Empathy

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Empathy

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 am

Hi Randall,

It is very nice that you have shared with us all these experiences because I also think that what will come out of this will be the bliss for some people, maybe including yourself.
I shall try to explain my understanding of this.
Intensity of your empathic visions during the early childhood are logical, as in this period of life children are still not as much caught with other influences as later in life, and therefore closer to the source. If you additionally have some 11’ and six’ in you numerology chart it would be then easier for you to understand things happening to you.
Why you shut yourself down from that source was because you didn’t know how to deal with that. People do that, especially children and when they do not know how to deal a situation they avoid it. Pushing things deep in the unconscious level is one of ways to avoid it. Still, it is there all the time waiting to be awakening, as it is something you have and you cannot and should not ignore. You said that out of these experiences you learned compassion. No, you have been compassionate all the time, and because of great of compassion is most probably that an amount of compassion energy transforms into the empathic feelings for those around you.
And yes, you are right, people do act the way they do based on a past experiences they had. It is for sure that Joey’s father also suffered physical abuse. He didn’t learn better. His son could choose to hate him and then this energy would direct his behavior to be the same as his father’s or at least to understand the reasons behind which will make him a better person. The same with your mother. And it seems that both made such choices. For them and their way they have chosen love and understanding instead of hate. Such choice enables them not to suppress their experiences (which would not be good) but to accept them as a part of their life which will not affect their now. Instead of looking backwards they have chosen present. This way allows love to enter into the life instead of hate and bitterness. It was a healing energy for them and thanks to that they didn’t affect those around them with negative energy.
Passivity is not a way to go, it brings nowhere and mostly hurts the one who suppress things and withdraws.
If I were you, I would ask myself what is the fear behind the realization of having strong empathy within you. Let it be free, embrace it in order to learn to live with this. It is a gift that is not there without reason.
Could you define what do you see today as an emotion that stayed behind the realization of empathy in these early years?

Love
Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Randall » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:11 am

Mirjana... can you ask this another way for me?

Could you define what do you see today as an emotion that stayed behind the realization of empathy in these early years?
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 am

When you think today about the experiences from that time back, what is the dominant emotion you have now when thinking about it?
Are you able to see from today's perspective what were your emotions the time back when you became aware of your abilities?
So, possibly that there are two kind of emtions connected with these experiences, one from the past, and one from today. I asked you about these two emotions.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Randall » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 am

:) thank you, that's much clearer.

I'll have to meditate on it and come back to this ;0)
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm

מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
What is the meaning of these letters?

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Randall » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 pm

The kingdom of heaven resides with in you. Written in Hebrew
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Thank you. Knowing you so far, I could imagine something like that.
I stand for these words.

=0)
Mirjana
mirjana

Postby theadvertheretic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

The Delayed gift of pain,
Cherish form thy eyes into morsels of beliefs;
The contours on a face drenched from a heart,
Your soul seeping through into a time of mystic art.

Empathy holds the very guise of a pure humane instinct in you. Which is much sublimer than the instinct to survive because it acknowledges life, it's sustainability and dept of intangible feelings (which are predominantly undefined).

<3
Maheep.
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:21 am

Hmmm, interesting. This has made me think of my feeling of empathy for the weak and abused.....emotionally or physically. In my early school years I was pretty small, skinny, frail and with my father in the Army, I got to go to a lot of different schools. Probably went to 7 or 8 schools in first 12 grades.

I was great target bait for the bullies who could spot a new (small, skinny, scared guy) from a mile away. It resulted in a little physical abuse from the bullies, but mostly it meant emotional abuse from my peers.

As I got older, I got a growth spurt around 9th grade and almost overnight, it seemed, I was 6' 5". 210 lbs and on the way to becoming a pretty good athlete. I wasn't the toughest guy in school, but the bullies thought twice about messing with me and turned their attentions to weaker targets.

Still I know to this day the feelings of being picked on, made fun off and used as a focus for some punks cruel humour.

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW IT FEELS!

So, to this day when I see a smaller weaker person being abused in a movie, in a book or video, I relate to them and experience the same emotions they go through by watching or reading about them. When I am watching a movie for example, I can forsee that is about to happen in a plot and I just want to get away and not have to empathize with them, even though it's just a movie, or on TV or in a boodk....whatever?

As an aside, this is why we need political leaders that have suffered the real front line trauma of war because they would be hugely more reluctant to commit young people to that experience because of his empathy for them.

Now I hear you all discussing how empathy is almost a telepathic mirror very closely related to direct mental communication between people. I think that is an interesting thought. It is kind of like when we would set up the big antennas for the radios in the Army, we had to "match frequencies" with the sender and receiver to receive messages. Very interesting concept......with emotional empathy being the "matching" antennas.

The big boys down at the corner once told me that when they smoked them funny smelling cigarettes, they sometimes seemed to be in wordless communication with a fellow smoker.

We don't know what we don't know. =0o So much to learn and experience, so little time. If only there was more..... oh wait....maybe there is. B0)
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Alvino » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 am

The kingdom of heaven resides with in you. Written in Hebrew

HEAVEN IS the joy of your FULFILLED DESIRE.
HELL IS merely the pain of your UNFULFILLED DESIRE.

OMAR Kyam the tent Maker.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology