Emotional Intelligence

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Emotional Intelligence

Postby mirjana » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 pm

The concept of Emotional Intelligence is born in the mid 1990´, but is mostly popularized after 1995 when Daniel Goleman´s book Emotional Intelligence was presented to the world. His book is based on previous contributions of scientists, and to name a few, they are John Meyer, Peter Salovey, Howard Gardner, Robert Sternberg and Jack Block. In his book he personally mostly refers to the ability to keep and nurture good relationships,which is possible by identifying and managing personal emotions and the emotions of others in daily life.
For some it means how to show or suppress emotions, or how to read emotions. Some people refer Emotional Intelligence to how we express our emotions in music and art, some how emphatic we are etc.
Personally I would not limit this to any specific description. For me it is how our heart responds in daily situations emotionally when expressing self and when receiving the emotional expressions of others.
As for the words of David Caruso given in the topic IQ/EI - Definitions & Quotations, I would additionally say that these two Intelligence aspects are correlating, but they are separated in their expressions.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Emotional Intelligence

Postby mirjana » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 pm

I was privileged recently to hear a beautiful story from my friend who is teaching piano.
Her way in giving her patience and full attention to the autistic child in the moment when many other refused to do that turned to be beautiful life experience about that how we can influence changes, as the boy started to communicate in the way he has never done before.
I consider her acting as an acting out of Emotional Intelligence. She was able to see under the seen and to feel above the visible and ready to try. That way she has shown her emotional word is open to the emotions of others. The result was wonderful moving forward of the boy that enable him and his parents new and beautiful hopes. The motivation of other people who refused to work with that boy, were based on logical conclusion that he can not improve anything through music lessons.
That is the difference between mind and heart. One who has Emotional Intelligence knows in which moment can rely upon the heart and follows this call.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

mirjana wrote:As for the words of David Caruso given in the topic IQ/EI - Definitions & Quotations, I would additionally say that these two Intelligence aspects are correlating, but they are separated in their expressions.

I tend to disagree, but I would like to hear why you see the two as separate. I rather agree with Caruso in that it is a unique intersection of both; it is almost poetic and I can relate to it.
I believe a person can have a high IQ while lacking emotional intelligence, but emotional intelligence does require both - in my opinion. However, I am open to a new argument. :)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Kris » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

I explored intelligence and how it is measured several years ago. We have one adopted son who showed remarkable intelligence at an early age. He was fascinated with numbers and played chess well. He taught himself to read very early and has been accelerated through the grade levels. We talked to experts, had him tested, attended seminars and read many books when deciding how to pursue this little guy’s education.

I am not an expert, I am just a mom, but one of the things that struck me as interesting is that there are seven recognized areas of giftedness. Often called multiple intelligences……interpersonal, intrapersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, naturalistic, and spatial-visual., and recently SPIRITUALLY GIFTED has been added to the list by some experts. Some of these gifted areas are measured in IQ testing, others are only evident in the abilities.

Spiritually gifted children seem to have a much more mature and advance spiritual perspective. Often they consider purusing ministry as a vocation.

Some children or adults have a high intelligence in one area and limited in another. Some show exceptional intelligence in many of the areas.

Studies show that if one child is identified in one of these areas of giftedness, the siblings are 90% likely to also be gifted. Maybe not in the same area but they will be gifted in one of the other multiple intelligences areas.

My identified gifted son’s intelligence is evident in his logical mathematical areas. We have always struggled encouraging him to show empathy towards others. He is well liked, communicates well and a good kid, but can not easily see another person position or opinion.

His biological brother, on the other hand, struggles with spatial-visual learning. Logical-mathematical learning is also very difficult. Unfortunately those are the traits that are necessary for success in school. So by the schools standards, he would not be recognized as gifted. He is a very empathetic child. He is so deeply moved by people and situations that every one of his teachers has commented on his sensitivity.

Is sensitivity emotional intelligence? I don't know. After writing all this I am not sure where emotional intelligence falls in all of this. There is not much you can do to increase IQ. Can you increase your emotional intelligence? I would think environment and love and life experiences would play into all of that.

I do know that studies have shown that cognitive intelligence is a very unreliable indicator of a person’s success and happiness. Emotional intelligence has recently been recognized as an indicator in success in life. Per capita, prisoners are reported to have a much higher percentage of the highly intelligent (IQ) than the general public. What they are missing is the emotional intelligence.

I have now rambled on and said very little. So I will close... =0/

Kris
Kris

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 5

Postby mirjana » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Dear Kris,

You haven´t said a little, but a lot. Actually by giving a personal example you pointed very nicely important aspects of both, IQ and EI.
I think that these two intelligences are separated the same way like breathing and drinking. Both are necessary, but one is not the other.
Kris , you gave a beautiful examples for that what I wanted to say, but I didn´t find the right way to do it.
So, Sabina, if I am a bit more clear now, I would be glad, as that is what I wanted to say.
I also know kids who are brilliant in mathematics but not very gifted in communication skills and some other attributes we could give to EI.
I would not say that one is better than the other. Maybe a higher IQ will be more helpful when a person is alone and have to solve some problems of existential importance. Consequently, higher EI will be better when dealing the situations where other people are involved and the solutions for the community should be found.

Great talk girls, thank you.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Kris,

I do believe that sensitivity is a needed trait in order to have, or even be able to develop emotional intelligence. My son is also very sensitive, but he is also spiritually gifted, and an old soul. He is also highly empathic, which was especially evident when he was younger, because it stood out so very much.

Yes, emotional intelligence can be developed. We might not all start at the same point, but it is comforting to know that we can all follow a similar path and work towards a better understanding.

No ramblings from my point of view, I only see a very nice contribution. Thank you.. :)

By the way, as a mother, but also as a pianist, I think you will find this most interesting:
My Brillant Brain

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Psychology