Beliefs and Acceptance

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Beliefs

Postby Randall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 pm

tell ya what ryan... you go back and re-read my posts from this thread and if you still have the same opinion then we have reached an empass as I am totally unable to communicate with you clearly in this.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Randall wrote:When I wrote that post that disappeared a few times... taking a person from childhood on... it was meant to be an example of what I was trying to share... not the totality of it. How we come by our beliefs is very diverse and often there are nuances to them we don't even know about consciously. Several things come to bear in how and why is my answer.

Randall,

So let me see if I understood what you are trying to say here.

We can get to our beliefs through different ways, and from different sources, but our beliefs are always based on a need to be accepted?

That's the first question.
The second question is, can you please tell me what beliefs are for you? Explain only beliefs, not what they are based on. So if possible without using the acceptance/rejection factor at all.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Randall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

We can get to our beliefs through different ways, and from different sources, but our beliefs are always based on a need to be accepted?
yes I do.

I'll try another way of sharing why.

ac·cept·ance   [ak-sep-tuhns] Show IPA
–noun
the act of taking or receiving something offered.
favorable reception; approval; favor.
the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.
the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.
acceptation (def. 1).

be·lief   [bih-leef] Show IPA
–noun
something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

:) and I accept these definitions
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Thank you. :)
If possible, can we focus on the first two definitions of the word "belief"? Or better yet, only the first:
something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
I think it could be beneficial to creating more clarity.

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Randall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:44 pm

absolutely Sabina
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Leahann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Good Morning Mirjana (Morning for me at least =0D )

Can you imagine yourself to be a huge opponent of a certain idea that seems so not true to you and based on such a personal belief somebody else's beliefs and such a person lose their credibility in your eyes. And then it happens that this opposing idea turns out to be true, becoming a knowledge. How would you then behave in relation to the person who you had discredited before?

This happens on a regular basis...at least in my life experience...and at first it is hard to grasp and understand how something we are so convicted of can not actually be proven out or that in some fashion is proven not real.

When this occurs one needs to be open to the facts of the matter and the belief then becomes null and void based on the information at hand.

We base our beliefs on our personal experiences, so with our limited understandings at any given time we believe in a thing until proven otherwise and even then we often get so caught up in these beliefs that even when proven wrong we can not accept the facts that have come to light...we refuse to see them.

I am a firm believer in examining our beliefs on a regular basis and consider all new information, even if not accurate to see if our belief stands up...and I'm also able to say that at times I can not see the relevance to new information...and often do not see...so my belief will remain in tact until I can see...if that makes sense.

To understand where our beliefs come from is a key to growth, and finding ourselves in the truest sense.

All beliefs whether tangible or a belief of faith are processed through our emotions on a subconscious level for the most part...every choice we make in life comes from a series of processes mostly based in the subconscious where our experiences have created an emotional base line in which our decisions are made.

When we discover new information...which happens on a daily basis...even when we are not aware of it, we are adding to the subconscious and the subconscious process will disregard the information or accept it based on our emotional understanding.

It is bringing these things to the conscious mind and examining them in that manner that we are able to change or understand at a deeper level...or higher level, and it is in our conscious convictions that we can program or reprogram these emotional responses that bring us to a belief that perhaps is inaccurate and based on false evidence or simply a lack of knowledge.

The example of the earth being flat was a long held belief by many people for many years based on limited information and experience.

When it was discovered that indeed the earth was not flat, based on a new experience by others it was very hard to convince the mass's of this truth until the evidence was so overwhelming to this fact and many more people experienced it.

OK...there is more obviously...and I'm sure I've repeated some things...but I do think it is important to truly examine our belief systems from a standpoint of where do our beliefs originate from.

Peace

Leahann
Leahann

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 2

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Hello Leahann,

Leahann wrote:I am a firm believer in examining our beliefs on a regular basis and consider all new information, even if not accurate to see if our belief stands up...and I'm also able to say that at times I can not see the relevance to new information...and often do not see...so my belief will remain in tact until I can see...if that makes sense.

Of course that makes sense. I believe this is the one thing we all here have in common. =0)
Actually, the extra-ordinarily long talk on this particular topic is a nice illustration of our openness and willingness to embark on this journey. :)

Sabina
Sabina

Postby Leahann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:17 pm

:) Yes...I think it is important...also I find that there is always something to look at or discover when one has a very passionate reaction to ideas... ;0)

Leahann
Leahann

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Yes Leahann, I agree with you completely. ;0)

Sabina
Sabina

Postby Leahann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm

:)...somehow I thought you might...you have a nice site here...very well achieved.

Leahann
Leahann

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate