Beliefs and Acceptance

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Beliefs

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Randall wrote:Our deep need to be “right” comes from this period in our lives because to be right means to be accepted.

I don't think being right means being accepted. Being a sheep very often means being accepted as well, and that has nothing to do with being right or wrong.

“Our most basic need and desire from the time we are born till the day we die... is communication. To be heard. To be understood. To hear. To understand. We have lived and died for this and we still do, each and every one of us.”

Then why do I sometimes have the urge to seclude myself? To leave humankind and live in a cave? Or on a mountain? Or on a deserted island? Or somewhere else where no one will ever find me?
Being understood is sublime... BUT, if I am not, oh well... all I can do is my best in describing how I feel and what I think. Nobody has to believe me or trust my beliefs. I don't need to convince anyone that I am "right". They are free to have their own beliefs, and they are also free to think that I am crazy if they wish to do so, and that isn't going to make me want to fit into their belief systems.
I have always felt the truth, my whole life. It has nothing to do with a matter of survival, or acceptance from others.
It is much easier to be accepted if you just believe whatever everyone else believes, but that doesn't change things for me. What I feel, and have always felt, is so strong that I don't care whether it is convenient to have these beliefs.

It sounds like you are trying to explain that our beliefs basically have to do with acceptance and rejection, and that may be the case for some people, but as we were talking about our own beliefs, I can only say that it was never about being accepted.
If it was about that, I would have different beliefs than I do now.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Soooo Sabina, if you had lived in a cave as a hermit all your life, would your beliefs be the same as they are now? How would they develop in isolation> <3
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:08 pm

George,

That's exactly what I'm trying to say, that my beliefs did not come from "outside", from society, from any external source.
So in that sense.. whether I live in a cave, or some other place, I believe that we are connected to something outside of us, and I believe that if you feel this connection, then you get answers to some questions, regardless of your residence. :)
Hence, you don't need any preacher or teacher to "explain" it to you.

Sabina

PS: My occasional urge for the symbolic cave is probably my variation of expressing tiredness with people who don't think for themselves. A part of me sees this urge to leave as giving up though. As I don't live in a cave, I obviously haven't "given up" - yet. :)

PS²: I just jad another thought. I guess I never wanted to be an elephant marching in a parade. :))
That dream was my nightmare when I was very very little... its manifestation may have changed as I grew older, but its symbolism has not.
I did not fit in from the start. I was neither an elephant nor a faceless observer. But, not fitting in didn't make me change just so I'm "accepted". Of course I wanted to be accepted, but not at any cost.
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Yes, I understand and agree. There is a lot of truth to that and I realize that you don't really want to hide out in a cave forever. A beautiful rose needs sunshine to grow. <3

I also believe that "God" speaks to us through other people. This is expecially true for me when they are honestly sharing their experience, strength and hopes about their daily struggle on this journey. <3
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Randall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:50 pm

It sounds like you are trying to explain that our beliefs basically have to do with acceptance and rejection, and that may be the case for some people, but as we were talking about our own beliefs, I can only say that it was never about being accepted.
If it was about that, I would have different beliefs than I do now.

I understand Sabina, but if you had different beliefs than the ones you have now, would you accept yourself?
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Randall,

That question doesn't make sense to me.
If I had different beliefs than I do now I would probably not be me.
Now if you asked me if I would accept someone else who has different beliefs than me, then the answer would be - absolutely!

Sabina
Sabina

Postby Randall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

:) exactly... you have the beliefs you have so you can accept you. Isn't that true?
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm

No, not at all.
I just explained that for me beliefs and acceptance are not connected at all.
I said I would accept other people regardless of their beliefs.
So... I don't need to have these beliefs in order to "accept myself".
Same as I can accept other people with their beliefs, I could also accept myself if my beliefs were different, theoretically speaking.
You connected this need for acceptance and fear of rejection with other people as well, and I replied to that. Acceptance and beliefs are for me not connected in the slightest.

Sabina
Sabina

Postby Randall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm

:) If you can show me how that's possible I'm willing to listen
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Play nice children...... BWAHAHAHAHAHA! =0@