Eating Printed People...

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Eating Printed People...

Postby ThePermster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Yep...I'm happy with that topic title choice...

Anyhoo, this is gonna be as weird as the title applies, it's another hypothetic but this time the fiction is a little closer to reality.

For those that don't know there's an aspiring technology in the research pipeline that attempts to mimic - in part - inkjet printers in order to print out biological structures.
What this means is if someone needs a liver transplant you can take a swab from the inside of their cheek, culture their cells and then fabricate yourself a brand new liver with absolute 100% genetic compatibility. No need for doners or nothing.
Not only that but one could print out bacon and steak and other meat products without ever needing to kill a single animal!
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say how awesome that sounds! Admittedly currently all it creates are only weird pink sponge things but hey it's in the works!

So I was talking to my friends about this the other day and we got to thinking about what ethical questions this brings up, for instance:
If you could print out human parts which never actually belonged to a human, would the stigma of cannibalism become just another strange but otherwise accepted thing?
And here's another one that comes with a parental warning, if you could print out an entire human being that has never lived, what the hell would that make of necrophilia?

We were talking about them mostly in joke really and I don't really have a purpose here, I just thought it was a totally strange idea and wondered what you guys make of it? Also what do you guys make of the technology just out of curiosity?
ThePermster

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Re: Eating Printed People...

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Well, it sounds like the Star Trek replicators!
B0)

Be it "Tea, Earl Grey, hot", or whatever else one desires to eat or drink, could simply be "replicated".

Riker: We no longer enslave animals for food purposes.

Antican: But we have seen humans eat meat.

Riker: You've seen something as fresh and tasty as meat, but inorganically materialized out of patterns used by our transporters.

Antican: Sickening!

ThePermster wrote:If you could print out human parts which never actually belonged to a human, would the stigma of cannibalism become just another strange but otherwise accepted thing?
And here's another one that comes with a parental warning, if you could print out an entire human being that has never lived, what the hell would that make of necrophilia?

I am a bit confused. The first question is referring to cannibalism, so printing out human parts for the purpose of eating them.
The second question, I don't quite follow. Printing out an entire human being that never lived, so you print it out as already dead? For the purpose of eating it, or for the purpose of sex (since you mentioned necrophilia)?

Could you please clarify? :)
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 pm

What I think about technology is not much different from that what Ali G thinks about it. =0@

I also would appreciate a bit more clarification as Sabina has already asked.
But, my whole feeling about this information was that I just wanted to scream. Why? I do not know. Maybe it has been some primordial reaction...
It sounds like taking the real choice from the people or faking choices like so many other things has already been faked "naturally".
By the way, as Meenam has said in another topic : "Nature is the best teacher, provided we really look and listen to it, we need no other !!" http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/well----naturally!-p5413.html#p5413
This whole thing “Eating Printed People" is like the next to maybe definitive step in cutting us completely from the nature. Not to mention misuse and manipulation.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby crystaldart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am

If you could print out human parts which never actually belonged to a human, would the stigma of cannibalism become just another strange but otherwise accepted thing?

human parts which never actually belonged to a human is not a HUMAN part in the first place. Its a biological lump with structural resemblance with human flesh. So I think, the question of cannibalism does not occur.

if you could print out an entire human being that has never lived, what the hell would that make of necrophilia?

necrophilia = irresistible attraction to dead bodies

As it says, All that lived will die & which never lived cannot be dead. Even if we print a entire human being (body), unless we can breath life into it, its just some neat looking fresh meat.

In the end this is a interesting topic. Thanx
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Postby ThePermster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Haha some great video quotes, oh my Sasha Baron Cohen does make me feel awkward for the interviewees. x]
Sorry though guys I was in a bit of a hurry whilst making that initial post so allow me to clarify what me and my friends were actually thinking about.

The idea is we have in the works a technology which could one day allow us to literally print out a human arm. That arm has been made from cultured cells which could have collected simple from a cotton bud swab of the inside of someone's cheek or something similar so the arm that is produced never actually belonged to a person and has only ever been alive in the sense that the individual cells are alive, at least periodically.

So the idea is this, if we could print out human parts for cannibals to eat so that cannibals could satisfy their desire without ever needing to kill or maim a person, would that mean that the advent of this technology would cause the negative ethical connotations and stigma against their fetish to simply disappear?
And what about necrophiliacs? I know it's a less than savoury thought but would it be "ok" for a necrophiliac to make use of the technology as an ethical source for dead bodies because they never would have lived, I mean is the simple fact that the body was once living why we deem necrophilia to be wrong?
And there's much more to consider there too, it's a little bit similar in some ways to the ethical spectrum of cloning which is even more so relevant to our current technological state as we can already do that!

Crystaldart brings up a good point though, would the paraphiliacs care for the products of this technology?
I think some would probably require some psychological property of the knowledge of the death involved or that what they were eating really was once a human part. But paraphilia is such a broad and complex thing that I'm sure there must be some cannibals or what-have-yous that could be totally satiated simply by the eating of that which is indiscernible from human flesh. It's to that portion that I think these ethical questions are concerned.

I'm interested by the social implications too, so do you think the cannibals would be divided by those who are happy with merely having human-like flesh and those who demand that it come from a dead human, the definition of cannibal becoming split into two new separate terms which one being seen as strange but ok and the rest still being ostracised?

I'm interested by your response too Mirjana, if you don't mind me being assumptive you seem to follow the meat-eaters manifesto which tends to be that it is natural to do so and that is what's good?
But this technology would allow that we maintain our enormously productive meat industry and never have to slaughter another cow, pig or anything. Granted the meat is still synthetic, in a way, but doesn't the wonderfully ethical fact of never having to kill anything again outweigh the positives of the hunter tradition? I'm not even sure I'm aware of the positives for the latter, perhaps if you do choose the latter then you could tell me what you think the positives are for that side so that I might consider it properly too?
ThePermster

Postby mirjana » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

ThePermster wrote:...

I'm interested by your response too Mirjana, if you don't mind me being assumptive you seem to follow the meat-eaters manifesto which tends to be that it is natural to do so and that is what's good?
But this technology would allow that we maintain our enormously productive meat industry and never have to slaughter another cow, pig or anything. Granted the meat is still synthetic, in a way, but doesn't the wonderfully ethical fact of never having to kill anything again outweigh the positives of the hunter tradition? I'm not even sure I'm aware of the positives for the latter, perhaps if you do choose the latter then you could tell me what you think the positives are for that side so that I might consider it properly too?

This assumption brought smile on my face as I have been a vegetarian longer than 15 years. =0)
Normally I would greet every idea that stops slaughtering, but, as I tried to explain previously, I prefer decisions that come from the aware choices and not from behind the screen that hides the true motivation.
Maybe I am not aware of all positive implications this idea could have, but pure instinctively, and I count a lot on my instinct, there is something there that my body rejects energetically.
Beside, as far as I know about cannibalism or necrophilia, although it is not much of my interest, I cannot imagine that any substitute would change anything. I do doubt that because of such substitute those would lose the interest for this deviation.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:31 pm

I think that this "printer" could semi-normalize the eating of "human" flesh...but I'm not sure that it could negate the stigma associated with cannibalism. There is a market for all kinds of seriously weird foods out there; if this technology becomes a reality I can see a niche market for printed-person meat.

To my mind, that's not really applicable to cannibals. As I understand it, there is often an element of ritual to cannibalism. Whether the idea is to absorb the person's strength or whatever, that ritualistic element would be lost if the meat used was simply printed.

In an odd sort of way, the same logic applies to necrophilia. Some necrophiliacs (I assume) simply enjoying copulating with nonliving flesh. The flesh-printer could accommodate them, same as it cold provide cannibals who simply like the taste of human meat.

On the other hand, there often appears to be more to necrophilia than just being sexually attracted to corpses. Whatever those other elements may be, I do not think that the flesh-printer could accommodate them.

And may I say this is probably the single oddest comment I have ever posted on a message board??
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Postby Sabina » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Agate wrote:And may I say this is probably the single oddest comment I have ever posted on a message board??

=0@ I believe you..

Then again, the opening topic raised those two quite extravagant topics, cannibalism and necrophilia, so everything that follows from that starting point has to be odd to some extent, as long it actually addresses the questions.

Nice answers too. [El]
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby ThePermster » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:04 pm

mirjana wrote:This assumption brought smile on my face as I have been a vegetarian longer than 15 years. =0)

Haha! Ever the good judge of character eh? xD

Sabina wrote:Then again, the opening topic raised those two quite extravagant topics, cannibalism and necrophilia, so everything that follows from that starting point has to be odd to some extent, as long it actually addresses the questions.

By all means explore the other possibilities available, for instance it's interesting when you start to consider this one alongside some ethical discussion on cloning too. Though at that point I guess it's pretty clear that the key factor becomes consciousness.

But here's one, because there's plenty more strange paraphilias to go folks! How about if you printed out or cloned brain-dead pre-pubescents for paedophiles?
ThePermster

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:38 pm

ThePermster wrote:But here's one, because there's plenty more strange paraphilias to go folks! How about if you printed out or cloned brain-dead pre-pubescents for paedophiles?

=0o I think my head just exploded!

Even so, I stand upon my position that such may appeal to some with that...predilection, but not all. Sexual behavior aside, most pedophiles also get a kick from controlling their victims and messing with their minds. You cannot brainwash a creature that has no real consciousness, so unless this hypothetical pedophile was also a necrophiliac, the flesh-printer probably would not be appealing.

(Dear God, this post is even weirder than the last one!!)
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Next

Return to Spirited Debate