Definitions...

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Definitions...

Postby mirjana » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Randall,
I enjoyed your communication with John and like the way how both of you respectively have been open to hear and understand another. That is first and foremost important part of any communication if our goal is to make this as one of aware moments of our life.
"That is what I believe we have a chance of. Total acceptance and complete sharing, from one to the other is the end of fear on this plane of existence. The physical and the spirit both will be whole and we will explore what it means to grow in love."
This is my understanding as well for true communication or for true anything we do. When it is true, then we are aware of love for self and others opening the way to the fearless existence.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:01 am

Randall, thank you for the dialog and the further explanation...

While I agree that trying to define the infinite (Love, the Universe, God, etc) is a limiting process to be certain, and to define one's own self is just as limiting... however, I do not see defining aspects of anything infinite as limiting in any way... the imposed limitation is based upon the understanding, interpretation, experience, point of view and actions as a result of those.

If I say, I live on the planet Earth... I have neither limited, myself, the planet, nor the universe. I have simply stated one aspect of my state of consciousness and existence... everything else is wide open. However, If I say I only live on the planet Earth... then it becomes a more limiting statement... however, it still doesn't limit me in any way. I can still believe in my infinite existence in every dimension of space and time but only be referring to this current physical state within this linear existence.

The whole thing I have been trying to communicate is that in order to truly communicate something specific to another person regardless of the method of communication, that feeling, emotion, object, event, or whatever has to be defined in a means which leaves as little to imagination or assumption in order to be understood in it's intended way. Otherwise the whole endeavor is pointless...

Without communication we are, in my opinion, limited in the ways we can share time with each other. For example... Most of us have watched at least one documentary on sharks... however, most of us do not really have any experiences with sharks (outside of the occasional documentary or aquarium visit). We have no common ground with which to connect with the shark and get a sense of how the shark feels... what it might be thinking... We watch them completely disconnected... Some may be fascinated, and some fearful maybe, but all in all it's completely alien to us. Yet, most of us have enough experiences with dogs and cats that we actually can understand the things they communicate to us through the wag of a tail, the purring, the eagerness in waiting for you to throw the ball, or the love of just wanting to be near you with their head on your foot. These things have been defined by them to which we have an experienced and understood. These things have brought us as being closer to one another. I bet you sharks are no different than a dog, wolf, lion, tiger... dangerous each one of them but evil they are not. Yet it is through the being together and communication that we get to know each other and come closer. In a way this touches what you mentioned about fear being a result of a lack of understanding... but what are you going to understand without defining it as being something safe or at least nothing of which to be afraid?

If because of my experiences I suddenly start redefining words in my vocabulary as a result when I start speaking with anybody regarding matters that involve those words they will not understand what I am saying. I have come in contact with such things... for example... used to be the word "genocide" meant the deliberate and systematic extinction of a race... not anymore... now because attempted genocide, mass murder, or even slaughter is not held as being as comparably monumental then it all falls under the term genocide. Or how about this... when a war breaks out within a country it is no longer called a civil war but it is the "aggression of..." this side or that side. I do not think such things help. I think it would be better to make a new word... don't take a word that already exists and give it a new meaning, or start putting a whole bunch of different things that are somewhat related under the same title that all only makes communication more difficult and confusing.

Take the word "Ego" for example. This word is Latin for "I" and was defined by Sigmund Freud as the part of a being that takes in consideration outward influences in order to accomplish a goal in the long term without bringing grief. However, today it is a term used by a lot of "New Age" spiritualists as something that one needs to get rid of as it is almost a corrupt part of one's existence. In my opinion this is where the problems of communication are spawned.

"Oh, man that is cool!", "Yeah man, that's bad", "Yo! That's the s**t!" These methods of speaking are developed in order to not be understood. They were only meant to be understood by those that were "down" or "part of the scene". It is just a means of driving another separator between us as a species. To have one united means of communication in which everything is defined and understood by all... I believe... would only prove to bring us all closer together as a species and enable us to work, love, and exists in a more harmonious state.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:30 am

While I agree that trying to define the infinite (Love, the Universe, God, etc) is a limiting process to be certain, and to define one's own self is just as limiting... however, I do not see defining aspects of anything infinite as limiting in any way... the imposed limitation is based upon the understanding, interpretation, experience, point of view and actions as a result of those.

The whole thing I have been trying to communicate is that in order to truly communicate something specific to another person regardless of the method of communication, that feeling, emotion, object, event, or whatever has to be defined in a means which leaves as little to imagination or assumption in order to be understood in it's intended way. Otherwise the whole endeavor is pointless...

I rarely can communicate to the level that leaves very little in the way of assumption. I am truly impressed if you can. There always seems to be"their interpretation" and "mine". The more involved the topic of discussion is, the more room there is for interpretation. I notice that when I take the lid off of my definitions I am better able to understand their interpretation and I can listen better and communicate better. This thread is the exception it seems LOL

Interpretation is something that is based with in our definitions, all of them.

Ever had an experience you were at a loss for words to describe? Ever find yourself trying to share something with someone and realize you just didn't have the words available to you? Words just didn't work?

As we let go of our definitions, take the lid off of them and allow them to grow and breath and become more we also give greater room for expression of self and we can move closer to a more perfect way of communication, one that shares understanding from one to another in a more complete fashion.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:16 am

Hiedi
Ryan
Sabina
Dermot
Mirjana
Sincere and heartfelt Thank YOU =0)

I've had an aha! and each of you have contributed to it for me. I often feel the desire to post something with out thinking about the why. It pops in my head and I do it LOL

I've been writing to myself, talking to myself through my own words trying to get a message through to this stubborn conscious mind about something I have been brooding over for quite a while now and here I am giving myself the key to the lock with out realizing it. Looking back through my posts not just here, but through out the site, there is a message there, a message for me. =0D
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm

So... will you share your aha-experience with us? What message did you discover? What did the key unlock?
If it's top secret information, send me a PM... lol (I'm kidding...!)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm

She's not kidding...
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Ryan wrote:She's not kidding...

=0@ =0@ =0@
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Ryan... I'm going to use my magic powers and mess your hair up again buddy.

LOL

I promise. I'll share after I finish putting the pieces together ;0)
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

#80o

What the...?!
Ryan

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate