Bleeding ears

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Bleeding ears

Postby Agate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm

At some time or another, we've probably all experienced a phenomenon that makes my ears bleed: Someone driving with their music blaring. These individuals are usually fairly young, and (in my area at least) the music played is peppered with profanity. While mildly annoying on a busy street, I don't really mind encountering them...in commercial or industrial areas. I only have problems when someone comes rolling through a residential area with their volume maxed. Recently I witnessed a young man (who is employed by my apartment complex) pull into a parking spot. His music was so loud that it echoed off the surrounding buildings.

I have had occasions to crank up my car speakers. Highway + open windows + being 17 years old often = loud music, after all! But I always turned it down in areas that noise could be a nuisance.

So my question is this: Why do some individuals keep on blasting where it is not appropriate? Lack of respect? If so, lack of respect for whom? Do they not know that their music is an unwelcome intrusion? Do they not care?
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: Bleeding ears

Postby Ryan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:57 pm

I think it is because of the need for attention...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Agate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Ryan wrote:I think it is because of the need for attention...

Okay, I can see that...and kudos for suggesting an angle I hadn't thought of!

Even if that is the case, that these people are attention-seeking, the question of "why" still remains. Yes, we all need attention, but why is it that blaring music and being a nuisance is an acceptable means to achieve the desired end?
Agate

Postby dermot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I think Agate, that its guaranteed attention....it cant be ignored either by those who like it, or those who dont.
So...its win, win.

I love music, and sometimes very loud...but i dont expect others to have to endure it!

Some people crave attention...obviously they were denied it when they should have had it, ie...when they were kids?
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Postby Ryan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:59 pm

<3
Thanks for the kudos...

Why...? From my experience, the ones who can afford the cars and nice/powerful stereo systems are those whose parents have an... shall we say... abundance of money. Most of the time the parents certainly want to give the child the things it wants... but also they feel they need to make up for neglecting the child emotionally. So they provide for the child materially to excess... to compensate that neglect, plus when and if the child ever comes to the point to be able to verbally express the feelings of neglect, the parent can say "Look at all the things you have! You are just ungrateful and spoiled. You don't know what love is. There are thousands of kids that go to bed hungry every night and here you are with all this stuff. You think I bust my butt at work all day to buy you all these nice things because I like it?"

I don't blame the kids... although when I was their age they irritated me to no end... but that's a whole other story... it's the parents fault... but even they themselves are products of their environments... so... what to do?

Don't get me wrong I believe that they are enjoying the music loud and it is also partially a "mating call" of sorts and their hopes are to gain attention from both those who like the music, its volume level, and think it is cool... plus, they enjoy the attention they receive from those who find all of it irritating or annoying. Hence my reasoning that it is for attention...

I once had a friend back in high school that had a nice stereo system in his car. He wasn't such a kid, although his family wasn't hurting on the money side of things, as he bought his stereo system himself from money earned by working. He also liked to flaunt what he had out of pride until someone broke into his car and stole his stereo system. He invested in another nice system eventually except he kept it all on the down low and looked for ways to hide the stereo components in the car rather than showing it of.

Nothing wrong with listening to music loud. I enjoy it myself... but I think for the most part those that are repetitively annoyingly loud are generally looking to get attention in some form or fashion. They are generally lacking it so much they don't care if it comes in the form of admiration or criticism.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby IsonaliAki » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:30 am

Now Ag you know I'm ALLL about the different perspectives, so I'll throw in another potential here, though I am not disagreeing with the idea that some are out for attention at all. However, it is possible that (though I personally don't "lose myself" in much profane music) they are "lost" in the music and it may not be so much that they don't "care" in that "screw you I don't care what you think" kind of way, but more in that "huh? you? who you? *bliss out*" kind of way.

I'll never forgot after I got my dual 12" sub-woofs in the firebird *looses himself in nostalgia for a moment* the first time I sat in my back yard (yes at the 'old' house) with the doors/windows of my car vibrating as I blared Smitty's "Agnus dei" ...... I found out later it offended some of my neighbors... but, especially at that moment, I didn't particular care about my neighbors because I was just completely lost in the sound.

Just a thought...
Dave
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
And has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams
IsonaliAki

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 3

Postby Agate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:51 am

I definitely leave room for the bliss-out argument. While I work overtime to respect my neighbors, there are a few songs that just need to be blasted. That's why I only start to get crabby about the blasters when it goes on through multiple songs, multiple days. Your blasting of "Agnus Dei" was an isolated incident. Even if you played it several times, it was one day. (I could take off on a tangent about a neighborhood that welcomes profane music-blasting but nets complaints about a religious song but won't. For now.)

There is a look and feel to folks who are blasting 'cause they're blissed out on the music. And at least in my neighborhood, it's usually lacking in the blasters.
Agate

Return to Spirited Debate