Arithmomancy Isopsephy Gematria

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Arithmomancy Isopsephy Gematria

Postby Sabina » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm

For those of you interested in numerology, mysticism and/or numbers, the following may be interesting.

Arithmomancy
Arithmomancy, also called arithmancy, from the Greek arithmos (“number”) and manteia (“divination”), was practiced by the ancient Greeks, Chaldeans, and Hebrews; its successor is numerology.

"Divination by means of numbers. The Greeks examined the number and value of the letters in the names of two combatants, and predicted that he whose name contained most letters, or letters of the greatest value, would be the victor." -- Encyc. Occult, L. Spence, 1920

Arithmomancy is the interpretation by means of numbers, or divination by means of numbers. The Pythagoreans and Plato used the numerical key in theogony and cosmogony, based on the science of correspondences as prevailing among gods, men, and numbers or numerical quantities. Hence, the numerical key to nature can be used as the basis of various methods of divination for the discovery of truth or error.

In modern numerological terminology, arithmancy is a simplified version of ancient Greek Isopsephy or Hebrew/Aramaic Gematria, as adapted to the Latin alphabet.

Isopsephy (pronounced /ˈaɪsəsɛfi/; from isos meaning "equal" and psephos meaning "pebble") is the Greek word for the practice of adding up the number values of the letters in a word to form a single number. The early Greeks used pebbles arranged in patterns to learn arithmetic and geometry.

Isopsephy is related to Gematria, the same practice using the Hebrew alphabet, and the ancient number systems of many other peoples (for the Arabic alphabet version, see Abjad numerals).
A Gematria of Latin-script languages was also popular in Europe from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance and indeed its legacy remains in numerology and Masonic symbolism today.
Here is a simple English gematria calculator.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Arithmomancy Isopsephy Gematria

Postby mirjana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I do not know for others, but for me it has been very interesting and valuable information. I do not know how I have missed to read it before. It is a nice touch of history of numetology in depth.
Thank you Sabina.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Mysticism