Definition of FEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 pm
by Sabina
Do you know what fear stands for?

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

No, it's not a new discovery, but people sometimes forget things, so it is here in an effort to not be forgotten.

Re: Definition of FEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 pm
by Ryan
Nice!
=0)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 am
by Heidi
I think that a phobia is False Evidence Appearing Real.
Let me give you an example.
Personally, I'm extremely afraid of spiders and most insects. This is a phobia, since spiders or grasshopers don't really pose a threat to my safety.
However, if I come across an angry dog, I feel really frightened, even though I love dogs as pets very much. The fear I feel in front of the angry dog is not False Evidence because the animal is really posing a threat to my safety.

I don't know... I may be mistaken...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm
by Kris
This is an excellent definition of fear. Seeking truth rather than believing the lie is so important. “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” Free from what? ..... Fear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am
by Ryan
False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

is when

Panic
Halts
Obstructs
Blocks
or
Impedes
Action

=0o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 am
by Sabina
Heidi wrote:I think that a phobia is False Evidence Appearing Real.
Let me give you an example.
Personally, I'm extremely afraid of spiders and most insects. This is a phobia, since spiders or grasshopers don't really pose a threat to my safety.
However, if I come across an angry dog, I feel really frightened, even though I love dogs as pets very much. The fear I feel in front of the angry dog is not False Evidence because the animal is really posing a threat to my safety.

I don't know... I may be mistaken...

Heidi,

You are not mistaken, the situation you described with the dog definitely qualifies as real fear.
The problem with fear is that by definition it can be real or imaginary.
When you think about when it appears the most often, it is rather the imaginary kind.
Like, being afraid to tell someone something, or ask someone something... because of a fear of what that person might say or do.
Being afraid to speak in front of people, for the fear of getting embarrassed.
Being afraid to be how we really are, for the fear of not being loved.
People imagine a negative outcome and feel fear in anticipation of it.

So, while there is the other kind of fear as well, I think in most cases it is something that we can overcome and leave behind.

Sabina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:39 am
by GenerousGeorge
"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once."

Fear can be a test and sometimes how we face it can even define who we are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm
by Pat
GenerousGeorge wrote:"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once."

Fear can be a test and sometimes how we face it can even define who we are.

I agree and it can sometimes help us to change.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 pm
by mirjana
We can be the one who is frightened or the one who frightens others.
If someone tries to frighten us, the means used for that purpose will only show fears of that person.
It is the same with us. When we try to pay somebody’s attention to something fearful, we just show the source of personal fear.
Both are good ways to help self and others.
As I used to have arachnophobia, I unconsciously transmitted the same fear over my children trying all the time to protect them from some "dangerous spider". Maybe the easier way would have been if I had helped myself to get rid of that phobia.

Mirjana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 pm
by HGolightly
I had forgotten - a good reminder! :)