Education and Religion

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Education and Religion

Postby Sabina » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:26 pm

From everything I have heard and seen... it seems that the higher a person is educated, the less it is likely that they will be religious.
It is like education is in direct opposition with religion.
It is not about science versus religion.. it doesn't even have to have anything to do with science. It is simply education - a general well-rounded education.

Obviously people who have some education can still be religious, but... if the education continues... if the mind continues to explore and learn, it's like religion, especially the fundamentalist type, so religious extremes seem impossible!

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Education and Religion

Postby Naveen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Profound apologies for digressing!

All that comes to mind is the rhetorical question - Is religion an opiate or a placebo ?
Naveen

State of Mind or Tendency: Magical
Kudos: 3

Postby Sabina » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Well, why is it a rhetorical question? Let's talk about it. :)

I don't quite understand how religion could be a placebo at any rate. A placebo brings an improvement, imaginary or actual. How does religion bring either?

It being an opiate implies that it clouds the mind?
But what if it doesn't cloud it as much as it fills a void.. a void that could otherwise be filled with education?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Metatron » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Sabina wrote:I don't quite understand how religion could be a placebo at any rate. A placebo brings an improvement, imaginary or actual. How does religion bring either?

How? Have I ever told you about my grandmother? There are so many ways religion can help establish a calm mental state. Ignorance is bliss, it really works.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby ThePermster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 pm

It seems to me like education in this current time exalts the sciences. But not just as a valuable resource, instead academic institutes enjoy speaking of the work of science as though it's the axiomatic truth regardless of the philosophical discussion that forever hangs behind it's naturalistic cogs and gears.

This is understandable I think; given how productive a resource the subject is, certainly our technological advancement has science to thank and certainly our nature is geared towards order which makes ideas like empiricism and naturalism very inviting to us as a species.
It's any wonder why dogma takes hold of our larger religions as the worshippers find themselves struggling to hold on to inherently unordered ideas like supernaturalism and transcendentalism.

Imagine a world where philosophy was supreme in place of science. Not only would people be taught the basic reasoning required to reject fundamental and extremist denominations of faith but they would also have the passive perspective required to view ideas like theism and empiricism on equal terms, as they should be.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Postby Naveen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Sabina wrote:Well, why is it a rhetorical question? Let's talk about it. :)

I don't quite understand how religion could be a placebo at any rate. A placebo brings an improvement, imaginary or actual. How does religion bring either?

It being an opiate implies that it clouds the mind?
But what if it doesn't cloud it as much as it fills a void.. a void that could otherwise be filled with education?

Well, like its Barack Obama for some, Hope for some is religion! Someone has said- If you cant do anything about something bothering you, put it in your "Something for God to do" box.

If such faith can bring tranquility to the mind, do you see the Placebo happening ? Audacity of Hope!

So is religion a 'make-believe' like Placebo is ?

Or is it the drug(opiate) that is not 'make-believe' but has an actual curing effect ?

Lets say I have an interview and I go to the temple to pray for success. Lets say I am successful in my interview. Did God answer my prayer ? Or did the belief that 'praying to God will make Him happy and he will make me successful' have a placebo effect?
Naveen

State of Mind or Tendency: Magical
Kudos: 3

Postby dermot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Religion, a set of rules usually to prevent man from doing something he should inherently know is wrong in the first place?

The way i see it religion played a part when there was no real educational process that provoked questioning.
That was a catch 22 situation in that people looked for direction to exalted beings or teachings, they were looking outwards because they had no impression...or were not told to look in for that direction.

That could have been evoloutional to some extent, maybe the cerebral cortex had not become refined enough to allow a wider appreciation of what mattered.
Either way it seems to me that humans needed a set or rules/guidelines so that some order prevailed. It was the law and the church, or similar?

A greater awareness has led to people beginning to use an interior reference point as opposed to an exterior reference point when consideration is necessary. This i presume is a better way for us to be, and reasoning replacing blind obedience should bring a better society....SLOWLY!

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby profdrfeelgood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Religion versus spirituality, take your pick. Only very esoteric portions of any religion have secret knowledge to open the doors of perception and give the seeker a glimpse into the higher states or frequencies, if you like, or the other dimensions which are within the realm of deeper consciousness. These doors are shut with the run around of ritual, dogma and mumbo jumbo.

There is Buddha business, Krishna business, Guru business, Jewish business, Muslim business, Christian business, New World business, and a lot of new ones which pop up everyday with the answer just for you. Temples are full of fineries, the cathedrals are full of gold which they massacred the indigenous peoples of South America for, the Pope has a grand ring on his finger and ermine robes, Saudi Arabia is a diamond pot, the Buddha’s message is corrupted by monks who stand in the way with their begging bowls being agents for the words, Christians have mega churches with bowling allies and crank out Leviticus and damnation, Wall Street is guided by the motto: Jesus saved, but the cleaver Moses invests. Business in gods or God's name, all of it.

Organized religions have nothing to do with finding the Path; they are more interested in diverting the attention to their own righteousness and well being. They all say the same things: we are right and the other buggers run with false gods, join and give to us, otherwise you are doomed.

On the other hand there is the Path, the way of the sprit, the inner connection with the force of the universe, but this you can not buy, because no one can sell it. You alone must seek and find it. Once found and trodden it becomes normal, there are no answers at its end or pots of gold, everything is on the path, for at its end is only death; everything is here and now.

Education is a bogus term, because you can educate a dog to jump through a hoop. It is all very local, accentuating those subjects which are beneficial to a certain society. They do not teach the Path at any school or university. It is first when you have found it that you will recognise the others who travel it as well and that ranges from hermits to quantum physicists. The Path is there for the educated as well as for them who only know.
Prof. Dr. Feelgood
profdrfeelgood

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 2

Postby crystaldart » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Ya, there exist some difference.

May be it is because education brings in a sense or freedom to our thoughts. Boundaries are pushed wider. We seek reasons behind everything; anything unreasonable is unacceptable.

Religion has a way of constraining our thoughts. There are lot of restrictions, ambiguity and above that questions are not always encouraged. Its like putting a dent in our sense of freedom. And that conflicts with an educated mind.

After all Religions is ordinary mans interpretation of spirituality. Its has its shortcomings. Its like a bird in a golden cage, its good looking at it, but bad when it comes to serve the purpose. That is to fly high and free.
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Postby cas1092 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:30 pm

There is Buddha business, Krishna business, Guru business, Jewish business, Muslim business, Christian business, New World business, and a lot of new ones which pop up everyday with the answer just for you. Temples are full of fineries, the cathedrals are full of gold which they massacred the indigenous peoples of South America for, the Pope has a grand ring on his finger and ermine robes, Saudi Arabia is a diamond pot, the Buddha’s message is corrupted by monks who stand in the way with their begging bowls being agents for the words, Christians have mega churches with bowling allies and crank out Leviticus and damnation, Wall Street is guided by the motto: Jesus saved, but the cleaver Moses invests. Business in gods or God's name, all of it.

you are right on all of that, I'm from Peru, when i was on school i learned about all the things that the spanish did when they came here, and religion have to do a lot on that, but the true it's that they use religion, they coud have use other excuse. the problem it's not the religion it's the education, people are unable to learn what they did wrong in the past.
i have saw a lot of people well educated that think that they can do what they want only because they are not religious, but i ask this question... if you don't belive in god you can kill?
the answer it's obvious, all the religions dictated the same thing, only that in different ways... people apparently don't understand that.
cas1092

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 0

Next

Return to Spirited Debate