Description of a beautiful woman.

The art of written works: Book recommendations,
poetry readings, inspiring novels, etc.

Description of a beautiful woman.

Postby Xen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:48 am

As a hobby I write and I generally like to write about beautiful things. Along this line of thought I find women to be beautiful. I have one in particular that has caught my attention and I will provide my literary description of her. It is a work in progress, but I will include what I have at the moment as well as a picture that I am using as my muse.

This is a young woman, probably about twenty years old, who stands with an air of carefree confidence that is most noticeable in her serene blue eyes outlined with a dash of kohl. Soft face with rounded cheek bones, proportionally slim nose, high trimmed brows, soft pouty pink lips, and rounded chin is complimented by her easy, charming smile. Wondrous oceans of blue gaze out in playful curiousity as she smiles; Though, there is a hint of a wild spark lingering behind those lids. Jenni adorns platinum blonde hair, groomed and shining brilliantly, which crops her gentle face; the mane glimmers down towards her shoulders where it it ends, with perfectly cut tips. The uniform hair spills down between her shoulder blades in bladed formation, the rest of it cropping in circular fashion towards her shoulders where the shortest strands just barely tickle the skin of her collar bone. This young woman has a soft neck and narrow shoulders that form into equally lithe arms and hands, but her midsection shouldn't go without notice. Overall her general shape is a toned, hourglass figure defining her chest and hips which are of moderate, if not winding 'definition'. Altogether her skin tone is a light & even tan lending her to porcelain glamour. She is a feathery woman, but owns to many womanly curves that are upheld with a firm youth that bargains the opinion she is, again, probably in her early twenties.

NSFW, but not nude. Semi-nude pose with all the private tid-bits covered in a tasteful manner- http://tinyurl.com/3myot2a

Any feed back would be appreicated; Comments, criticisim, flame, whatever you have please share!
Cherish this life; even if we have others; we will only experience life as we do now once. We cannot hope to replicate the finer details of our individual existence.
Xen

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Waterborn by Greg Keyes
Favorite movie: Howls Moving Castle
Things I like: I like to write, discover truth in the little things, look beautiful scenery, Talk with everyone, Find light in darkness, and many other things that I will eventually get in to.
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 1

Re: Description of a beautiful woman.

Postby mirjana » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm

OK, Brandon, you ask for it.
I can understand your approach to beauty as you described it when writing about Jenni. And I definitely have in mind that you are 20. Still, writing about spirituality, universe and… as you did and staying by the beauty which is pure physical and framed in the cliché of the way how so called "beauty" is presented today(this photo is typical representative), these two approaches are not quite compatible.
"Semi-nude pose with all the private tid-bits covered in a tasteful manner"
You see, this sentence says everything for itself. True beauty wouldn´t need to be presented like that. By the way, I think that such photo doesn't' t belong in such forum...just my opinion.
Before continuing this particular topic, I recommend you somehow related topic at DS where DS members, including myself, have discussed similar or the same things from quite a different perspective.
http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/sexism-in-the-media-t528s25.html
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Mirjana has already made several nice remarks and I also warmly recommend reading the Sexism in the media topic.

I do have a question though.
As you posted this in the literature forum, why even include the picture?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 pm

Brandon, give me a break.........what you have described here is your own programmed response to a photographers pose.
There is no way you can know this person, what frightens me and what should horrify yourself is that you have eulogised a photoshoot.......obviously designed with this exact response in mind.

Find someone real and tell us about her, she should not need to be semi naked in order for you to come over all poetic.....honestly dont you see whats happened here?

Theres more sexuality in being real than in this rubbish........just my opinion, strongly held as im sure you can see!

Im sure shes lovely, bakes a mean apple pie, is good to her Mom, and brushes her newly whitened teeth many times a day, her image defines her life..........and if you are not careful her image may define your's also?

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Xen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 am

I applaud all for you for the combative stance taken in response to my topic. Nothing wrong it. I appreciate it. If it were sexism I would have said every woman should look like that. To me beauty is subjective. Though, I do not claim to know her. Also, many artists who are are well known use naked women as a muse and men, too. There is nothing wrong with nudity in my opinon. However, I Dermot your localized response was equally befitting for reply. I suppose you are 100% correct about that being a programmed response. However, I dare most to try to come up with anything remotely close, even in draft. :)

Also, I describe paintings in much the same way. As a writer a I am sure you can see the literary prowess in my words. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone and you all should take this with a grain of salt. I didn't say anything derrogatory or statements that would imply thoughts that she be kept to ones self. However, the term sexism is very loosely interepretted.. It can be used in any situaiton if someone finds offense, whether or not someone of the same gender or opposite made the comment.

To Sabina:

I included the picture because that was my muse. My objective was to garner the facts of whether or not I successfully painted an accured worded thought.
----
To Mirjana :

As to Mirjana you are right as well, but I hope you see I tried to keep this far out of the realms of sexuallity except for, perhaps, the description of her general shape. There is nothing wrong with recognizing personal tastes that one finds to be pleasant. I certainly wasn't taking it to an extreme.
And what about those who write errotic novels? Many people read them, men and women. Who is wrong there? Is anyone wrong for reading what they like or discussinng the topics in a friendly non explicite manner? Finally, on that topic (all three of you) The link provided aobut sexism is very... subject to things that are far worse than what I described here. A kids bikini topped that's stuffed? That's ouitlandish and disgusting and yes.. that is true sexism and so is media promoting all women should look like that so buy this bra... I agree that's wrong.

---

Out of all of this I have found little freedom in ways of thinking. While you are 100% right as to your personal opinions on the matter I some how feel that if I didn't include a picture this would be a completely different story. In my opinion a muse is a muse and she is quite charming. You'll have to forgive me, I suppose. However, I am very contraversal in my approach and I will continue to be so. I don't seek to push personal buttons, but it will certainly happen from time time. I am all about freedom and that word is very offensive when used so.. freely. I have plenty of writings like this, about classy and (to me) beautiful creatures that have come from dreams, people I've met, photographs I've seen or art that has inspired me to turn the 'pose' in to words.

Thanks for your time. Til the next episode ;)

P.S. I tend to live life not fearing my own shadow so if her image defines then I would have to say that is something definitely wrong with it, but I am sure this general topic (based on your resposneS) has left a distasteful recollection of me already. Careful is already out of the window. Good day to you lovely folks :)
Cherish this life; even if we have others; we will only experience life as we do now once. We cannot hope to replicate the finer details of our individual existence.
Xen

Things I like: I like to write, discover truth in the little things, look beautiful scenery, Talk with everyone, Find light in darkness, and many other things that I will eventually get in to.

Postby Sabina » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 am

First, I must admit I am all talked out when it comes to this range of topics.
I am also sick at the moment, have been for a few days now, so maybe that's why I don't feel up to par as far as explaining it all from A-Z.

Brandon, the criticism expressed in the replies isn't about nudity, and sexism isn't necessarily about nudity either.

I am an artist and have sat for hours and painted nude men and women and there was nothing sexist about that, and again, to even mention the arts and artists in connection to this is... pretty far fetched.

Night night.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Xen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:59 am

Dear Sabina,

I am sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I do hope you return to a finer state of health soon enough. However, you might be on to something there. I only have to say that my description of her is a form of art. If you can kindly differentiate for me I might be willing to see it with new eys. I am the kind of person who is open to correction, but you have to meet my standards for explainaiton. That's not to put myself up on pedastool, but rather.. we're just tossing words unless there is a fine point to be relayed.

Nudity, Sexism, sexual portraits of ones nudity and the descriptions there after, if done right, are all forms of art.

I hope to hear from you soon and perhaps see some of your art as well.
Xen

Postby mirjana » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Brandon,

I can imagine, starting from myself, that no one of people who responded to your post expected from you to follow anything of thoughts/advice said. And as much you were free to explore your imagination presenting your muse and asking opinion of others, those others did that you have asked, gave their opinions or thoughts on the topic.
I am not an artist but many people very close to me are and I am grown in the family with artist. I studied the history of art along with literature and I am quite aware of that what art is in the widest meaning of that word. From that point of view, including everything that helps me personally to shape my opinion, including my age( not the youngest) =0) , I gave you my opinion, nothing more or less than that. What you will or will not take, use or not from it is and can only be your choice. I wish you anyhow the best in your work.

Sabina,
I am sorry that you do not feel well. It is very nice though that you have taken time to be here in spite of that.
Brandon,
As you have said that you would like to see some of Sabina´s art, and I accidently can help you about it, here it is:
http://www.sabinanore.com/. BTW, I like very much her work and admire her whole art which doesn't include only painting. You will see.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi again Brandon, well done for fighting your corner....!

According to the dictionary a muse is something one meditates on for inspiration for example. There have been many artists, writers, poets etc who have talked about their muse, generally i have always felt they were moved on many levels by the muse, the inspiration they gained from having what they called a muse brought forth great awareness for them.

There are many people who call themselves artists, writers, poets etc, and as it is all subjective any of us may call ourselves by this title. We have to allow others to eventually agree or disagree, in fact it is their decision that makes the difference in terms of recognition eventually.

To operate from the assumption that calling oneself an artist or writer gives us somehow added gravitas can be dangerous. To assume one would have a talent in comparison to another is dodgy ground too.

I have a problem with your standpoint, you claim a talent, and thereby the right to appoint a muse. That this muse is a one dimensional photo of a model wearing the usual 'im not wearing much clothes, look at me' look causes me to ask the question that you presume to know the answer to, but do you? Why this muse Jenni ....what about her picture especially moved you to write? Did the inspiration flow freely as a result of seeing her, could it not have come from any random similar photo?

Please dont assume, because i think you may have, that you have a talent beyond the comprehension of anyone here.

I dont believe this picture can become a muse Brandon, it just doesnt make the grade. The great muses were inspirational and also real, imagination and creativity come from a deeper well.

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Xen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 am

Another hit from the the man himself. Sound blow, mate. I can agree that you accrue excellent pensmanship, but mere pointing to ones self was nothing by a standby placation; a challenge. Another thing, a muse, while defined approrpiately by your expert knowledge on the matter, is all subject to personal opinon and as such I will play in to this idea that I have not made a sound deicision in my choice, but really thats for me to decide. In the end you have a modicum of decency in your approach and very sound background to whatever it is you say. I have read your posts.

When it comes down to it, I chose her because of her eyes. Marvelous gems. I normally don't have a thing for blue eyes. Probably because I'm jealous.. :P, but there is something about them in that picture as well as the series of pictures that go along with it The rest of her is beautiful, yeah, but not exactly what drew me in. I suppose beauty is in the 'eye' of the beholder (no out standing puns intended). I will come back to you on this when I can find the reasoning behind all this; Whether it be the excellent air brushing, photoshop job, or general pose she was photographed in.. something in her eyes called to me. I've seen many oceanic pairs and very few have plucked a chord so.

As per my self righteous claim to glory.. I do not make the mistake of saying there aren't far better writers. Rather, I have the healthy opiion that I, too, can reach legendary status. I might very well never be known for my literary achievements. Then again some of the best artists, in my solemn opinion, have never reveived any recognition. It's all a matter of topic as you so eleoquently put. Perhaps my topic and or materials were off. However, I am sure there are millions out there who would appreciate such works. That doesn't make anyone right and or wrong. It's simply a matter of preference just as it is an artists' preference to touch upon his muse. Dimension doens't have an affect on this, Dermot. Does creativity have a dimension?

Like I had mentioned there are many others who will outshine me with their own spectrum in the vast volley of colors ones' eyes can perceive.

Finally, I don't think there are many other photographs of beautiful woman that could have even moved enough that I might lift a finger to even scribble. It takes a lot to provoke such interest from me, really. Normally I tend to write about scenery, emotional ploys, and or people I have met. In this case she was a rare exception. There are also paintings that have provided me enough reason to write, but when it comes down to it most of my inspiration comes from the inside. If you look at the other topic I put up, "Vivid Dreams from a new member", you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

Oh, and I don't know if you were being serious or not when you said good job for defendiing my corner. I don't want to assume anything. So, I will ask; was that a compliment are winding sarcasm?

Without any other words at the moment I would like to say thank you for your excellent response. It made me think and I will consider it for a while, chew on it, until I can't further better myself from someone elses' wisdom.

Thanks, Dermot

Sincerely,
Brandon.

P.S.

Dear, Mirjana & Sabian

Thank you both for your replies as well. Also, Mirjana, thank you for leading me to Sabaina's artist page. @ Sabina; You are a wonderful artist indeed. I found myelf inspired by your works which I have only briefly peered in to. Lovely work, please don't ever stop. I would love to see more of the fine creativity you so humbly bring in to this world.
Xen

Next

Return to Literature