Can our personality change?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Postby Sabina » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Sure, we adjust in life, and we change various aspects of ourselves, but is there a part of us that doesn't change? Isn't there a constant part as well?
Is there a part of us which is the essence of us as a person?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Can our personality change?

Postby dermot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 pm

There is what i have heard descibed as the 'Observer', essentially Spirit, which is unchanging. Its possible to observe our own thoughts, and that indicates an observer.

I think personality changes all through life, as experience changes our reality. Outlook, disposition, etc probably dont change all that much, but mostly there is change as evidenced by a child becoming an adult.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 pm

I shall try to express my point of view about this with DS symbol.
According to Jung, self encompasses all possibilities of our life, energies and potential that we are capable of becoming. That is what our life would be if entirely fulfilled. Our life is like a circle. And in its centre there is a part which is unconscious and unknown to us, but this part is pushing us and our capacities. In numerology this part is called Heart Desire, as this is a true part of us which is true as the ocean in its depth. Waves and everything what is happening on the surface of the ocean is what is ego in our life, conscious identification with self, body, experiences and memories.
In numerology personality is the protective part of self that is our mask in our interconnection with the world. We decide with our ego, protective tool of our personality, when and to whom we shall reveal more inner aspects of ourselves, but the most hidden, unconscious parts of us are not changeable if not brought out into the state of awareness.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Metatron » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:59 am

As Dermot said, when a child is growing up, it is making itself a personality through experiences. I think that just as a personality can be born and developed, it can also change... Maybe it cannot after a point in one's life, but it's hard to tell, I'm not quite sure about this.

I know lol, I said it can in that other topic, maybe I should have thought more about it but it doesn't really affect what I said in that other topic, so that's why I didn't.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I believe that there is a basic part of who we are... this is defined upon conception... or birth. I believe this is the hardest part to affect. I do not think it is impossible... I just think it is difficult... I think it is possible you can't really change it but you can affect how these things are present in your decisions and actions.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby HGolightly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Ryan wrote:I believe that there is a basic part of who we are... this is defined upon conception... or birth. I believe this is the hardest part to affect. I do not think it is impossible... I just think it is difficult... I think it is possible you can't really change it but you can affect how these things are present in your decisions and actions.

I share a similar belief with Ryan. Researchers have been performing long running genetic tests in relations to the "personality gene" in association with psychological studies of individuals and their "innate" characteristics. I definitely believe people have the ability to modify certain aspects of their personalities. Self-awareness and through a lot of work - definitely a possibility.

Gosh, it's been a decade since I've read up on this stuff, and I'm sure it has advanced significantly since ...

[]D
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby Daywhite » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm

I've long believed that we don't so much learn as we grow as much as we unlearn. We're each born perfect beings, and as we grow, we're taught whatever society we are born into expects of us. We learn what that particular society may deem important and necessary. Later, we start to wonder and question (some more than others =0/ ), trying to make real sense of the world, our individual selves, true right and wrong. I think this is when we are looking for our true selves, who we are in our own individual soul; this is the part of us I feel never changes.

As you ask, "Isn't there a constant part as well? Is there a part of us which is the essence of us as a person?" I think that's what may be each individual's soul. That is our foundation as beings. As much as a dichotomy as it may seem, I think it is this same individual soul that keeps us connected as living beings. It's as if we are all single pieces of a multi-billion piece jigsaw puzzle. Each is unique and has its place, but at the same time, we are each part of a much larger single entity, no one any more or less important than any other.

Just as clothes are used to cover a body, changing day by day, maybe minute by minute, we each use various coverings for our true selves. Maybe we do this as yet another form of protection. We wear a coat as protection against severe temperatures, and, perhaps, we cover our true selves, only showing what we feel is expected, what meets societal expectations, out of fear of judgment or being ostracized. But, just as no matter how much we may cover our body, underneath, it remains what it is; as much as we may cover who we truly are, that part of us never changes. We can exercise our body to improve it, but that is no real change; it is still the same body. We're simply sloughing off, through work, the unnecessary aspects of the body.

We can do the same with our souls. We may gather much excess material, all weighing our psyche down. We gain this through, just as our bodies do with junk-food, junk-information, junk-beliefs, all of the things forced on us from childhood on, all of the things that make us believe we're not beautiful, we're not perfect; all of this excess weighs on our soul until we're able to shrug it off. But in shrugging it off, we haven't changed our true selves; we've simply returned to our true selves, what you call the essence of us as a person.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Sabina » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Exactly..
Except, I don't think we all put on an equal amount of "excess baggage".
That may have to do with the environment we were born into or it may also be an essential part of who we are in essence.. the ability or the skill to not be pulled down into the mud may therefore vary from individual to individual, depending on how far the essence of that person is developed.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Daywhite wrote:...

Just as clothes are used to cover a body, changing day by day, maybe minute by minute, we each use various coverings for our true selves. Maybe we do this as yet another form of protection. We wear a coat as protection against severe temperatures, and, perhaps, we cover our true selves, only showing what we feel is expected, what meets societal expectations, out of fear of judgment or being ostracized. But, just as no matter how much we may cover our body, underneath, it remains what it is; as much as we may cover who we truly are, that part of us never changes. We can exercise our body to improve it, but that is no real change; it is still the same body. We're simply sloughing off, through work, the unnecessary aspects of the body.

We can do the same with our souls. We may gather much excess material, all weighing our psyche down. We gain this through, just as our bodies do with junk-food, junk-information, junk-beliefs, all of the things forced on us from childhood on, all of the things that make us believe we're not beautiful, we're not perfect; all of this excess weighs on our soul until we're able to shrug it off. But in shrugging it off, we haven't changed our true selves; we've simply returned to our true selves, what you call the essence of us as a person.

Yes, I tried to explain it through numerology. =0) What are clothes in your explanation, that is personality in numerology, clothes for our soul or our true being to protect self, or true nature from all that junk we live in.
It seems that in tribes, where they do not need so many clothes to protect themselves, as they live in harmony with nature and without junk needs, the same is with their souls, much less of masks and more authencity as they are closer to the source and their true nature.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby ThePermster » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 pm

My own viewpoint is that yes we can change, but only in a very causal way, for as long as we lead unexamined lives.
This kind of change I see as negligible and only iconoclastic change as poignant and worthwhile in any sense. This can only occur when a life makes the leap from intelligent being to wise being and introspection stops being a tool of the cognitive mind and becomes a proverbial portal to a higher state of being.
This latter way to exist is where "baggage", irrationality and grandiose delusions are essentially cured. The former also occasionally alludes to the latter but this is wherein people are common to be found saying that dramatic change is difficult when in actuality it's not, with adoption of the latter change comes with ease and with an eventual full transition to its tenets, so does personal harmony.

Mainstream thought seems to operate under the idea that this latter state is inherent in man, either from birth or from adulthood though this seems a tad egotistical to me and I personally subscribe to a very opposite idea. Though this is a different can of worms so whatever, I just think that that ratio of sentient/naturalistic man is the important part.
ThePermster

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Return to Spirited Debate