Defining Wisdom

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Defining Wisdom

Postby Alvino » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 am

The book written by Jesus in the OT is named Sirhan who was
Jesus' grandson.
this book is not recognized by Protestant groups.
Sorry, I did not name it. Thank you.
I think only one other Bible book Proverbs comes close
to this book for addressing Wisdom.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Sabina » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 am

Ok, but when I google that name (here's the link: Sirhan, or Sirhan book), the results don't look right.... are you sure it's spelled like that?

Which proverb from the bible are you referring to in reference to wisdom?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am

George, I understand your frustration...sincerely I do... I, as a teen and well into my early twenties, blatantly rebelled against my surroundings to the point of severely harming myself because I was so passionate that they were all hypocritical charlatans and I wasn't going to play their games. To oppose one direction of fanaticism with another is equally as frustrating to everyone else around you.

Through the attack of something considered holy you will not accomplish anything but confirm your own beliefs that there is no "talking" with a Christian about their beliefs. Because as a response to your attack they can only immediately grab hold of their "rock" with both hands and legs and defend it with their eyes closed and their fingers in their ears going "Na na na na na na na na!!". It is a completely natural response for someone who was never taught to question things and not to simply accept with blind faith...but more to the contrary.

If you realize that most of these "Christians" grew up knowing nothing else... parents of "Christians"...aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends..their whole life surrounded with "Christians" and Christian beliefs... It's the only thing they know... and no matter how false and corrupt it maybe, they do find comfort in it all. And you want to jerk the band-aid off? Pull the blanket from the child's clutches to show them that it is a false comfort...? It's not going to work and the harder you pull the more they will pull back!

The approach is the same of the Catholic missionaries who came to "save" the native Americans from their savage ways... and it is equally faltered... because the reason you do it is Love but the way is not.

Show love, understanding... ask questions (without implying the answer)... just give them (as you said earlier) "food for thought"... Not necessarily the faults within the Bible... but in the man that is interpreting the words... that were translated and interpreted by the man whose mother language was not Aramaic... put faults on the man as those can be easier to accept than putting the fault upon "the Word of God". That will be rejected and the door will be closed in your face without a hope of reaching them... you will be labeled and to never again be a source of information regarding their beliefs. Instead appeal to their already existing beliefs, man is a sinner and falls to temptation (mistakes in the bible are due to man's error... it could even be that the wisdom of God's or Jesus's words were not understood correctly by those that wrote them down in the first place... trust their heart as Jesus resides there and speaks to them from there...), Jesus and God are loving and forgiving... does the scripture that has been translated as "whatever" show a loving and forgiving being? Is this how you love and forgive your children? Why would God love his children any less... are you capable of loving deeper than God? Maybe it was a misinterpretation or translation... or even worse an added intent from the governing body that translated the words and published the book?

Offer alternative interpretations that would be easier for them to accept than that which has been preached to them...

The object is balance... not by countermeasure but by pulling more and more of the extremes from the outer edge to the center... If you pull too hard, too fast... the result won't be what you wanted but more a mess than a solution.

Just food for thought...
;0)
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Alvino wrote:My Dear Mirjana:

I feel very certain that this Wisdom and God belief is my original thought.

support: Catholic School = almost forever because I flunked a few grades,
plus six earned college degrees and finished all class work for my 3rd MA
and 2 more and I can earn my Principal/superintendent certificate and
3 more and I can earn a Home Building degree. And I have read tons of books, rarely were they fiction.

but I must consider what YOU KNOW == There is nothing New under the sun = this, too, is vanity.

PS: With great Love and Respect I sincerely and strongly suggest Folks read my
very favorite and Most Favorite Book in the Bible = the book written by JESUS.
it is about 80 percent about Wisdom. I LOVE IT.

Mine was a simple question about the sentence I liked and admire. Sometimes people, me including,paraphrase something because they like it, and it is OK. BTW, that does not have anything to do with a level of knowledge. I was a bit surprise with "My dear Mirjana" and your need to tell all about grades, MA and other certificates, as to me it looked like you felt offended and needed to prove something which was not asked. Am I right? If so, I was surprised, because my intentions were good and affirmative. So far, nobody has ever asked anything of grades or qualifications here, neither has I, as for our open debates led here, it is not important. What represents us here are words we use in these talks. So, without attention to assume, I asked and the same time recommended the very same your sentence to be posted as your quote under DS Quotes. It has shown the best what I thought about that sentence.
There is one section here :CONSULTATION/Quotes by Deep Spirits where DS members can have their quotes posted. The whole procedure is described there and after reading it you will understand why I ask the question I asked, recommending the same time this your quote to be posted there.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Alvino » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 am

MIRJANA:
I am deeply grateful for your SHARING all that you did:

My conscious reason was What does it take to qualify for this Quote desination:
my answer was show WHY I believe it is original so my education was used to
show I had read many books. What I wanted to say was: Thanks for pointing out this Group
system of giving credit for original quotes and, because I did not know how to qualify I made the boo boo of offering my extensive reading history as evidence for my belief that it is original.

bottom line: I am extremely grateful for your help.

Mirjana, I repeat, Thank You. What you did to Help me is one of the primary
traits that I would seek in a Friend: You kindly took the time to Help me.

SABINA: Ouch - two mistakes in one submission.
Yes, your thinking is totally correct: I gave you the wrong name.

SIRACH. The book deals with the individual, family and the community in their relationships with one another and with God. It addresses Friendship, education, the law, religious worship
and other matters which reflect social and religious customs.

This is for George: I have another belief which I believe is an original thought .
George, "There is ONLY ONE PERSON on the entire earth who knows who and what God IS."

I think I read a long message from Ryan in here sharing suggestions about what you
could do regarding your statements about what and who God is (is not).
I feel that if you identify the ONE PERSON on earth who knows who and what God is
you will begin to use all of Ryan's suggestions in your future comments to yourself and to others about the Cristian Religious doctrines and beliefs.
There is another way of saying my quote:
"Alvino (George) there is only one person on the entire earth who can tell George or Al or anyone else who and what God is."
George, I am reading all of your posts with Great Interest and I sincerely thank you for
sharing them with me.
Thank you, Ryan for that long Wise post.
Alvino

Postby Sabina » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Alvino wrote:SIRACH. The book deals with the individual, family and the community in their relationships with one another and with God. It addresses Friendship, education, the law, religious worship and other matters which reflect social and religious customs.

Hi Alvino,

Ok, that looks better than than the first suggestion.
;0)

I have researched a bit and the book "Sirach" was written by Ben Sira (Jesus ben Sira), who is thought to have written it in approximately 180–175 BC, in Alexandria/Egypt.
I just thought I'd add that information, in case anyone is interested.

Sabina

PS: I agree with Mirjana that you should submit your quote about the wisdom of God in the DS quotes forum.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Welcome, Alvino, no need for that, still thanks. I have just clarifed things so that we do not come in the situation to missunderstand each other. You did the same, well, no harm done, we go further as until now.

Mirjana
=0)
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Alvino » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:47 am

KUDO FOR MIRJANA:
MY REASON: I think our duty is to help each other to be Gooder citizens, to BECOME Gooder Humans AND in this case GOODER DS Members.

MIRJANA . gave me the GIFT of that very KINDNESS in a most respectful and caring manner in my estimation of her message and approach.

Added reason: It is my experience that often times PEOPLE DO NOT HELP OTHERS IN THE manner Mirjana helped me because they are afraid -
afraid of ??WHAT ?? Is another story as GEORGE says.

I do not know how to record /submit a KUDO . If permissable, would someone
Please do this for me. THANKS
Alvino

Postby Alvino » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 am

like the idea that the challenges of existence in our reality are the only way to continue the process to meet the (not yet understandable) goals of God. Trying to decide what those goals are from reading an old book written by Bronze Age Natives and then cherry picking the good stuff does not seem like the way to make progress.

Sir, (George, I have decided that God clearly told us HIS GOAL FOR US by Using Jesus
to deliver this TRUTH to US.

What was Jesus' (his Son''s FIRST MIRACLE?

YES , Jesus turned Water into WINE and he did it at a PARTY..

I am certain you will agree Wine and Fun go together. The purpose for Wine is
primarily to have a FUN TIME.
I am certain you know the Primary purpose of a Party is for ALL guests to have FUN

The picture I have formed of you is YOU HAVE LOTS OF FUN IN LIFE:

the Military was Pure Fun for You. your love for being different is PURE FUN.
you vast Jewelry knowledge and awesome success in that field has been Great FUN for you.
Your Fishing Boat IN the company of a child is undubitable FUN for You.

Whisper: GEORGE YOU HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN your GOAL in life is to HAVE FUN,
LOTS OF FUN
BUT YOU DID NOT KNOW THAT YOU KNEW
YOUR GOAL and OUR GOAL IN LIFE
WAS TO HAVE FUN, LOTS OF FUN.

whisper: THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS TO HAVE FUN. GOD IS AWESOME....

EUREKA: Now you may say you do UNDERSTAND GOD's GOAL for us on earth.

No human can ever have WISDOM without First having UNDERSTANDING.

ADDED: One of my sub goals in life since Grade four or so was
UNDERSTANDING UNDERSTANDING.
May we have an A M E N.
Alvino

Postby kevin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 am

we witness,
it shakes all within, bringing life on brink of end,
with compelling, telling wish to be born again, in womb of this death,
it cajoles us, to midwife rebirth of self.

this new being in union with ʻdivineʼ - the unfolding ʻcreativeʼ within,
sets out afoot, to brighten our world,
submerges the self in sea of life, dividing & uniting the holy spirit in loving embrace,
for him, for her, for you, for me & for all, in unseen expansion of grace.

perched on ground below, we marvel on
those human lives - carriers of our collective culture,
granting us the spectacle to see our moral meme, and guiding us all
to divine milieu, flowing & gliding into ether infinite.

for us, most & many,
enigma continues, what is enlightenment? who is enlightened?
what is spirit?

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/festiva ... ngFilm.php
kevin

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate