Ashes & Snow

Paintings, photography, graphics and other visual arts.

Ashes & Snow

Postby HGolightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm

One of my favorite artists: Gregory Colbert, who uses both still and movie cameras to explore extraordinary interactions between humans and animals.

The exhibit, Ashes and Snow launched in Italy back in 2002, and ended in Mexico, in 2008. Ashes and Snow, which consisted of over 50 large-scale photographic artworks, a 60-minute film, and two 9-minute film haikus.

In Colbert's own words: “In exploring the shared language and poetic sensibilities of all animals, I am working towards rediscovering the common ground that once existed when people lived in harmony with animals. The images depict a world that is without beginning or end, here or there, past or present.” —Gregory Colbert, Creator of Ashes and Snow

“The power of the images... is eternal and sacred, ” (Architectural Digest).

The following excerpt entitled "Feather to Fire", is narrated in three languages by Laurence Fishburne (English), Ken Watanabe (Japanese), and Enrique Rocha (Spanish). I had posted this cinematic imagery under melancholy music.

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with Colbert's work. I would like to encourage you to explore his vision at "http://www.ashesandsnow.org/", click on "Enhanced Experience", then on "Explore", and the beautiful artistic journey begins through the vision of this one artist. (A definite favorite of mine). And, if you have time read his entire Portfolio, Vision, etc. here "http://www.ashesandsnow.org/en/home.php"

"Colbert continues his expeditions and the development of Ashes and Snow".
<3
HGolightly

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Re: Ashes & Snow

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Holly, thank you for this moment of pure beauty. <3
When somebody dedicates his life to the harmony between living creatures on this planet, like he does, I feel great respect and a kind of deep primary excitement that happens when we meet the truth and feel it like that.
What an artist:
“When I started Ashes and Snow in 1992, I set out to explore the relationship between man and animals from the inside out. In discovering the shared language and poetic sensibilities of all animals, I am working towards restoring the common ground that once existed when people lived in harmony with animals.”
Gregory Colbert
These words are the expression of my life dream. By calling animals as "Natur's living masterpeace"
he entered into my heart.
[Pd]
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm

=0/ Aren't we all nature's living masterpiece(s)?

Wonderful addition Holly!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Daywhite » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Holly, I am a huge fan of the full Ashes and Snow collection, the videos, the still pics, the music, all of it. I share here one of my all-time favorite pictures. This picture, from the first time I saw it, has always touched something deep within me. It, as with the entire exhibit, has soul. Thanks for starting this subject.

"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Return to Visual Arts