Counterculture

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Counterculture

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Here is an important word: Counterculture (or counter-culture)
What is that?

Counterculture is a sociological term used to describe values or behaviors of a cultural group or subculture that opposes what is generally perceived as the dominant culture.

A little while ago I posted the Friendship in Virtual Times article, so I suppose that would qualify as a call against today's dominant culture, this virtual reality and how it consumes us on various levels, especially those who never knew a different life, so children, especially those who today grow up in cities. So it's an example of a counterculture article.

From Wikipedia:
"Countercultural milieux in 19th-century Europe included the traditions of Romanticism, Bohemianism and of the Dandy. Another movement existed in a more fragmentary form in the 1950s, both in Europe and the US, in the form of the Beat generation, or Beatniks, followed in the 1960s by the hippies and anti-Vietnam War protesters."

__5__
Related terms
subculture
In sociology, anthropology and cultural studies, a subculture is a group of people with a culture (whether distinct or hidden) which differentiates them from the larger culture to which they belong. If a particular subculture is characterized by a systematic opposition to the dominant culture, it may be described as a counterculture.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Words & Language