Dunning-Kruger effect

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Dunning-Kruger effect

Postby Sabina » Mon May 24, 2010 6:01 pm

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it."

The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than in actuality; by contrast, the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to a perverse result where less competent people will rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others.

The part that is also very interesting is this:
Across four studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd.

As is this...
Meanwhile, people with true knowledge tended to underestimate their competence. Roughly, participants who found tasks to be relatively easy erroneously assumed, to some extent, that the tasks must also be easy for others.

If you are interested Dunning and Kruger's report, download the PDF attachment below.

Unskilled and Unaware of It
How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments
Dunning–Kruger.pdf
(351.06 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Dunning-Kruger effect

Postby ThePermster » Thu May 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Wow, I've heard of this effect before but never looked into the research until now and I didn't imagine the results would be that compelling.

I'd be interested to know if they revealed the results to the participants and how they then responded to that.
I've always wondered what it'd be like if you could hold a pitch detection apparatus to a tone-deaf person's voice to show they can't hold pitch. Not in a malevolent way; I just wonder what form the realisation would take on or whether it would have a tendency towards outright denial.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Re: Dunning-Kruger effect

Postby Sabina » Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 pm

I am not sure how it would be for a completely tone-deaf person, but I do know that singing and holding a pitch can be trained, like most things. So while one person will automatically sing the correct pitch, another person may simply need to train their ear.

The thing with the Dunning-Kruger effect, or the problem with it, is that most people who are not so "capable" don't have the desire to actually be aware of this.
If they were to find out, they could train their skills, just as the tone-deaf person can train their ear and vocal chords. Whether they would actually want to train it or not would depend on their character/personality and endurance.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Psychology