Does the interent reflect offline life?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Does the interent reflect offline life?

Postby Mel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Is the internet a reflection of offline human interaction, such as communiction, friendship, whatever else you can think of, or is the intenet somehow a whole other type of existance?
Mel

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: I dont have a favourite
Favorite movie: I have many favourites
Things I like: Travel, books, movies
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Re: Does the interent reflect offline life?

Postby ubermensch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I feel that the internet is many things for many people as it has been many things for me. Prior to me finding my spiritual side over a year ago , I engaged in more shallow activities than mind expansive endeavors . With that said I have heard many stories from woman I chat with about men saying some seriously lewd, crude, and very perverted things to them that they surely wouldn't say in public. I think it allows a person to develop themselves in many ways, good or bad , and it most certainly is a reflection of them as a person . I also feel the more they indulge in online behavior (good or bad) it will reveal itself in their public persona. So while it may be another type of existence (forum of life), I think the genuineness of a friendship is based on the depths of each individual.
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Mel wrote:Is the internet a reflection of offline human interaction, such as communiction, friendship, whatever else you can think of, or is the intenet somehow a whole other type of existance?

I agree with ubermensch that it can be both ways.

For me personally it is just another piece of the large puzzle that makes up life. We can meet incredibly interesting people online or offline, I know I have.
I must admit that I have met more "ugly" people online than I ever have in "real life" though... but again not so many, because you quickly learn to tell them apart. Hopefully everyone does.

Another bite for thought.
A lot of people have multiple personalities in their real (offline) lives.. one personality for when they are at work, one personality for when they are with their partner, one personality for when they are with friends, and so on.
The internet is no different in that sense.
You can have multiple personalities or you can simply be yourself.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Nebuchadnezzar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 am

It's cool that we can have multiple conversations with multiple people on multiple topics and on posts in the past...maybe this whole internet interaction thing is our first look at time travel. Mark my words!
Nebuchadnezzar

Favorite book: The God Delusion - A Brief History of Time
Favorite movie: Star Wars
Things I like: I have very eclectic taste when it comes to the many varieties of life's choices for pleasure.
Kudos: 0

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:...maybe this whole internet interaction thing is our first look at time travel. Mark my words!

Nebuchadnezzar,
I love that thought!

I am not sure if the idea itself is plausible, but that doesn't matter. It's great!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Rachel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:50 am

Ooh please expand on the time travel thought! Love that concept.

In respose to the original question of internet activities reflecting offline interactions - I am the same person online as I am in person.

I do find, however, that I can sometimes express myself more clearly in the written word.
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby lonewolf93 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am

A very interesting topic. During online chatting we are more courageous than during a real-life conversation. We can change typed sentences before we send them. It is definitely impossible when we are talking with someone. Words that were once said can be outdone with other words of bigger meaning. They can also be forgotten, however they can't be deleted. I like the idea of 'time-travelling' by responding to 'dead' threads.
lonewolf93

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Sword of the Truth series
Favorite movie: Mr Nobody
Things I like: Stephen King books, Sword of the Truth series by Terry Goodkind, reading interesting Manga and watching good Anime, sci-fi movies, dramas and psychological, books about changing yourself, philosophy, psychology, music that suits my moods (different genres in different situations)
Kudos: 0

Return to Spirited Debate