An Accidental Community

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Re: An Accidental Community

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 am

And while you two are talking about culling the herd my positive and affirmative comments went completely unnoticed.
Bah...!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 am

I think that our posts were in a more positive direction than yours...
=0o
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Daywhite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 am

Although 'tis true we may not be positive, I can actively affirm that we are pretty sure. And when you're on an island with some people better suited to shark bait, pretty sure will do just fine. Pass the fermented coconut milk rum, and let the games begin. B0)
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am

A little recapitulation
(I devided different posts of each of us, but left it within the quote of each, following the way it was written)

Sabina wrote:[centeralign]Imagine we all find ourselves on a large, rich, but deserted island.
No people, no rules, except for us...
There is fresh water on the island, and some wild life.
What would be the challenges of this situation?
---------------------------------------------------
Exploring the island would be fun as well.. I like exploring of all sorts, so this would be beautimous for me. Dermot says I would make music and ask the odd question.. that sounds good too..
Swimming every day would be wonderful...
[centeralign]And the evenings around the fire....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So... it seems to me that it is the giving up part that really makes it an incident, and not the disagreement or the misunderstanding itself. So what does that mean for our "heaven"? I don't think perfection can be manufactured, but it can be maintained, don't you think?

Ryan wrote:Ah! some have put "conflicts of nature" as an elaboration of "weather"... no, I mean when as time moves on and if, after the discussion of organization a has been settled, we decided to live together as a unified community, rather than separately, then eventually we all would be faced with getting to know one another on a more intimate ...level and have to work on adjusting to be in harmony with each other.

dermot wrote:...
My role changes from day to day, depending which side needs tanning the most, being Irish i need to tan properly. For once. …George does the fishing, Mirjana does naturally occuring medicines, Sabina plays music and poses the odd question, Metatron anwwers the odd question, Heidi makes Greek Salads (yum), Maheep and Clay talk earnestly about something or other, Holly mingles, Pat keeps accounts, all the rest are looking for batteries for my ipod.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mornings.....waking up to the smell of the sea, heaing the waves on the sandy beach, feeling the sunlight, and knowing you have everything you need.
No laws, rules, conventions, time, .......bliss
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are asking if perfection can be manufactured, if a chosen group of people could gel without anything becoming a problem.
It would be nice to think that, but in my experience and its already happened on this site, there will be differences, problems, and they would be too much for some people to resolve...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sadly, and this is just that, we have no influence over how anybody is likely to react to a different dynamic. Personal vigilance is necessary if balance is to remain within ourselves, and each other.
Passion, Beauty, Truth, they are all worth belief.
d.

mirjana wrote:...
The whole nature looks very mild and comforting, the fact that there is water, sea for food and green where there is always something to found is comforting too. =0)
I can imagine that the most challenging part would be to build healthy and respectful relationship between us so that each of us can be useful in the best personal way not feeling threatened in any sense from others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dermot, I think that comparing DS and such community was not bad idea. Or each of us can look in our lives, family and friends communities. There have been moments when we would just decide that the best is to leave some community and by that the community would not be the same any more. And people do that permanently not ready to give up their personal worlds and truths, beliefs and justice for anything or anybody.So, if such things are not possible within closer related people, then it is not easier to make it with people who would be together by chance.
Sabina, I think that further develop of DS will be a very nice proof if such community is possible. If it turns it were, what I believe is possible what depends only on us, then everything else is possible too.

Heidi wrote:I think I would like all of us to stay together, share knowledge and experience to make our lives on the island easier. We would have the chance to know each other better, have nice meals round an open fire while talking about so many different things.
I would enjoy going swimming everyday and lying under the palm trees for hours after that.
I would feel like being 12 again and having a wonderful time on a campsite with my friends...
I don't know if I would like to stay on the island forever. We would talk about that, and after some time we could probably decide on starting building a raft...

HGolightly wrote: Since I'd like to be a part of a community, I'd petition the group to act as our community relations officer to oversee and aid in peacekeeping amongst our potentially expanding community. Issues would undoubtedly arise; however, there is always a solution to every problem. All other challenges associated with the basics of shelter, food, fire, etc. would not be an issue, because we would be working as a "team".
Holly

Daywhite wrote:Could this work? Yes, I fully believe it could. But maybe not exactly as you had planned or hoped...
I don't think nature would present any challenges tougher than those we may present ourselves with...However, with another individual, we would have certain expectations, expectations ...with other adults, we have expectations, definitions of things. One defines perfection one way, while the person sitting next to them will define it quite differently.
A baby falls many times while learning to walk. If you learn from each fall and get up one more time than you fall, it can work.

Until this moment it was more or less nice scenario of possible development of Island Utopia, and everybody pointed out that the only problem would or could or will be to adapt to each other and to harmonize personal differencies in approaching life situations and people.
From now on it becomes interesting...
Sabina wrote:...
The problem, as I see it, with that approach is that if we have no expectations of others, none at all, then thoughts like your "Think before you Blink" would mean what exactly? Because in it you write about your expectations of people... you expect them to think and use their minds, do you not?
Or you could say, you don't expect them to, you just hope they do it, but the two are closely related and quite intertwined.

Daywhite wrote:...

...but I do expect you to use a bit of common sense.

However, this brings us to the question of who chooses who goes on the island. I know who I would want on it, but, as I've told my brother, regarding common sense, common sense just ain't that common.

Just to remind you on the initial question, we are there and we haven’t chosen with whom we are there.
Sabina wrote:On the other hand... imagine how relaxed we would all be... wouldn't we?
Isn't that also a pretty ideal environment to be your best self?
Yes, I know... we should always be our best selves, but I can imagine the level of relaxation playing a role in people's immediate spontaneous reactions to any problem that may come up.

Great point!!!!!
Ryan wrote:However, if I truly try and put myself into that situation it would probably be pretty evident from the beginning that certain members would have less of an understanding of a "natural way of life" and the others would have to expect certain things are not "common knowledge" or a matter of common sense.

I can understand that if it was a repeated offense that it could become quite annoying... especially to those who gather the food... not to mention there would soon be a problem with critters... and I think the seriousness of the matter would become more evident to the repeated offender(s) and therefore they would probably correct it themselves.

On a positive note: the "wasted" food would in actuality act as a kind of "chumming" in which the predator would soon become the wasted food's replacement. (as long as it was of equal size and of decent taste)
=0/

Daywhite wrote: But, with the ones who simply seem clueless and refuse to learn, I'm not saying kill them, but simply stop watching out for them. Stop telling them to be careful when going out at night; maybe encourage them to go out at night. Don't stop them from eating the fruit you know to be poisonous. I know we would each have our limitations and need help; I'm not talking about that type situation. This is simply with the ones everyone agrees has become more danger than asset. If they choose to go off on their own, away from the group, fine, we wish you the best. If they choose to stay, hey, sharks gotta eat, too.

Knowing that you are INFP I do not believe that you would ever quit on people…so, another option, please? =0/
Ryan wrote:As long as you can't say you didn't "try", right?
80S

Excatly!
I again cannot imagine that either of you would stop trying and I cannot imagine that people who will be there(starting from the assumption that we are there based on the similar approach to life, like people who choose to visit DS), will be so dramatically different that they would pull the worst in any of others.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Mirjana... =0o You crazy women! <3

=0@

I was just going to say that since the people on the island would all be deep spirits, it should actually be fairly "easy" to get along.
Them being deep spirits, for me, means that even if they don't know something yet, they will learn, because they are open to learning, they are open to the adventure of life.
So.. piece of cake! Nobody would be shark bait!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm

I thought it might fit...

[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Previous

Return to Imagination Exercises