Beliefs and Acceptance

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Beliefs

Postby Randall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm

P.S.

Goerge, there is a lot of truth to genetic memory and you never can rule out information that comes from spirit and still it can come from empathy...

When I wrote that post that disappeared a few times... taking a person from childhood on... it was meant to be an example of what I was trying to share... not the totality of it. How we come by our beliefs is very diverse and often there are nuances to them we don't even know about consciously. Several things come to bear in how and why is my answer.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 pm

I have been following this talk with great attention. The whole topic turned into another direction because of Randall's statement that beliefs and acceptance are connected. He thinks they are, Sabina and Ryan don't. George came with very valuable contribution when talking about importance of our interference as a total humanity with everything that belong to that, not only chosen things we considered as good, or those we like or that are close to us. Because those which are not, sometimes help us even more to shape our personality and answer some important personal question about self speeding our growth.
My beliefs about beliefs
I do not believe that any of our beliefs is something which is or has not been influenced from others. Emotions form our beliefs and emotions are connected with our connection with other people and our experiences developed over the life.
Beliefs are not fixed facts as how tall we are or what color are our eyes. Our beliefs change over time. What change them are our experiences. One of the most beautiful illustrations for that in literature is the novel "Les Miserables" from Victor Hugo. They can change in the direction to become positive or negative in regard to our initial belief, but in both cases it is based on that how life influenced us. Life is connected with people, we are not alone, again interaction.
Acceptance of our beliefs is one of things that direct the way we build and develop close relationships. It is easier to be with people who have the same or very close beliefs to ours as it is easier to understand each other. Understanding leads to deeper sharing and bonding and opens the door to love. Love is not possible with rejection. And the opposite of rejection is acceptance. Therefore, without acceptance there is no love.
I wouldn’t believe anybody who would say not to need love and to be loved. It is so much the strongest human need that the opposite would only prove a big disorder. It means that on some deeper level, not necessarily recognized from the outside, our beliefs are connected with acceptance.
Sometimes our beliefs that are opposing to the common beliefs around us (especially during the late childhood or teenage) make us special, interesting, attractive, rebellion, respectful by those who do not have them and through that we get some place that nurtures our emotional world with this kind of acceptance.
I would believe everybody who says that beliefs are not connected with acceptance only if the person could prove to self and me that s/he is indifferent toward life and people. Only then when one is completely emotionally detached, something like that would be possible. The fact that we care forms our beliefs.
Emotions, care, beliefs and acceptance/rejection are very much connected.
Of course, the whole I said is connected with that what I consider under the word acceptance. Maybe we have different understanding of that word.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Having read some of the posts, im not confused, im merely baffled.
Acceptance is important to anybody at any stage in life, however each of us has a connection to Universal Truth, and this tells us if we choose to ask, what is right action. In a situation we may choose acceptance rather than the path of right action- if they are conflicted.

What happens then is inside we face the consequences of our choice, if we choose to go against right action we feel it and are not happy.

If we choose right action even with loss of acceptance as a consequence, we grow and feel self acceptance, which is actually more important than outward acceptance.

Beliefs are simply what we understand with the experience / information we posess, and can change as we grow.

Personally i wouldnt put too much store by the idea that Beliefs are influenced by an overwhelming need to be accepted, that contributes to herd mentality and comes mainly from non - conscious thinking, As such they would be second hand beliefs, not ones own and therefore not a 'belief'?

Clear as mud?

good....

dermot.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Randall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

In the end, it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree...

Asking ourselves where our beliefs come from is a worthy exercise as I have experienced and seen how it can go a long way toward self realization and also healing of past emotional and psychological wounds. Often we stop short and don't keep peeling that onion for what ever reason. The deeper we journey into our "why's" the deeper our understanding of self and the clearer our purpose becomes.

LOL that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;0)
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby mirjana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Randall wrote:In the end, it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree...

Asking ourselves where our beliefs come from is a worthy exercise as I have experienced and seen how it can go a long way toward self realization and also healing of past emotional and psychological wounds. Often we stop short and don't keep peeling that onion for what ever reason. The deeper we journey into our "why's" the deeper our understanding of self and the clearer our purpose becomes.

LOL that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;0)

This has been my experience as well.
Peeling effects in order to come to the causes is worth our efforts in any aspects of life. Beliefs are very supportive for this kind of work and bring amazing results, far different from the starting point.
I would connect it with the primary curiosity of the child who is never satisfied with the answer to the first question and always asks "why". Until reaching the void, with no questions and answers, we have a certain emotional charge that forms our beliefs. It can be connected with our soul from the previous lives, (like Dermot said), but still, again there are recorded memories connected with the experiences (beliefs) from those previous lives. That is actually the very core. But this very core also has emotional charge which triggered the whole process of reactions, with beliefs as one of them manifested in this life.
As we are energy and vibrations, only by following our music backwards we shall come to the very first note of our music.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 pm

=0o ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! 80S
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Randall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Do that again George! That was cool.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Randall wrote:only your own Ryan... you wouldn't have it otherwise.

And this is what I was afraid of... I stated this all within my very first post expressing my confusion on the matter. It's like looking at my finger and saying I don't accept you... what am I supposed to do now if I don't want to accept my finger? Cut it off? It is kind of silly to entertain that idea as a valid approach to your being. So, in your opinion suicide is the only true display of a total lack of a need to be accepted?

It is a nice piece of philosophy but I do not find it to be applicable to anything in any way.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Randall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Ryan... I'm not stating any of that... you want to find something wrong with what I've said... and you can if you would like... but you have totally missed what was being shared.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

But you are... you leave no room for anything else... an equivalent would be if I said:

"Your usage of air is proof of your dependency upon others or something other than your self."

I think... and because I think and have thoughts about something I have the need to be accepted in the very least by myself??
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate