Beliefs and Acceptance

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Beliefs and Acceptance

Postby Randall » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:17 pm

I was reading through the Beliefs thread and thought we might be able to take it in a different direction.

Why do you suppose we CHOOSE the beliefs we hold? Lets peel the onion a little.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Re: Beliefs

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Randall,
Your question reminds me of Pat's question a while back about Choices. =0)

Personally, I have felt certain things very early in my life, and it just happens that these feelings or knowledge were not "inflicted" upon me, but grew out of me. My beliefs grew out of these "feelings", however calling them feelings may be confusing as well.

Sabina

PS: Peeling the onion is always a good idea, but I just had the thought that with the onion, you eventually get to the end of it. With some things I am not sure there can be an ending in that sense. None the less, let's peel. :)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Randall » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 pm

((((sabina))))) thank you

I took a peek into the "choices" thread and to shift it from where its at seems like a detriment, so I hope its ok here. They actually tie into each other quite nicely though :)

I believe we choose our beliefs from emotion. We choose them based on either some idea of pleasurable gain or the fear of pain. I can't see any other reason we hold them. And people change their beliefs for the same reason, either it became too painful or they found something more pleasurable.

We can rationalize anything from that stand point.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 pm

You believe we choose our beliefs from emotion, or you don't believe we choose our beliefs from emotion?
I just want to make sure.

And what do you mean that we change our beliefs?
I am trying to picture it, but I don't see that choices are being made, or should be made based on criteria like gain or fear.
But, I am listening.. if you care to explain. :)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Sabina & Randal,

Following your thoughts I would only add that I think we do not choose our beliefs from emotions, but our emotions form our beliefs. So, when it happens that we balance or work out our emotions, when this happens we also balance our beliefs so that they become not attachments but experiential description of emotions.

Mirjana
=0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Randall » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 pm

hahaha... Ok ... a confirmation that I have more to write... this is the second time I've tried to post and it disappeared. I'll do some more writing and post soon. =0@

While I re-write my post... see what you think of this piece.

מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby Ryan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 am

Very nice and Motivational!
#80o
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 am

Hey.....it's not so ethereal! 80S We develop our beliefs on what we selfishly want. Whatever beliefs it takes to justify you getting where you want to be or what you think you want, no matter how we get it is only a matter of juggling the facts and conclusions.

You can justify any kind of belief, no matter how bizzare they might be in that way. And.........once the beliefs are entrenched, they become your reality. Virgin births, talking snakes, winged horses, 76 virgins in heaven......there is no limit. Soooooo..... how valid can beliefs be beyond justifications we manufacture for our own benefit???? =0X

The more important question to me is how we (the human race) come to such bizzare beliefs and then kill each other over whose belief is most valid.

In my own personal search to remove the BS facade I have built up to fool myself with over a lifetime it is a matter of being able to let go of ego, fight for clarity, self honesty and truth without being affected by the myriad of "I wants and I need" compulsions that bombard me and divert my attention from developing beliefs that mean something, beliefs that are in some way grounded to some elemental truths that for me are so elusive. =0/

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! =0@
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Randall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:44 am

I just spent an hour re-writing what I had before and all I had to do is wait for George and say, "YA! What he said!" hahaha

Oh well, I might as well go ahead and post LOL
__3__
At the core of all things is a need to be accepted. Accepted by those we love, Accepted by self.
It’s an emotional need and it’s something we come into this world with as a part of our need to communicate. We come into this world with out words, with out preconceived ideas or thoughts of what is right or wrong. We come with a mind and a heart, with a body and a soul. Our learning of all things is so we might communicate what is in our hearts first. The baby only feels in the beginning, feels emotions and physical sensations then seeks to communicate them.

This is all our beginning.

From here we learn what is acceptable by those whom we are surrounded by. We also learn what is un-acceptable. Through acceptance we learn how we can communicate with greater effect and by learning what is acceptable and then what is un-acceptable we start to formulate what is “RIGHT” and what is “WRONG”. Our deep need to be “right” comes from this period in our lives because to be right means to be accepted.

Through out this entire learning process it is still our emotions that drive us, our emotions that dictate our choices.

“Our most basic need and desire from the time we are born till the day we die... is communication. To be heard. To be understood. To hear. To understand. We have lived and died for this and we still do, each and every one of us.”

“We are broken and less than when we don’t have these things in our lives. When we are denied an outlet, when we feel as though we are not heard, when we feel we are not loved, the need becomes so profound that some will reach for anything to be heard. Many seek control or power over others because that need is so strong. “

It’s through the communication we receive from others that we begin the process of hard-wiring our beliefs. As our ego develops, it works as a filter for everything we experience. Right and wrong become our daily bread. Our society begins to shape us and shift us. We are taught that emotions are a handicap. We are taught that love hurts. We are taught not to be different or face criticism and rejection. We are also taught the opposites of these things, all to a greater or lesser degree as we grow and learn.

Still, we search through out our growth for acceptance from self and from those we love as well as the society in which we live. Acceptance means love, it means we are being embraced, but most of all it begins to mean we are right and if we are right we are worthy of what we long for.

We are making choices in how to act and what to believe based on an emotional desire. Fear by this time has become a great teacher. We don’t like it. We shun it. We make decisions and base beliefs because of it.

We are also making decisions and choices based on the need to feel loved, accepted and these also begin to create our belief systems.

By the time we become young adults the whole scheme work of our personality has solidified into a normal operating procedure. We have a clear belief in right and wrong, of what means acceptance and what means rejection. From here we go through the process of empowering those beliefs through our rose colored glasses of right and wrong, reinforcing and justifying them.

What about the person that believes they are unloveable? If you look deep enough, you will find how it empowers them. Its usually complicated and very enter twined with in them.
Our negative beliefs empower us in one way or another on an emotional level. If they didn’t empower us, we wouldn’t keep it.

The same can be said of all our positive beliefs.
Its all emotional.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:56 am

Maybe the basic building blocks of existance are emotional and we have to try and puzzle that out here in our reality? B0)
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Next

Return to Spirited Debate