Emotion vs Reason

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Emotion vs Reason

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 pm

1. Which statement do you consider more of a compliment:
- "That is a very sentimental person", or
- "That is a very logical person"?
2. Which seems the greater error:
- to be too objective, or
- to be too passionate?
3. Are you more attracted to:
- imaginative people, or
- sensible people?

Why?

4. How does imagination fit within emotion and reason?
Who is likely to be more imaginative? The sensible or the emotional? Why?

PS: If you have similar emotion vs. reason questions, throw them into the pot.
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Emotion vs Reason

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Sabina wrote:1. Which statement do you consider more of a compliment:

The word "very" is important for my answer. I think that I would prefer to be in the company of very logical than very sentimental person, although I can imagine that neither is a compliment if is overdosed.
Sabina wrote:Which seems the greater error:
- to be too passionate?

If someone is objective, this word for itself is enough. Then too objective...hm, what could it be? If s/he is too objective, then eventually too disturbing too because of much analyzing or something like that. Too passionate can also be disturbing as overdosed. As error, maybe too objective, as objective is enough. Too passionate...almost never enough of passion. =0/
Sabina wrote:3. Are you more attracted to:
- imaginative people, or
- sensible people?

Interesting question...I think that I am more attracted to imaginative people.
Sabina wrote:4. How does imagination fit within emotion and reason?

I think that imagination involved both, emotion and reason. English is not my mother tongue and I am not sure that I can make so precise distinction between these two words. It seems that sensible is more likely to be imaginative...I am not sure.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby tcm2164 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:25 pm

I think that my answer would depend on the context. In business related circumstances I suppose I would generally prefer to be more rational, if it was relationship related, I would prefer to be viewed as empathetic or sentimental. Ideally, I suppose that I would balance the two.

2. Which seems the greater error:
- to be too passionate?

A great question...I try to address below....[my gut reaction is would be to be too objective]

3. Are you more attracted to:
- imaginative people, or
- sensible people?

Why?
Definitely to imaginative people, but I'm not sure why.

4. How does imagination fit within emotion and reason?

Of this I am not sure. The best way I can describe my view is to say that, very generally, sensible people are imaginative in practical ways. Their ideas and creations tend to be more utilitarian, meaning they server some practical purpose in everyday life.

Emotional people are imaginative/creative in ways that stir emotions. They sing, dance, write, speak, make music, paint, sculpt, act, etc. in ways that evoke and/or convey feelings and passion.

PS: If you have similar emotion vs. reason questions, throw them into the pot.

There is a good book on the relationship between emotion and reason. The title is Decartes' Error. It was written by Antonio Damasio who I believe is an Italian neuroscientist. Basically Damasio believed, contrary to mainstream thought, that reason is dependent on emotion. That one is necessary for the other. The traditional view [I think] is that reason and emotion are at opposite ends of a continuum or spectrum. And, that emotion, tends to cloud or bias reason/rational thought. Damasio made a pretty good case that the spectrum metaphor does not apply universally. I'm certainly no expert, but it was a fascinating book.
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for telling about this book. It sounds very interesting and is worth buying it. As you said: "my gut reaction ..." =0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby tcm2164 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:35 pm

mirjana wrote:Hi Tim,

Thanks for telling about this book. It sounds very interesting and is worth buying it. As you said: "my gut reaction ..." =0)

Mirjana, please let me know how you like it...I'll try to find my copy and read it again so we can discuss. =0D
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby abarilov » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:29 pm

I agree with tcm2164 when he talks about the interconnection between the two.
Damasio believed, contrary to mainstream thought, that reason is dependent on emotion. That one is necessary for the other.

I admit in taking the gnostic approach of trying to find unification in all dualities, but this thought occurred to me while I was reading Emile Coue's writings on Auto-Suggestion. He says that our conscious, reasonable thoughts are products of our subconscious. That is to say, our subconscious habits and emotional reactions will dictate our conscious thoughts. He adds, however, that it is just as easy for our conscious thoughts to dictate our habits and emotional reactions. For instance, a person can tell a lie so many times that it becomes truth. On the flip side, a person can base a belief on a subconscious "gut-feeling".I understand that I may have lumped sensibility and emotion with the conscious and subconscious, but to me they are the same.

To answer your questions, Sabina, I can only do so as would an architect. The only valid answer would be finding the direct balance between the two extremes in #1 and #2.

As for #3, I cannot agree that imagination and sensibility are opposing. I do understand the direction you're coming from. A robot would be an example of something entirely rational, while ultimately possessing no imagination whatsoever. But even the most logical people need to be at least a bit creative to make any progress. A robot cannot exist without the imaginative impulse of its creator.

To answer the third question, I find sensibility more attractive because I find intelligent conversation very productive in any relationship.

And #4, I am tempted to consider that imagination is the direct product-child of the two? What do everyone else think?
abarilov

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby ThePermster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 am

There's a riposte to "Descartes' Error" called "Damasio's Error and Descartes' Truth" by Andrew Gluck.
It's a more philosophical examination of Damasio's empirically based points so makes for a good follow-on read.

Just my two cents.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:28 am

Hi Abarilov,

I agree that the balanced option is almost always the best one. That is exactly why, at least for me, these questions were interesting. In a situation where I know that neither extreme is right, but I can only choose one of the two, which would I choose? Why?
I think knowing the answers to these questions tell us something about ourselves.

So, without much ado, here are my answers...

I like Tim's answer to this question, but if I didn't have the luxury of choosing different compliments for different situations, I would probably select "That is a very sentimental person".

Sabina wrote:2. Which seems the greater error:
- to be too passionate?

To be too objective.
Being objective is very important, but a lack of passion is a lack of life, in my opinion.

Sabina wrote:3. Are you more attracted to:
- imaginative people, or
- sensible people?

Why?

Imaginative people!
Maybe because (I think that) they are more interesting, more fun.

Sabina wrote:4. How does imagination fit within emotion and reason?

Everyone actually gave the same answer, more or less, to this question, but I liked Tim's explanation, that both are, or can be, imaginative, just in different ways.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Agate » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 pm

In my experience I've found that emotional people are more imaginative in terms of creativity. I once described my best high school friend as being "the kind of person who'd tell you to take a pair of clean socks on a flight of fancy." She was sensible and practical and as imaginative as a brick.

Not to say there's anything wrong with that...but she had a hard time understanding me.

On the other hand, sensible, logical types can be amazingly creative in inventing things and solving problems. Whatever other problems Terry had, she could always figure out a way to make something work.

If the two of us had to design a car, make it as near-perfect as possible, I'd be painting an elaborate decoration on the exterior, and she'd be under the hood working on performance. My creativity would be aesthetic value; her creativity would have a more tangible result.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Psychology