Eat, Pray, Love

By Mirjana

Eat, Pray, Love

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm

As a Christmas present from my granddaughter I got a book "Eat, Pray, Love". It is a witty book about one woman´s search, who didn´t have the same wishes as her husband. The result was a bitter divorce. She started her quest determined to find what she has been missing.
Her path brought her in three countries with names starting with I, Italy, India and Indonesia.

In Italy she lived enjoying Italian language, Italian "modo di vivere" , their beautiful food and relaxing way in doing everything. It helped her to make a distance from her depression and take a next step approaching India.
In India she found enlightenment and came closer to her true nature.
In Indonesian Bali, she found inner balance harmonizing her body and mind into the new energy open to love again.
Elizabeth Gilbert wrote the book with great sense of humor and I enjoyed it very much.

I write all this just to explain the source from where I have taken the idea I want to share with my DS friends here.

In one of her talks with her friend about Rome, he explained to her that the secret to understand a city and its people is to learn -what is the word of the street, meaning that each city has a single word that defines it, identifying most people who lived there. Being Italian he knew that for Rome that word is sex, and for Naples is fight.
Her friend from Stockholm explained that the word on the streets of that city is conform.
Being American she immediately knew that the word for New York is achieve and for Los Angeles is succeed.
This was very interesting for me and I played a bit with the words that defined some of cities where I used to live and if my chosen word for them was the same.
So my first question is do you know the word of the streets of your city?If yes, then is your word for that city the same?

And the next one, do you eventually know one word that would mostly define that what and who you are?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Eat, Pray, Love

Postby Rachel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:43 am

OK. Now firstly I must say that I honestly think the book is overrated and a huge bunch of mis-matched early 90s New Age psycho twaddle.

Secondly, I did like the word part and I am very glad you have chosen to write about it, the notion of one word decriptions/essence capturing is very intriguing.

In answer to your questions:

The word of the streets in my city is 'Exclusive', and I am sure given half a chance to reflect, people would come up with similar answers. If you don't belong, you simply don't belong. The city is very impatient with people who try too hard to fit in, and in trying to fit in it is simply obvious that a person does not.

My word for my city is 'Attitude' -for the reasons listed above. Also for the reason that people not from this city are not aware of the cut throat mentality, as it is not about clothes, hairstyles, money or social status. It is about personal identity and security. If a newcomer does not have a 'Don't **** with me, I am who I am, and I don't care what you think' attitude, then they will remain an outsider.

My word for me is 'Chameleon'.
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 pm

mirjana wrote:
So my first question is do you know the word of the streets of your city?If yes, then is your word for that city the same?

The word for the city I live in would be friendly.
I think that's what it is known for worldwide. In airplanes travelling here the accompanying "guide" tells one of the things the people here are known for.. If you lose a wallet, whoever finds it will probably bring it back to you, all contents included. That actually happened to me when I was a teenager, so it is true... and it says a lot about the people who live here.

Then again, things have changed a bit since those days... I hope that noble aspect is still as present as it used to be.

mirjana wrote:
And the next one, do you eventually know one word that would mostly define that what and who you are?

This was more difficult for me to reply to... but now I want to thank you for posing this question! Thanks to it (and to my inability to answer it) I turned to the people closest to me and asked for their opinion. After all... the city is not choosing its own word for itself.. it is the people who know that assign it a word. Ergo, the people who know me could choose a word for me.
I have received 3 different words from 3 of the closest people:
    "very loving" - "artist" - "perfect"
Based on those and after some more thought my word for myself would be creator.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 pm

April 2010 I started my Somewhere in between within DS breeze.
The name came so normally to me as it is something that corresponds the best to that what I am. Back then I didn´t know for the book "Eat, Pray, Love" and didn´t know for this questions about self and cities that I discovered later after I have got the book.
But now, after reading your answers( nice synergism) =0) , I became aware of my word.
I am In-betweener.
In the country where I was born I lived between the two different worlds of passion, cultures, music, cuisine, atmosphere; Mediterranean of my mother and Bosnian of my father. Being born in Belgrade, it has become my additional fleur of everything. Still, I have always been in all these parts simultaneously , living other two the same time when being in the third.
The same pattern continued with my own family when we left Belgrade like Campbell´s hero when leaving a birthplace looking toward the unknown. I stepped on my spiritual path spreading the border of my forest. Italy, Vienna, France, Porec became new in-between places of my life in which I felt at home, blessed with friends, great experiences of growing that had enriched my life. And because those were not trips but I was living there, all of them became my new worlds, part of me and in each of them I have been leaving part of myself. My old me and my new me are together, supporting each other because from the distance each one of these different worlds gets a new perspective so that I am again and again happy when meeting them.
Today, all these points are border line of my enneagram helping me to figure always new aspects of myself. That is why I am IN-betweener.

Besides, my passion to work with polarities and understand both poles of the same, or two sides of the same coin, also fits well into it.

Those are some of explanation I found for this word in internet:

- in-between - being neither at the beginning nor at the end in a series; "adolescence is an awkward in-between age"; "in a mediate position"; "the middle point on a line"

- lying between two extremes in time or space or state; "going from sitting to standing without intermediate pushes with the hands"; "intermediate stages in a process"; "intermediate stops on the route"; "an intermediate range plane"

- neutral party
arbitrator
mediator
intermediate

According to this, I have my words for each of these points of my life:
Belgrade - serenity
Krtoli(Boka Kotorska) - belonging
Tarevci (Bosnia) - longing(sevdah)*
Italy - life
France - pleasure
Vienna - acceptance
Porec - ? still figuring out

PS:By the way, tomorrow I travel from Porec to Krtoli. One new exciting reencounter with this place.
As I do not have internet there, I shall be again in DS within next two weeks.
=0)
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm

what beautiful lives you all must have =0) Thank you for sharing with me, and of course the delectable DS community.
Rachel

Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.

Postby Rachel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 pm

ps. Mirjana, you have a grand daughter? such a beautiful woman must have a beautiful grand daughter.
Rachel

Postby mirjana » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Thank you Chessa. =0/
I do have a beautiful grand daughter and four beautiful grandsons. They are the most precious gifts I have got from my two daughters. I am very grateful for having a family I have and for every moment I spend with them.
=0)
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 am

That's so lovely, Mirjana.

On the 'Eat, Pray, Love' topic, I did finish the book. Not much really resonated with me, apart from some really surprising parts towards the end when the author is writing about her relationship with the man she falls in love with.

I liked that exploration so much that I plan to buy the sequel.
Rachel

Return to Somewhere in Between