Dream Trivia

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Dream Trivia

Postby Sabina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 am

I thought this could be a nice shallow & mellow opening topic for this forum - trivial facts about dreams and dreaming...

Here is the first dream fact.
In Old English the word dream meant joy, mirth, and musical sound. =0o

The Wikipedia entry says..
Middle English dreem, possibly from Old English drēam (“‘music", "mirth", "joy’”); akin to Old Saxon drōm (“‘mirth", "dream’”); meaning influenced in Middle English by Old Norse draumr (“‘dream’”). The derivation from drēam is controversial, since the word itself is only attested in writing in its meaning of "joy, mirth, musical sound". Possibly there was a separate word drēam meaning "images seen while sleeping" which would account for the common definition in the other Germanic languages, or the derivation may indeed simply be a strange progression from "mirth, joy, musical sound"
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Dream Trivia

Postby mirjana » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Sabina,

It is nice topic and I do hope that we can put some more light upon dreams in our talks about them.
My five cents...
Independent of this if dreams are directed from within or without, very early, in all civilizations, there has appeared so called dream interpreter as an "occupation", such as:
Joseph's role in interpreting the Pharaoh's dream(Genesis 41:25-27), the meaning of Mordecai's dream in the Book of Esther, in Greece, there was Artemidoros Daldianus who lived in the 2nd century A.D... The development has grown since antiquity, from dreams as foretelling the future to the dreams that require interpretation because of the ambiguity that is always present in dreams symbols.Today dreams' symbols are mostly subject of psychology.
Although overlapping is possible, dreams should be distinguished from visions. Visions are possibly connected with daydream, and dreams occur during sleep.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Mysticism