Black, White, Gray?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Black, White, Gray?

Postby Ryan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Is there such things as something being strictly Black and White without any gray or is everything just shades of grays? If you look at things objectively everything has positive, negative and neutral affects on it's surroundings... rape, murder, war, religion, etc.

Isn't it just personal preference and association based upon experience and understanding that makes us lean towards one shade or another when considering anything?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: Black, White, Gray?

Postby mirjana » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Great topic Ryan and well corresponding to some other we have been duiscussing lately:

The movie RASHOMON, 1950, is maybe not a bad illustration for this topic. It is directed by Akira Kurosawa.
Starring: Toshirô Mifune, Machiko Kyô, Masayuki Mori, Takashi Shimura, Minoru Chiaki

A man has been murdered and a woman has been raped by bandit. Only a lowly woodcutter witnesses the event, and each person present for the crime must retell their versions of the story. There are many stories within stories. The woodcutter tells the story of these other characters telling the story of what happened. Each character is presented as being truthful.
As none of the stories match up, we must decide who is telling the truth and which version of the story is real. They all honestly believe in their versions of the story and none of them has ever been caught telling lies. So, at the end, we are left with the knowledge that everything is horrible around us and that it is not possible to discover the reality of anything what happens.
The film challenges the nature of reality and the nature of man. We are witnessing what people are capable when they are at their lowest, as over the movie the characters become symbols of human lowest and darkest feelings.
The most powerful message of the movie is that we cannot trust even our own eyes. =0(
I cannot escape the association of Two Travelling Angels
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Good topic Ryan!

I would resist the idea of classifying things as either Black or White

but

I have always thought that things are either positive or negative.

Maybe its a personal decision to view as either positive or negative, but it implies an energy is at play?
Whereas black, white or grey doesnt?
To me it is almost a superficial description to use the colour analogy, and a deeper one to use an energy based one.

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 am

It seems to me it should not matter that much whether or not we term things black vs white, or negative vs positive (although I understand and agree with Dermots description).......because as you both point out there is always a mixture of those qualities in any given situation.

I think a significant part of this subject is how we treat the "smaller parts" of the "whole". At the risk of "beating a dead horse", take for example the comments of the judge to the girl singing in American Idol.

In this case the specific comment of one judge to one contestant was automatically placed/interpreted in the negative category (just my opinion) because it was thought that the overall philosophy of the show in particular and the entertainment business as a whole was negative.

Please understand, I am not trying to make a new case for the American Idol contest or it's management. I am trying to point out that sometimes our opinion of an entire general subject can color our opinion of any particular subset or smaller part of that subject.

Therefore, if something is weighed on the scale of black vs white, and comes out 82% black (negative) and 18% white (positive), it does not automatically mean that any/all smaller parts of the whole will be black, or should automatically assumed to be black. (negative).
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Ryan said.....

"Isn't it just personal preference and association based upon experience and understanding that makes us lean towards one shade or another when considering anything?"

One would hope that the objective facts of the matter and considering the evidence would also have some bearing on how a subject is "shaded".
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm

GenerousGeorge wrote:...At the risk of "beating a dead horse", take for example the comments of the judge to the girl singing in American Idol.

You write "at the risk of beating a dead horse", like that would make beating a dead horse ok if you have an awareness that you are doing it?
I disagree.
If you reply to a topic, please address the topic specifically. Examples are great, but George, you have been spreading the American Idol talk across several topics and that has got to stop at some point.If you have more to say about that, then do that where the talk has already been started, or better yet, start a new topic on American Idol specifically, if you feel you have more to say about it.

If someone is to reply to your post here, then they would have to beat the dead horse with you, and that is crazy. It is also highly non-productive, as well as confusing.
Other members would then have to get leaflets as to what all topics to get informed on in order to be able to follow this one.

All the above is also the reason why I decreased your kudos.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Spirited Debate