Balancing the Opposites

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Re: Balancing the Opposites

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

You're welcome Mirjana. =0)
As for the whole extrovert/introvert question, I definitely am in the middle on that... each and every time. So I may also be a ENFJ then? Maybe I should check that description in a little more depth...
I just did, and they have a problem making decisions, whereas for me it is not a problem at all.

Daywhite, I had a look at the page you suggested... I also went to the Relationships page for the INFJ. Here are their strengths and weaknesses and my comments in red.

INFJ Strengths
* Warm and affirming by nature - Ok
* Dedicated to achieving the ultimate relationship - Yes
* Sensitive and concerned for others' feelings - Yes
* Usually have good communication skills, especially written - Yes, isn't it obvious? lol
* Take their commitments very seriously, and seek lifelong relationships - This is a difficult one to answer... I would say not at any expense.
* Have very high expectations for themselves and others (both a strength and weakness) - See below, under weaknesses
* Good listeners - Yes
* Are able to move on after a relationship has ended (once they're sure it's over) - Yes

INFJ Weaknesses
* Tendency to hold back part of themselves - No,I don't. Not in the slightest..
* Not good with money or practical day-to-day life necessities - This may fit... unfortunately.
* Extreme dislike of conflict and criticism - Not true at all. Conflict can be rejuvenating... and often helps to overcome something for good, as well as create clarity. Criticism... I don't have a problem receiving nor giving.
* Have very high expectations for themselves and others (both a strength and weakness) - Used to be so, but I have worked on modifying this... Now I have very high expectations of myself and my partner, everything else is negotiable.
* Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship - Nope... not a difficulty at all...!

80| To me that just looks like too many No's.
As for psychology... did you read my introduction in the up close & personal forum? :)
I mentioned psychology because it was always important and fascinating for me, to me..
I started figuring out the puzzle that is myself very early on in life. It has been helpful.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Daywhite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 pm

What can I say? Not an exact science. Could be you're growing, transitioning, from one to another. I don't know. I simply enjoy exploring them, exploring myself.

I think starting to figure out the puzzle that is you, or simply to realize there is a puzzle to figure out, is very telling as far as personality. I've done the same, but many never do, and seem to live happy lives =0/ I remember a writer, can't remember exactly who, was a female, but anyway, she said something along the lines of, "Some people are able to go all day, even weeks, without writing, and aren't bothered by it in the least." Point being, she couldn't imagine that, one, that someone could go without writing, but, two, that they could do so and not even feel bad about it. That's kind of how writing and simply pursuing some type of knowledge are to me. There are people who have no interest in doing either. I don't understand that, but I think that is what lets me know I am doing what is right for me.

Okay, touch longer explanation, hopefully clarifying. When I was a kid, I loved American football. And, no, trust me, love is not too strong of a word. I loved it so much that I couldn't imagine anyone, male, female, young, old, not wanting to play it, to watch it. I felt sorry for a good friend when he said he wanted to be a chemist when he grew up. I thought, "Man, he doesn't think he's good enough at football to make it to the pros." It baffled me that anyone would want to do anything else. I felt sorry for girls because, although they could play with us on occasion in pick-up games or something, females were not allowed in the pros. What could they possibly strive for, dream of, knowing they would never play pro football when they grew up.

I grew out of that, a bit. I had always loved writing along with football, and, as I got older, my passion switched, from football to writing.

I've traveled a bit, all around the country, and bits of the world. The first time I saw the northern coast of California, I couldn't believe that people actually lived there, or even near there. It was beautiful, truly inspiring awe. It, to me, seemed, and still does, the most beautiful place on earth. I couldn't believe that everyone wouldn't want to be there, to live there. Why? There's nothing like this!!

Point of all of that being to say that that is when I know I'm doing what is right for me. When I can't understand why everyone doesn't love it, want it, as much as I do. That's what I want in life. I want to be in a relationship, but only with someone who I can't imagine everyone loving and wanting. (Believe it or not, this truly has nothing to do with some physically beautiful model type or whatever; it's all in the feeling). I want a job that I can't understand why everyone doesn't want to do that. That, that feeling, is when I know I am in the right thing, the right place, the right person, etc.

Thought about deleting all of that; not sure it has anything to do with my original point. But, I'll leave it. I think you'll understand.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Well, I'm really glad you didn't delete it!

I have definitely always enjoyed exploring myself (me), just as I enjoy exploring other people, environments,... everything. I like exploring and discovering.
Being that I like to discover (and not only to explore), and being that I have always been fascinated with psychology, I understand and for the most part love these differences between people.. I don't think we should all be the same and have the same desires... while that would possibly result in a more perfect society, it would probably also be more boring, hence less perfect.
But, enough about me....
Let's dissect someone else. Any volunteers? B0)
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I just made a personality test which said that I am a "Spontaneous Idealist". According to MBTI the results were in the ENFP range.

The description is:
Enthusiastic, idealistic and creative. Able to do almost anything that interests them. Great people skills. Need to live life in accordance with their inner values. Excited by new ideas, but bored with details. Open-minded and flexible, with a broad range of interests and abilities.

Without going into further depth, it fits. Sometimes when the description is made to be more detailed, that is where it begins to lose accuracy. But the above kept it sweet and short.

You can do your test here: 41 Questions
Sabina

Postby Ryan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:57 pm

My results were as follows:
41q.com wrote:

Your personality type: "Spontaneous Idealist"

Enthusiastic, idealistic and creative. Able to do almost anything that interests them. Great people skills. Need to live life in accordance with their inner values. Excited by new ideas, but bored with details. Open-minded and flexible, with a broad range of interests and abilities.

On the balance graph:
41q.com wrote:
Extrovert / Introvert
Sensing / Intuitive
Thinking / Feeling
Judging / Percieving
= 1 below balanced
= 1 above balanced
= 1 above balanced
= 3 above balanced
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby dermot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Your personality type: "Dreamy Idealist"

Quiet, reflective and idealistic. Interested in serving humanity. Well-developed value system, which they strive to live in accordance with. Extremely loyal. Adaptable and laid-back unless a strongly-held value is threatened. Usually talented writers. Mentally quick and able to see possibilities. Interested in understanding and helping people.

Careers that could fit you include:

Writers, artists, counselors, social workers, English teachers, fine arts teachers, child care workers, clergy, missionaries, psychologists, psychiatrists, scientists, political activists, editors, education consultants, journalists, religious educators, social scientists.

Balance Graph

Extrover/intovert 3above balanced
Sensing/intuitive 7above balanced
Thinking/feeling 3above balanced
Judging/percieving 1above balanced

I was pretty happy with the outcome...but it is 'unbalanced',...who needs balance anyway!
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Postby Metatron » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Quiet, reflective and idealistic. Interested in serving humanity. Well-developed value system, which they strive to live in accordance with. Extremely loyal. Adaptable and laid-back unless a strongly-held value is threatened. Usually talented writers. Mentally quick and able to see possibilities. Interested in understanding and helping people.

Extrover/intovert 5above balanced
Sensing/intuitive 9above balanced
Thinking/feeling 3above balanced
Judging/percieving 5above balanced

Quite accurate :)
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby mirjana » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:08 am

Your personality type: "Engaged Idealist"

Popular and sensitive, with outstanding people skills. Externally focused, with real concern for how others think and feel. Usually dislike being alone. They see everything from the human angle and dislike impersonal analysis. Very effective at managing people issues and leading group discussions. Interested in serving others and probably place the needs of others over their own needs.

Teachers, consultants, psychiatrists, social workers, counselors, clergy, sales representatives, human resources, managers, events coordinators, politicians, diplomats, writers, actors, designers, homemakers, musicians, religious workers.

Balance Graph

Extrovert/Introvert 5 below the balance
Sensing/Intuitive 1 above the balance
Thinking/Feeling 5 above the balance
Judging/Perceiving 3 below the balance

Quite occurate 80S
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Daywhite » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 am

Writers, artists, counselors, social workers, English teachers, fine arts teachers, child care workers, clergy, missionaries, psychologists, psychiatrists, scientists, political activists, editors, education consultants, journalists, religious educators, social scientists.

Extrovert / Introvert = 1 above balanced
Sensing / Intuitive = 7 above balanced
Thinking / Feeling = 1 above balanced
Judging / Percieving = 5 above balanced

(assuming above is to the right and below to the left)

Very much INFP. No surprise.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 am

I was quite confused that everyone here, so far, is some sort of idealist based on this test.
So, I went back there and answered all the questions again, but differently than before, and idealist is indeed not the only option.

So it's just a "coincidence".

;0)

<3
    =0o
=0)
Sabina

Previous

Return to Psychology