Books that change our life

The art of written works: Book recommendations,
poetry readings, inspiring novels, etc.

Books that change our life

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm

To all who want to fly high
Considered as a spiritual classic, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, written by Richard Bach, is a beautiful story of a seagull learning about life and flight. The story is a beautiful symbol for self-perfection and the path of transcending the limitations of this reality. It was first published in 1970 as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull — a story”. Over all these years since then the story has been stayed as a bestseller.
It is a book on yourself that one can never have enough of as it tells the story that everyone can relate to.
It is the book of dreams one can understand only by achieving personal dreams. It is also a book of inspiring others to carry on in fulfilling their dreams. The beauty of this book is also in pointing out that there are other Seagulls like us who are interested in art of flying. The beauty of kindred souls is in learning about flying and approaching dreams by sharing and supporting each other on that way of personal discovery. That is why I love Deep Spirits.

The book has inspired music and cinematography.
Neil Diamond, who for me represents the voice of the cosmic spheres, has made his album with the same name featuring songs from the film with the same title.

Enjoy...

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

The Shack

Postby Sabina » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

I would recommend "The Shack" as a beautiful spiritual book for both, the religious and non-religious alike...

the-shack.jpg
the-shack.jpg (149.37 KiB) Viewed 2189 times

Here are a couple of quotes from the book...

Papa (God): "There are millions of reasons to allow pain and hurt and suffering rather than to eradicate them, but most of these reasons can only be understood within each person’s story. I am not evil. You are the ones who embrace fear and pain and power and rights so readily in your relationships. But your choices are not stronger than my purposes, and I will use every choice you make for the ultimate good and the most loving outcome"

Sarayu (Holy Spirit): "Both evil and darkness can only be understood in relation to Light and Good; they do not have any actual existence. I am Light and I am Good. I am Love and there is no darkness in me. Light and Good actually exist. So, removing yourself from me will plunge you into darkness. Declaring independence will result in evil because apart from me, you can only draw upon yourself. That is death because you have separated from me: Life"
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Books that change our life

Postby Heidi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

For those who have read and enjoyed Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and want to go a bit further, Bach's Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, is a must!
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby dermot » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Seven Spiritual Laws - Deepak Chopra
The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

"The Power of Silence" by Carlos Castaneda

Postby mirjana » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 am

Yes, Dermot. Both are great and must for our DS Library.
I suggest "The Power of Silence" by Carlos Castaneda.
Visionary brilliance of Carlos Castaneda has been fascinating readers all over the world for more than 30 years. He first explored the world of the Yaqui Indian sorcerer in The Teachings of Don Juan. Don Juan returns in The Power of Silence as wise as always, working miracles and playing practical jokes, seeking the wisdom of the warrior.
It is illuminating book that through Don Juan’s stories reveals the true meaning of shaman sorcery and magic.
Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Randall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 am

I'd recommend them as well, Eckart Tolle has a wonderful way of explaining his thoughts and beliefs. Deepak Chopra is one of my wifes favorite writers... hahaha I read Deepak's name and I instantly hear MEDITATE! hahaha

Here is one that definitely helped me along the way, its called "Black Elk Speaks"
This is some back round of the book,

In the summer of 1930, as part of his research into the Native American perspective on the Ghost Dance movement, Neihardt contacted an Oglala holy man named Black Elk, who had been present as a young man at the 1876 Battle of the Little Big Horn and the 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre. As Neihardt tells the story, Black Elk gave him the gift of his life's narrative, including the visions he had had and some of the Oglala rituals he had performed. The two men developed a close friendship. The book Black Elk Speaks, grew from their conversations continuing in the spring of 1931, and is now Neihardt's most familiar work. The current popularity of the book shows the growth of interest in the social and ethical analysis of Native American tribes.
The Indian Reader, a publication of the Native American Church, claims to have interviewed Wallace Black Elk, Black Elk's grandson, also a medicine man. It is claimed that a copy of the book interested scholars in Germany, including the psychologist Carl Jung and that it was republished in 1961.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:32 am

Yes, Randall, great suggestion. We have that book. Amazing wisdom.
The time back my husband and I heard of that book from our friend Pat. She is also DS member.

Mirjana
mirjana

Return to Literature