Darvish Mustafa Ali

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Darvish Mustafa Ali

Postby alejandrocerv » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Last weekend (July 8th-10th, 2011), I attended my first "Blissfest", an annual three-day music festival held in Harbor Springs, MI. Overall, it was a tremendous and life-changing experience. To avoid getting sidetracked by excessive reminiscing, I'll get to the point of this post.

On Sunday (7-10-11), I wandered into the Blissfest Drum Kiva at about 7PM ET. There were a few youths there, around my age, of various descent, playing their drums, and for the first 10 minutes, only one adult (people came and went; and unimportant detail). This man was not playing a drum, but a medium-sized didgeridoo quite masterfully. He was dressed in a coarse wool garment, the proper name of which I don't know, that was like a robe covering all but his head, hands, and the ends of his sandals. He wore a wool turban of the same "bone" color (similar to the Deepspirits forum background [not the margins]) as his robe. This was a light-skinned, white-bearded, Caucasian-looking man, around the age of 65 if I were to guess, the sight of whom made me alight with joy and near-reverence.

I sat next to him, grabbing an extra drum and beginning to play. We accompanied him on the didgeridoo for about 5 minutes, until he became tired and stopped. I noticed that the shoulders of his robe were soaked with sweat (it was nearly 90*F!), at which moment he noted that he felt dehydrated. The voice that came out of him, however, was throaty to an extreme, and punctuated, lifted, and accented in a joyful, South Asian manner. I began wondering if he could perhaps be an Indian man with melanism, albinism, or any of various skin-lightening conditions.

Back to the moment, however, I thought bashfully (something I'm not used to) that I had no water to offer the man, and could do nothing but sit next to him and feel his presence.

To make a long story not so long, he introduced himself as a wandering Sufi who was camping down the hill from the Kiva. He said that he had come from Wisconsin over 100 miles (I'd say more like 400) in a "four-wheeled cart fueled by an internal combustion engine". I asked him where he was from, and he said that "it does not matter; I am from the Earth." He then proceeded to tell me this story:

"There was a woman who had the power to go from this place to another, and to another, in an instant. This power she sometimes used in the middle of sentences. One time, when with a group of friends, the traveled from where they were to the forest, and the ocean, and the desert, and back again. They said to her 'Thankfully, we are back where we started.' She responded, 'But we never left.' They were very confused, and asked her what she meant. 'Of course', they thought, 'we have been to the forest, the ocean, the desert, and back again'. She replied to their confusion, 'We never left this Earth.'

We discussed this and many other things, including my Baha'i Faith (of which he fervently approved), before he finally introduced himself fully as Mustafa Ali. He told me to call him Mustafa, and I did, but here I prefer to give him the utmost respect by calling him Darvish Mustafa Ali. I left Darvish Mustafa Ali that night at about 8:45 PM. We had spoken together, played music together, and laughed together in this short time. Before I left him, I gave him a parting gift: A 60-year old copy of The Seven Valleys and The Four Valleys, the Baha'i Faith's most mystic scripture. He was very appreciative. (Sidenote: I was able to get him water in a large jug)

I have never considered mysticism before, and never felt that I was highly connected with anything otherworldly, but I do feel this now. I had my first prescient thought just seconds after leaving him, and that was that I know I will see him again, in this physical life or the spiritual one to follow. I have felt his presence since, while singing Amazing Grace at the closing of Blissfest's main stage in honor of Blissfest's founder's grandmother's passing at 6:30 that same evening. I wonder if I am in his thoughts, and if he cherishes the literature I gave him as much as I appreciate the literature he gave me: spoken literature, literature of the heart.

Salam to all.
=0@
Zen Buddhist, mostly vegetarian, soon-to-be avid hiker.
alejandrocerv

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Favorite movie: Capitalism A Love Story
Things I like: I love music more than any other worldly thing. It is how I connect with God.
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 2

Re: Darvish Mustafa Ali

Postby mirjana » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 pm

How I could miss such a beautiful story, I do not know. But, I am happy that have just read it. Thank you for sharing your bliss with us.
I can understand how profound that experience must have been for you as my enjoyment in just reading about it has been exciting too. It is a bliss when such encounters happens to us, those which stay as a lasting mark in our memory and in our heart. This one obviously belongs to such according to your deeply emotional description. Your inspiring memory inspired me to open another topic "Blissful encounters that still illuminate your soul". Thank you for that too.
Not to mention that I am very attracted to the art of dervishes. =0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Darvish Mustafa Ali

Postby mirjana » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:59 pm

PS to my last post
There is another topic which could be interesting for you as related to your story:
http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/sufi-soul-t167.html
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Mysticism