Control

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Control

Postby Sabina » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 pm

The thought and the idea of controlling nature is clearly a ridiculous concept. Anyone with half a brain can quickly come to that conclusion.

But what about self-control?

Some of the greatest minds expressed their thoughts on (self-)control:

Pythagoras said: "No man is free who cannot control himself.", and also: "No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself."

Alfred, Lord Tennyson said: "The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Isaac Bashevis Singer said "Man cannot live without self-control."

Oscar Wilde said: "A man who is master of himself can end a sorrow as easily as he can invent a pleasure. I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them."

George Orwell... "He who controls the present, controls the past. He who controls the past, controls the future."

Most of the above is generally considered good and wise advice, but the question poses itself: Aren't we nature as well?
If nature cannot be controlled, then how can we?
Is there a the difference? If yes, then what is it?

Thinking about all the above I remembered the movie "Instinct", specifically, the consistent message throughout that control is an illusion.

What are your thoughts?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Control

Postby Ryan » Sat May 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Control... I don't get it... What does it mean to exercise self-control?

I believe control is an illusion and anyone trying to "control" their behaviors... is in essence trying to fool themselves to see things a certain way in order to act a certain way. However, if they truly see something a certain way there is no need for control... instead it is just a change in view point which automatically provokes a change in behavior as a direct result.

So... why do they try and control themselves? Why do they want to see things differently? And what exactly is wrong with how they are that they need to control themselves...? Those would be the questions which would interest me in finding out about the whole "control" issue...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Sun May 09, 2010 4:18 am

Ryan wrote:So... why do they try and control themselves? Why do they want to see things differently? And what exactly is wrong with how they are that they need to control themselves...? Those would be the questions which would interest me in finding out about the whole "control" issue...

There could be many different answers as to why someone wants to and tries to control themselves.

Let's say they want something they feel they shouldn't want so the exercising of self-control is done in order to avoid any and all harmful consequences that may or would result from going after what they want.
Self-control.

The movie Instinct has a very suitable title. Your instinct pulls you one way, your mind or your heart pull you another way. You control yourself (your instinct) in order to follow your heart and/or your mind (depending on the specific situation).
Sometimes the instinct, the heart, and the mind are all in sync.
Sometimes the mind and the heart are, but the instinct isn't.
Sometimes each sends a different message....
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Sun May 09, 2010 11:59 am

Sabina wrote:Let's say they want something they feel they shouldn't want so the exercising of self-control is done in order to avoid any and all harmful consequences that may or would result from going after what they want.

I think the truth of it all lies in the why "they want something" and the why "they feel they shouldn't want" it. I mean, if they want something... great! What's wrong with wanting? Nothing is wrong with wanting as long as what they want does not hurt, harm, or hinder anyone or anything else. If it is harmful in some way then looking closer at why would reveal some important things about the individual which would, in turn, allow them to actually change something about themselves rather than simply exercising self-control.

And the same for why "they feel they shouldn't want"... if what they want doesn't harm anyone then where's the problem? If regardless that there is no problem and they still think they shouldn't want it, exploring and discovering the reason will allow them to realize somethings and through doing so make a change... and again... there is then no need for self-control because the point of view is changed. If what they want is harmful to someone or something then finding out why they would want some thing that will harm someone or something else will again shed some light on some aspect of themselves in which a change can be made and there is again no need to exercise any self-control... that approach is simply different through the awareness and recognition of things.

That's my understanding... as you mentioned the movie "Instinct"... things changed for Cuba Gooding's character the moment Anthony Hopkins's character took his illusions away... he didn't have to exercise self-control... things simply were different...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Return to Spirited Debate