An Afternoon with a Great Mind

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Re: An Afternoon with a Great Mind

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Of course, Alvino, and I know that. It was playing with words I tried in order to get the same point. 80S
But, I would be so grateful to have not only the whole afternoon, but even much shorter time. Being with such people would illuminated soul in the way that we can not imagine, changing it forever...
Beautiful thought, isn´t it?

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Alvino wrote:ps my third choice would be OMAR THE TENTMAKER.

Omar Khayyam?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Mark Twain......I liked his irreverance of religion and the way he marched to the beat of a "different drummer". His sense of humour always appealed to me as well.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 am

Mark Twain had an awesome sense of humor!
To dress wisdom in humor, as he did, is a very special talent, in my opinion.
Well, sometimes it was wisdom, sometimes it was things to make you think, and sometimes it was just funny and nothing else.

Here are a few of his quotes, as an example, bound to make you feel better, however you feel at the moment.

__4__

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."

"Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often."

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

"All generalizations are false, including this one."

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education."

"I can live for two months on a good compliment."

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."

"Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. "

__4__

And on and on it goes, but I'll stop now.
He was great.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: How to live an inner fire?

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

When I mentioned my passion for Gurdjieff sacred dances I haven´t explained my reasons. I love music and dance, and when music and dance are united in the form of movements which harmonize left and right brain hemisphere, then one sings, dance, meditate and transcend time and space.
I know that there are other forms of movements that achieve the same trance/ritual effect and it would be great to have them here as more possible.

Mirjana

One of Gurdjieff Sacred dances, The value of Notes

Gurdjieff Sacred Dance - Pythagoras 4

"Given very precisely by Gurdjieff as a powerful tool for growth, the practice of movements creates exceptional conditions for transforming the body –machine into a place where the forces of intelligence, heart, and action can freely expand, through the development of a certain quality of attention and relaxation."
mirjana

Postby ubermensch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm

im going to have to come much closer to my time period than did the other users . this may be outside the comfort zone of some mentalities here but i would choose adolf hitler . i am not so sure we have gotten the full story on him . he may very well be the most misrepresented man in history . he was after all a vegetarian, a terribly romantic figure ( judging from his last act on earth to get married to his lover) concerned about the environment passing laws to protect animals and prevent pollution. , a very mystical figure speaking with gurus and studying jhana yoga . i would want to know how he and his group of friends sat down and moved from saving Germany to world domination and if that was his intention . there would of course be specific questions posed about the holocaust , to see if holocaust revisionism is warranted. was he trying to install a new type of religious culture , if so what was he envisioning . one that has always bothered me is , who is so powerful in switzerland that he didnt just march in and rob all the banks , but yet this is where he deposited gold he misappropriated . the excuses that historians give for him not invading are absolutely incredulous . if this offended anyone i do apologize, but we are living in an age where the information disseminated must be looked at with a very watchful and skeptical eye ... a cagey mind is needed in a cage abundant society , especially when questioning a historical event ... =0X
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Postby peaceandlovegirl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Wow, when I first read the question I thought "no problem that's easy. I would choose Gandhi....no Buddha...no John Lennon....no definitely Jesus...or maybe Thoreau". This is such a difficult question because there are so many amazing people who have changed the world and I have to pick one?

So after much thought, I think I would pick Jesus. Whether or not you believe He was the son of God, I think most people can agree that he was loving and peaceful. There are so many things I would ask. Plus it would be a fun conversation because if I think of an enjoyable conversation I think of talking to a calm person who doesn't get offended, doesn't attack me, is patient, looks me in the eye and pays full attention to what I say. So I'm guessing that Jesus would easily fit that description since he was supposed to be perfect and all.
peaceandlovegirl

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: The Scarlet Letter
Favorite movie: V for Vendetta
Things I like: Studying other beliefs and religions from my own, listening to classic rock, having conversations with people, discussing religion and politics.
I love watching really good movies like Fight Club, Across The Universe, No Country For Old Men, Taxi Driver, V For Vendetta and Let the Right One In.
I'm an artist, a pacifist, a patriotic American, an anarchist, a hippie and a christian.
I am obsessed with The Beatles.
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 0

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 pm

peaceandlovegirl wrote:...I think of talking to a calm person who doesn't get offended, doesn't attack me, is patient, looks me in the eye and pays full attention to what I say. So I'm guessing that Jesus would easily fit that description since he was supposed to be perfect and all.
well

I like this part regardless of the topic as it fits very well to the psychological description of that how we should address each other in order to show respect and love. But, as you said, it seems pretty perfect in comparison to that how people generally behave toward each other...unfortunately.
Does the meeting of a person behaving like this means meeting Jesus like person?
Do we make our choice according to that what we miss in life or would like to have the most?
mirjana

Postby Metatron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26 am

ubermensch wrote:im going to have to come much closer to my time period than did the other users . this may be outside the comfort zone of some mentalities here but i would choose adolf hitler . i am not so sure we have gotten the full story on him . he may very well be the most misrepresented man in history . he was after all a vegetarian, a terribly romantic figure ( judging from his last act on earth to get married to his lover) concerned about the environment passing laws to protect animals and prevent pollution. , a very mystical figure speaking with gurus and studying jhana yoga . i would want to know how he and his group of friends sat down and moved from saving Germany to world domination and if that was his intention . there would of course be specific questions posed about the holocaust , to see if holocaust revisionism is warranted. was he trying to install a new type of religious culture , if so what was he envisioning . one that has always bothered me is , who is so powerful in switzerland that he didnt just march in and rob all the banks , but yet this is where he deposited gold he misappropriated . the excuses that historians give for him not invading are absolutely incredulous . if this offended anyone i do apologize, but we are living in an age where the information disseminated must be looked at with a very watchful and skeptical eye ... a cagey mind is needed in a cage abundant society , especially when questioning a historical event ... =0X

I actually agree with you and I would also like to meet him. You're right, we should look at information with a "very watchful and skeptical" eye. I like rhetorics and come on, he's one of the greatest orators in the history (from the bunch that I know of). I sometimes think this world needs a leader of Hitler's caliber, someone who can make people do "great" things, with somewhat different goals that aren't oriented at genocide and the wellbeing of only one nation, but rather the whole of humanity.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Sunderland » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 am

I would like to spend a night with myself...no this isn't arrogance or egoism, hear me out.

Have you ever felt like the conditions of the experience you have pull a veil over your eyes? I would like to talk to the Me that is my soul, without the conditions my brain has held onto. In other words, a complete erase of memory besides the knowledge that I am here right now. And then I would sit down with that version of myself, the uninhibited, free spirit that I am, before my experiential conditioning. That version of myself would reconnect me to the source of things I may have unconsciously left behind.
Sunderland

Favorite book: The Dispossessed
Favorite movie: Braveheart
Things I like: stuff that entertains me
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Imagination Exercises