EGO

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

EGO

Postby mirjana » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 am

Very often in discussions people around me give completely different meanings to EGO.
For some it is a controlling part of our being and for others protective.

"In spirituality, and especially non dual, mystical and eastern meditative traditions, individual existence is often described as a kind of illusion. This "sense of doership" or sense of individual existence is that part which believes it is the human being, and believes it must fight for itself in the world, is ultimately unaware and unconscious of its own true nature. The ego is often associated with mind and the sense of time, which compulsively thinks in order to be assured of its future existence, rather than simply knowing its own self and the present.
The spiritual goal of many traditions involves the dissolving of the ego,[citation needed] allowing self-knowledge of one's own true nature to become experienced and enacted in the world. This is variously known as Enlightenment, Nirvana, Fana, Presence, and the "Here and Now".
Eckhart Tolle comments that, to the extent that the ego is present in an individual, that individual is somewhat insane psychologically, in reference to the ego's nature as compulsively hyper-active and compulsively (and pathologically) self-centered. However, since this is the norm, it goes unrecognised as the source of much that could be classified as insane behavior in everyday life.[citation needed] In South Asian traditions, the state of being trapped in the illusory belief that one is the ego is known as maya or samsara.
According to the mythologist Joseph Campbell, the chief reason for the penchant of spiritual thought throughout the Orient to quinch the ego is because it has never been properly separated from the Freudian id, and so the whole idea of developing out of ego not the pleasure but the reality principle is in the Orient simply unknown. [url]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_(spirituality)[/url]

Your thoughts and experiences, also in regard to some of quoted definitions in the text above?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: EGO

Postby QuietMind » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm

My thoughts on ego.....I think it has to do a lot with desire....This is a tough one....By no means do I claim to know the answers, I just try to formulate the truth from my experiences. I've learned that living with a sense of "me" causes a lot of unneeded strife, rather than just letting go, and living with a sense that you are among a higher consciousness, and letting go of the "me" factor. Peoples insults and opinions of you will drive you mad if you let it. If someone insults you, that sense of "me" usually steps in and anger follows. And a lot of times that anger hangs around with you for a long while, and it only causes unease and confusion in your own spirit. I think the Buddha has a good point where he said something like "If a person gives you a insult, and if you don't accept it, it stays with that person.". I have found letting go of the ego, lets go of fear also. I don't know if you could ever completely destroy the ego. I think you will always have some part of that sense of "me" always with you. I've had out of body experiences, and I still had that sense of "me". Who knows?...I just keep plugging along through the mud.......LOL
QuietMind

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 2

Postby dermot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Folks,
a topic on ego could last forever....!

I understand it as being the part of us that interacts with outside reality, the forms we take to be mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, doctors and nurses (ok, maybe not!)..but you get what i mean.
Essentially in truth, this is not what or who we are, but these are the forms we take to live our daily lives.
Becoming attached to ego means we are living in shadow, taking on roles without consciousness, we risk becoming lost in these roles to the extent that they can take us over...which means we live in illusion.
If we choose to be the Observer of our ego, we are not controlled by it, and we walk in conscious contact with who we really are.
For me there is a feeling of non reality when i am engaged too much in outside dramas, i dont feel connected, and there is a real wish to step back and observe, this is where i find Love, Truth, and Beauty too...this is where i am Love, Truth, and Beauty.

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby MoonLightened » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 am

This "sense of doership" or sense of individual existence is that part which believes it is the human being, and believes it must fight for itself in the world, is ultimately unaware and unconscious of its own true nature. The ego is often associated with mind and the sense of time, which compulsively thinks in order to be assured of its future existence, rather than simply knowing its own self and the present.

This was so beautifully stated, I can't really think of a more apt definition. Metaphorically, to me, Ego is the "mind skin" we wear as physical beings. It may be viewed as a state of insanity, but to be completely without it I doubt one could function as a human being. It can't be "killed" and you can't be separated from it. This is why so many of the eastern traditions speak of moving into "the heart" to know the true nature of the Self. The intellect is the Ego's realm. In the Heart it's voice is silent.
“Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door.” — Emily Dickinson
MoonLightened

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Pride and Prejudice
Favorite movie: varies
Things I like: I am fascinated by the mind and the Self. I'm also a freelance writer and blogger, working on my first novel. Having moved from America to India recently, I'm also enjoying learning the art of Indian cooking.
Kudos: 1

Postby mirjana » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 am

I think that ego is our awareness of being part of this reality. Anything that keeps us free from the chains of this realty is the same time the path to separate our true self from ego. In this reality one needs ego's protection. Outside of this reality, in the silence of self realization, one is free from/of it.
I wrote a poem about it.http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/poetry-t1061.html
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to Psychology