Change & Fear

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Change & Fear

Postby mirjana » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:27 pm

A little exercise about change and fear

Turning back to the topic, I think it could be interesting for each one of us to list three situations, truths or events that we are trying to run away from.

It would be then interesting to choose one of them that we feel is running our life the most.

Then it would be interesting to write ten drawbackas and ten benefits associated with this fear we are trying to run away from.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby kai » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:13 pm

This may be rather abrupt for me to jump in here, but this is my thoughts on change and how people seem to take it from what I've seen.

People seem to fear change, but I do not think it is because they fear change itself, more so that I think people fear uncertain change. When someone complains that they dislike a situation, they obviously would like it to change (unless stated otherwise), but they usually want it to change in a very specific manner. However the raw element of change is not so obedient a force and a situation can end up changing in any number of directions. It is this that brings fear into people, the idea that things could get just as much worse as they could get better. People like control, control creates a certainty that allows for ease of mind, and when that control is broken, the stability of their mind is tested. Change frightens people because it is uncontrollable, and theoretically speaking, it could be said that mankind (as an overall whole) has only spent the last several thousand years trying to control the world overall so the element of change would naturally be the antagonist to what mankind has tried to accomplish.

Note I'm not arguing for the intrinsic good or evil of change or mankind's actions or mankind altogether. Merely stating what I've observed as a general whole.
Life, is a point of view.
Go forth and see the world with eyes unclouded by hate.
kai

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby Sabina » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:45 am

kai wrote:... Change frightens people because it is uncontrollable, and theoretically speaking, it could be said that mankind (as an overall whole) has only spent the last several thousand years trying to control the world overall so the element of change would naturally be the antagonist to what mankind has tried to accomplish....

Makes sense, but then the weather should frighten people as well, as it is also uncontrollable, and can affect life in various ways.

Just a, possibly meaningless, thought that crossed my mind as I read the above.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby kai » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 am

That is very true, and I have found that the weather does indeed frighten many people, though in a different manner. As I have seen it, that which people are more often than not subjected to, they tend to react differently towards. The weather is something that we all deal with from day to day, and so we grow more used to it overall. However look at a simple difference between Chicago, Illinois, and Huston, Texas. In Chicago, snow is regular, in massive amounts and the people there are hardly affected by it compared to what you would think. In Texas, if there is even 1/2 of an inch of snow on the ground, they will cancel school and the number of wrecks will rise sharply; to the people in Chicago, that means nothing.

It seems as simply a matter of conditioning on that front. As with most things in life, the more you see of something/the more you experience something, the less it affects you.

As Joseph Stalin said: "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic."
Life, is a point of view.
Go forth and see the world with eyes unclouded by hate.
kai

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby IsonaliAki » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:58 am

I'm gonna skip right over the king/becker discussion, because I'm totally lost LOL

However, I will throw in my 2 cents about fear/change. I've come to the realization that, at least in the majority of cases I have discovered, there isn't truly a fear of change in and of itself. The true fear, in my own opinion, is the fear of the unknown.
Dave
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
And has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams
IsonaliAki

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 3

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate