Cheese & Wine

By Mirjana

Cheese & Wine

Postby mirjana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 pm

We have entered the season of holidays and with this time there is often a question what will be appropriate for our tables on some of holiday days.
One of nice and healthy ways to celebrate nourishing the body is with a glass of a good red wine and some cheese.
Red wine has plenty of health benefits. It has powerful antioxidant properties derived from the red pigments in grape skins belonging to the family of compounds called proanthocyanidins. Proanthocyanidins, known as condensed tannins, were discovered in 1948 by Jacques Masquelier, who developed and later patented techniques for the extraction of proanthocyanidins from pine needles and grape seeds.
Red wine contains tannins that hinders the formation of blood clots helping reducement of the heart attack risk.
Many studies have also shown that red wine can raise levels of HDL, which is the protective form of cholesterol.

I recommend organic red wine. Personally I limit my intake to no more than 1-2 servings per day, and not every day. Being vegetarian, I drink wine when I eat fish or see food or when I eat cheese. So, I can only advice the same for you.
Cheese, I do enjoy and not only because it is a natural source of calcium and protein, but because I enjoy its taste. I have heard that cheese should be eaten sparingly because of its fat content and effect on cholesterol levels. So I used to it with a kind of guilt, which was not good. Today I eat it aware of the benefits and with an awareness including a knowledge about different varieties of cheese and what/when is the best for my diet.
Because of its health benefits, today I incorporate more cheese into my diet. Soft French cheeses tend to be higher in fat, so I eat them prudently, still enjoying its delicious taste. Healthier, not less delicious options include organic, natural cheeses such as Emmental (Swiss), Jarlsberg and true Parmesan, which is my favorite. Just a small amount of cheese offers a big taste. If you take a piece or two with some home made bread and a glass of good red wine, you will feel like a queen/king.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Somewhere in Between