things.

While I've read some great explanations of the levels of empathy I can't seem to find the references off hand so will attempt to share my understandings...

At the lowest of dullest levels of empathy a person feels or has a sense of another's person discomfort, anxiety or joy from a distance or in person...however in person we can associate this with visual clues so it would not be obvious...however most people have at one time or another felt a loved ones anxiety or overwhelming joy at times even when they are thousands of miles away.

What we call a mothers intuition, or lets be fair a parents intuition as men are also prone to this is often accompanied by visualizations and feeling of an event that is happening or happened with their children, those that are closest to them in physical form and energy.

We move up to those that occasionally pick up on a persons feelings of the moment or a flash of an event of someones past, but it is random...not an occurrence that is consistently experienced. This level is associated with those people that feel a sense of the feelings of another, but they do not completely experience the event etc.

(Note...I don't feel I'm truly expressing the completeness of the above and would encourage your personal investigation on these levels of empathy for a more dynamic explanation)

And here is where my understanding is my experience and the experiences of the handful of souls I've met and am close to that were born open and empathic.

At this level of empathy I coin it as being like a two edged sword...both an amazing gift and a very overwhelming and consuming event.

The gifts of this are many, in the event that we are able to assist another in understanding a situation or self, as well as heal and also in the simple joy of sharing the beauty of the persons experience.

The flip side is when the event or emotions that are being shared, that you are experiencing are overwhelming and in a fashion putting you into a state of shock because of the magnitude of the event.

To give an example...when a person happens along and I am overwhelmed with the feeling and often the visual of an event in that persons life that was devastating, such as the experience of watching a parent being brutally beaten. This feeling can become all consuming and the pain and anguish is very real...all the way to the physical manifestation of the emotional pain.

A real issue for us is that we usually don't recognize this ability until we are in our adulthood, and by then...those emotions, feelings and experiences we have picked up from those around us have become to us our experience and thus we are usually very confused and emotional mess's in general.

As was mentioned earlier we often create blocks or filters as young people as these events are so overwhelming they threaten our sanity, so in a way we learn naturally to limit our experiences through others ... however to truly realize the benefits of this gift and see it as a gift in general we learn control and find understanding...as well we learn to distinguish when the feelings or events are actually ours or another's.

OK...I've been at this too long this morning...so will leave well enough alone...and maybe continue later.
=0D Leahann
Leahann

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 2

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 pm

WOW! VERY, VERY INTERESTING! =0/ I feel that I have empathy to a degree I have to keep it from affecting how I function on a daily level. Maybe thats why my PTSD from combat in Vietnam is so severe. I felt the same empathy for the people we were fighting and all the innocent civilians in the middle. =0o

Good Grief! I'm lucky I'm semi-sane! 80S
GenerousGeorge

Postby mirjana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 pm

GenerousGeorge wrote:...
I feel that I have empathy to a degree I have to keep it from affecting how I function on a daily level.

That's it!!! Leahann synergized your understanding of empathy so that you brought such an excellent description. Exactly that is what divides empathy from intuition, telepathy...
However we try, it still affects our functioning on a daily level.
Wow...

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 pm

I really don't want to be advocating Christianity; there is so much in it's literaure and spoken by it's earthly leaders, that I think are not conducive to a healthy, wealthy, wise and self fulfilled humanity, but "truth in lending",when I ask Christians what was the big deal (sacrifice) of Jesus dying on the cross, when he knew that in 3 short days, he would be back with Dad, er back with himself next to the Holy Spirit er whatever.....he would be back on the throne in the Kingdom of heaven. B0) King of The Hill again B0)

They often respond with words to the effect that he had to take the burden of the sins of humanity on himself (ultimate empathy) and that was what the great sacrifice was all about. =0o

The pentultimate PTSD perhaps. That at least makes some sense as an analogy, but then if he dies to take that burden off from us why must we still bear it? =0/
GenerousGeorge

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 am

Although not advocating Christianity, you are the one who took it as an example for this game, so I stay in it. Do you remember the big house and what Sabina said that I love games? ;0)
"...he had to take the burden of the sins of humanity on himself (ultimate empathy) and that was what the great sacrifice was all about. =0o

The penultimate PTSD perhaps. That at least makes some sense as an analogy, but then if he dies to take that burden off from us why must we still bear it? =0/"

Because if we understand in our lives the meaning of ultimate empathy, maybe we shall analogous to that also discover the purpose to be here and peace when being here stops. Just a hypothesis...

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby GenerousGeorge » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 am

and a good one.....but not evidence for the historical validity of Jesus. =0/
GenerousGeorge

Postby Randall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 am

I'm enjoying reading all the posts... and I said I would get back to this.

Mirjana wrote
If I were you, I would ask myself what is the fear behind the realization of having strong empathy within you. Let it be free, embrace it in order to learn to live with this. It is a gift that is not there without reason.
Could you define what do you see today as an emotion that stayed behind the realization of empathy in these early years?

The fear comes from feeling unclean. No one asked me to see, feel inside them like that and I saw some things from certain people they would have never willingly shared with me. Thats the core of it.

I can't seem to reach into that emotion Mirjana. It always came as a shock and I wasn't expecting it. That's about all I can remember about it right now.

George I think your on to something with your thought process and I also think you might have found a possible key to your PTSD.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 am

Randall, could you remember a situation when else you felt that way, unclean?
What does this word mean to you? Are you able to put it as passive and active and see what happens?
Have you ever thought about that what is the concept of conscience and guilty for you?
Can you describe a feeling of shame? When does it appear by people?

George, I love your story about being picked up and learning from that experience. I have similar experiences with the same result. When I read your lines about movies, books and how you feel things in advance and about your uncomfortability because of that, again the same. Unpleasant experiences cause charge in our body and they guide our mind, visual and mental approaches. The only way to deal with them is to peel the charge which is connected to them. Then they are still here but like photos in the album, without emotional charge that causes problems.

Mirjana
mirjana

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology