Defining Wisdom

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Defining Wisdom

Postby Ryan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Dear Alvino...

I realize that English isn't a main language for you and I am not criticizing your use of the language... it is fine, however I am getting lost in your posts...

I really have a tough time following your line of thought. I can't really pin point what exactly you are trying to get across...

For the most part I gather you are trying to tell George that you love him and there is no one that can tell him if God exists or not. The only person that can tell him anything is himself for whatever reason he deems something holds enough proof...

You make different remarks about your mistakes... but I am not sure what you mean by mistakes... nor why you make so many...

Maybe if you try keeping the replies a little more simple and let someone ask for clarification (if they need it) rather than trying to compose your post so that it leaves room for nothing to be clarified...it might be less confusing....Just a thought...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 am

GOOD IDEA B0)
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Alvino » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:15 am

RYAN, AL appreciates & will use your Advice.

whoops: someone said those who give advice show their love,
so double Thanks.
( i just had to be verbose again,, but I will do gooder next post.)
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Returning to the original topic, which was defining wisdom, I just came across this definition, and thought it's rather nice.

Wisdom is a deep understanding of people, things, events or situations, empowering the ability to choose or act to consistently produce the optimum results with a minimum of time and energy.

But then it continues...

Wisdom is the ability to optimally (effectively and efficiently) apply perceptions and knowledge and so produce the desired results.

This part is interesting because it implies that if the desired results are not produced, then the applied action cannot be called wisdom, correct?
So, it's like the outcome determines whether it was wisdom or not.

Wisdom is comprehension of what is true or right coupled with optimum judgment as to action. Synonyms include: sagacity, discernment, or insight. Wisdom often requires control of one's emotional reactions (the "passions") so that one's principles, reason and knowledge prevail to determine one's actions.

There you go... I just thought I'd throw this into out pot of wisdom.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Isn't that what I said??

I wrote:To me, wisdom is the reaction, way of being, action, or what have you, that yields the ideal result(s) for everyone involved.
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:09 pm

LOL!
Yes....... well, that's kind of what you said, but I can understand the =0o reaction.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Alvino » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 am

To me, wisdom is the reaction, way of being, action, or what have you, that yields the ideal result(s) for everyone involved.

Ryan, wen I wuz bout 15 I visited TX from my home in Michigan.

I borded a bus an sat in the seat bhind the white bus driver. He told me to
move to the bac of the bus. I asked y. He tole mi to reed the sign
taped to the bac of his seat. It said: If you due nut speak English
you must sit at the bac of the bus.

I said to him: ' I speak better English then you do" and I DID not move.
The bus driver told mi the cops would give me a beating.
I still did not move from that seat. I had been sitting in that seat
or the nearest seat to the front that I found empty all of my bus riding
years before this happen - in MI.
My two adult male cousins begin to beg me to move to the back of the
bus. One had alreddy walked all the way to the back seat but came
back to get me to go back.

I am wondering if you would share your interpretation of My "REACTION "
= ACTION =
UP to the point my young adult male cousin was pleading with me to obey
the bus driver.
in other words what response by me to my cousin's pleading by me would
your Definition of Wisdom be considered BY YOU, RYAN to be a WISE or wisdom type
"REACTION" or "Action"
ROSIE PARKS the Black hero who refused to move to the back of the bus had NOT
done her historical refusal to move to the back of the bus YET.
IF YOU do give us your Interpretation or your view of what would have been a WISDOM
time response to my cousin's pleading for me to obey THE TEXAS LAWS.
I thank you in advance.

When I read Sabina's response to your Claim that you said what she said FIRST and that
you had said ALL she said about the meaning of wisdom I misread her word CAN
I read it as Yes, Ryan your post was Kind of like mine (hers) but I CAN'T UNDERSTAND
why you responded as you did == OR words to this effect. I repeat I read CAN't
which is what my mind responded to your clarification or claim that You had already
posted the definition she HAD just posted to help us understand better what wisdom is.

Thank you very much IF YOU merely answer my request and not my mistake of writing too much.
Ryan, I hope you reached the understanding that my intention and goal was NOT TO TELL George
I loved him but to tell him ANY ONE CAN ASK UNANSWERABLE QUESTIONS.
Please, I plead with you, disregard my composition mistakes, Please FOCUS on my request
for you to HELP us by using my real life situation to CLARIFY your above stated
definition of what WISDOM is.
Sabina, I seek knowledge so I am very grateful to you for your work to help us and
I am grateful to you, Ryan, sincerely.
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Sabina wrote:Wisdom as something that is acquired with age and experiences makes sense. It is not by chance that one of the classic images of a wise person is an old sage. People rarely refer to children, teenagers or young adults as wise, and if they do, then they are usually called an "old soul".

Now connecting Alvino's final statement that God can never be wise, as God doesn't acquire knowledge, God already knows it all, with the statement of Generous George (a few posts up), that we are all reflections of God, the outcome is that we cannot be wise either. We, as reflections of God, already know it all, just as God (a.k.a. supreme being, etc. etc. *insert your special title here*) does. We just don't know that we know it.

Does anyone agree with that?
Let's assume for the moment that it is true.
Then the question would be - why don't we know that we know it all?
Why don't we (or most people) have an awareness of our omniscience and omnipotence?

Sabina

PS: Alvino, welcome to Deep Spirits!

I do agree that we reflections of God what ever you say that is and at times we do know that we know ....at times we know things with out having anyway to know it .. most people have no awareness because they can not see .. I believe that Jesus was quite serious when he said we can do all that he has done and more because we are all capable.
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Postby Ryan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

In response to Alvino

First off... this is the first time ever I have heard of the "No English" law and couldn't find any information on it on the web... so I would appreciate, if you can, providing me with some background information upon this law so that I may research it later. But Ok...

You would like me to try and judge the situation of you and your cousin on a bus in Texas in which the law was that if you don't speak English you have to ride in the back of the bus, correct? (And let me guess... the sign was in English, yes?)

Well... your remark "I speak better English than you do." was not very wise nor intelligent... You started everything off with a condescending response to a man that probably has a relationship with some of the law enforcement officers that even in the case he was in the wrong you wouldn't have stood a chance. So, insisting afterward to sit in the front of the bus was not very wise either...so in closing, to speculate on a wise thing you could have said to your cousin... I cannot as it was your cousin that offered wise words to you instead.

To judge as to whether or not the end result turned out well for all those involved, or not, I cannot really say. No one got beat, while on the other hand, you and your cousin were shunned to the back of the bus and it didn't change anything for any non-English speaking person that got on the bus after this incident. Also, rather than the driver possibly feeling bad about his enforcement of the "law" due to a friendly talk from your part about being a visitor to his "great country" and please excuse your not so perfect use of the language but that you do speak and understand the language rather well, instead your snappy remark in comparison with his English might have only confirmed the approach in his mind that the law was in fact just... but as I said...I can't really say... I'm instead only speculating on the possibilities...

As for my "clarification or claim to having already posted the definition of wisdom that Sabina had just posted to help you understand better what wisdom is" was out of uncertainty as well. It seemed kind of strange that one would make a post in further elaboration upon a point without referencing the point they are elaborating upon... or maybe I didn't understand her post correctly and she could clarify if I had been mistaken... or even possibly she never saw my post. However, if I would have never said anything, nothing would have a chance to be clarified.
Ryan

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 am

All of my fellow members on DS forum, you have done a commendable job on this thread.

No situation is without a lesson, no situation at all. All situations are pregnant, but you have to discover; it may not be available on the surface. You have to be watchful, you have to look at all the aspects of the situation.

-Osho

For me, Wisdom is like a word-web. Its usage and its aura that is created by many other synonyms and relative words, that would shroud around the circumference of that very expression and that ideas of yours. This word-web elevates you from the very "literal" sense of the word and conveys you to your understanding of life from that very situation in various perspectives altogether.

Quote - "Wisdom is that very sense of nature that is instilled in you."
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate