An Afternoon with a Great Mind

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Re: An Afternoon with a Great Mind

Postby dermot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi and welcome Sunderland, i understand what you mean and agree with it. In many ways i think thats what life is about, peeling away the onion layers that we took on consciously or unconsciously especially during childhood. To know the real you would be illuminating, trying to become it even periodically is a challenge that i believe can be achieved. Uncovering 'who we are' behind all the masks we wear would reveal the real essence of who we are . I think there are times when we recognise our true nature, what really makes us tick, and there is a real feeling of knowing when that happens. Have you ever walked away from a situation in which you really connected with your Truth?....you absolutely met yourself in that moment?
I think there is a part of us that is unchanging, that lies at our core, that observes, and can be accessed through meditation or just stillness. Connecting more often with this 'Unchanging Observer' will bring more awareness of who we are, and enable us to live with more happiness. It will also highlight when we are not being our true self, when we are playing roles or wearing masks. Its kind of sad we have to journey back to what we already are!
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi Sunderland,
Welcome to DS =0)
It is an interesting choice and i can imagine that it would be catharsis too.
I have some experience of that kind with Gnostic intensive , which is an alternate technique that helps you to empty your mind content about anything you chose to find your truth about it. I was working to find who I am, who is another human being, what is life, what is death, what/who is God and finally what is sound. All those were very powerful experiences followed by very strong catharsis. I can highly recommend it.
Besides, I like what Dermot answered you contemplating about this.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby anitagosain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 am

I would choose to be with Freud to further understand his theories....Especially his views on religion.
anitagosain

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Of human Bondage.
Favorite movie: My fair lady.
Things I like: Music, Books, trees, birds, children, Friends.
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby elephantman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

It seems I am two years behind in all this great discussions, an afternoon with a great mind, I will choose Jesus, because he is the one I have read a little about. From what the panel has picked I find my self far far behind in reading books of great minds. Why did I pick Jesus I find him original in many of his teaching. He was a divine messenger like all the others before him starting from Zoroaster.
elephantman

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Jane Ayre
Favorite movie: onion field
Things I like: Books, Music, the outdoors, friends, cooking, tennis, horses,
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic

Postby author64 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Ben Franklin, he has done so much in his life.

Good virtues, hard working, led and amazing life.
author64

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: University of Success Og Mandino
Favorite movie: Big Chill
Things I like: Knowledge
Open minds
Great Discussions
Inspiring others and being inspired
Learning about others
Travel

Postby MinervaFan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am

I believe I would like to spend a day talking with Eleanor Roosevelt. She was a hero of mine, a fierce crusader for just causes and social improvements. I think I would leave the encounter inspired, invigorated, and more determined than ever to leave the world a better place.
MinervaFan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Whatever is in my hand
Favorite movie: Whatever I am watching
Things I like: Learning new things, good food, good music, good conversation, beautiful sunsets, hot showers--the basics.

Previous

Return to Imagination Exercises