An Accidental Community

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

An Accidental Community

Postby Sabina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 am

Imagine we all find ourselves on a large, rich, but deserted island.
No people, no rules, except for us...

There is fresh water on the island, and some wild life.

What would be the challenges of this situation?
Can you imagine money being needed under such circumstances? I don't mean at the very beginning, but do you see us needing any form of payment as life goes on?
What is different between that life and the life we currently live?

What difficulties, if any, do you foresee in this environment and situation?

Remember, we can work together, or we can each go our separate way. The island is large enough, so we can separate and not see each other at all if we choose not to.

This is not utopia, and not a spirited debate question either.. it is a "what if" scenario, an imagination exercise... so imagine...

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: An Accidental Community

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:49 am

The most immediate, general, logical, and common challenges would be shelter, water, and food. And possibly medical depending on our method of arrival. Since you said it is a large rich island with water and wild life... I do not see that food and water are any type of challenge at all. So, that would leave medical and shelter... Since our combined medical knowledge, abilities, and resources are probably limited there is only so much we can do and therefore it is not really a challenge either. Shelter... it is a "large rich island"... no problem... caves are a possible and immediate solution, if it is needed. Otherwise, a temporary and simple shelter can be built rather quickly and a more permanent shelter can be built afterward. So, that's not much of a challenge either... I think the biggest challenge would be organization... discussing and deciding how to approach all these matters. That would be where personal preference and possible disagreements as to how, when and where things should be done and who should be doing what would arise.

Can you imagine money being needed under such circumstances? I don't mean at the very beginning, but do you see us needing any form of payment as life goes on?
No... you said it was deserted, so that means there aren't any Ferrari dealers, right?
80S

I would have a clean start to more naturally and harmoniously live with my surroundings.

Natural difficulties... weather... conflicts of nature...

Ah! some have put "conflicts of nature" as an elaboration of "weather"... no, I mean when as time moves on and if, after the discussion of organization a has been settled, we decided to live together as a unified community, rather than separately, then eventually we all would be faced with getting to know one another on a more intimate
(not sexual George)
80|
level and have to work on adjusting to be in harmony with each other.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby dermot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I would assume control, and then appoint an acting secretary, who would form a committee to oversee Ryan who would do the work as outlined above.(cant be bothered to repeat it).

My role changes from day to day, depending which side needs tanning the most, being Irish i need to tan properly. For once.

George does the fishing, Mirjana does naturally occuring medicines, Sabina plays music and poses the odd question, Metatron anwwers the odd question, Heidi makes Greek Salads (yum), Maheep and Clay talk earnestly about something or other, Holly mingles, Pat keeps accounts, all the rest are looking for batteries for my ipod.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:28 am

There is fresh water on the island, and some wild life.

The whole nature looks very mild and comforting, the fact that there is water, sea for food and green where there is always something to found is comforting too. =0)
I can imagine that the most challenging part would be to build healthy and respectful relationship between us so that each of us can be useful in the best personal way not feeling threatened in any sense from others.

No, I can imagine money to be any issue. I believe that the whole group would find the way to live in interdependency learning about each other and each of us primary about self as well under completely new life circumstances.

The huge difference is that there , as I understood you, would be only DS members. We are great together, but I would miss some other people, family, friends that wouldn't be there.

Longing for those who are not there could be an issue, or something unpredictable from the outside that I can not speculate now.

Remember, we can work together, or we can each go our separate way. The island is large enough, so we can separate and not see each other at all if we choose not to.

I do hope and believe that our choice would be to stay together and build community that will suit all of us. It is easier to organize things in sharing; it is easier to live in company supporting each other. I think that we would all feel more comfortable like that.

As about me, I am very practical and do not escape any work, so I wouldn't feel fear but would immediately start to create life there telling to others in how many different ways I could be useful for the community. Improvising in cooking so that it would be possible to make something even if there is nothing, would be challenging for me. I could be of help by applying some alternative treatments if there wouldn't be any other way in need. Some knowledge about how to organize life in nature that I have got in family could be useful too.

Dermot elaborated about some of us in different situations. It was nice what he did and I enjoyed it. =0/
I do not dare to do the same at the moment, as I do not know so much about others. But, I think that we are very interesting and quite skilled group of people and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable to be with all of us there. I would appreciate what others would say for themselves about what is the area that they feel the most comfortable, so that we can know that for the case… ;0)
With the time, I think that I shall be able to add some new thoughts about this.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 am

I think I would like all of us to stay together, share knowledge and experience to make our lives on the island easier. We would have the chance to know each other better, have nice meals round an open fire while talking about so many different things.
I would enjoy going swimming everyday and lying under the palm trees for hours after that.
I would feel like being 12 again and having a wonderful time on a campsite with my friends.

I don't think we would have to face any medical problems. The earth the sun and the sea are the best doctors. And because we would eat only natural things, I'm sure we would be healthier than we are now.

I think we would miss our friends and family, the use of the Internet, music, cinema or going window shopping. There would be no need for money but I would often wonder who would pay my mortgage back home...

I don't know if I would like to stay on the island forever. We would talk about that, and after some time we could probably decide on starting building a raft...
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby Sabina » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:33 pm

=0) <3
Heidi wrote:I think we would miss our friends and family, the use of the Internet, music, cinema or going window shopping.

As for music and cinema we could make that ourselves... perhaps slightly more primitive than in the "civilized" world, but only slightly! Theater instead of cinema obviously.
;0)

Exploring the island would be fun as well.. I like exploring of all sorts, so this would be beautimous for me. Dermot says I would make music and ask the odd question.. that sounds good too..
Swimming every day would be wonderful...
And the evenings around the fire.... <3
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby dermot » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am

Mornings.....waking up to the smell of the sea, heaing the waves on the sandy beach, feeling the sunlight, and knowing you have everything you need.
No laws, rules, conventions, time, .......bliss
dermot

Postby Sabina » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:35 am

See? The thing is... it all sounds so very perfect. Very perfect...
(Please note - I did not say too perfect... because I don't have a problem with perfection at all, so don't get me wrong. :)

So, can that be?
Would there be no problems at all? Nothing to "overcome"?

Other than missing some people who aren't there... would that be the extent the difficulties of such a life?

Sabina
Sabina

Postby dermot » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am

You are asking if perfection can be manufactured, if a chosen group of people could gel without anything becoming a problem.
It would be nice to think that, but in my experience and its already happened on this site, there will be differences, problems, and they would be too much for some people to resolve.

So it wont work, and that disappoints me terribly because that kind of heaven is deeply ingrained in my soul as the ultimate way to live, i just dont think it exists on that scale.
Maybe we find that with someone, if we are lucky, and it lasts a while if we are lucky, but everything changes, we are all running at different speeds.

PITY.
dermot

Postby Sabina » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am

=0o Don't say "PITY" like that, like it's a fact and that's that....
It is deeply ingrained in my soul as the ultimate way to live, as you put it so nicely, and since that is so, it is not something I am willing to just give up and say "Oh well".

If that is the definition of heaven and it only depends on the participants to make it that, then how could that possibly not work?

The fact that we already had "an incident" here on the forum wouldn't mean anything if Randall wouldn't have just walked away (or at least so it seems at the moment). You see George was kind of part of the incident as well, in the sense that George and Ryan had a "dispute" (for example), but they talked it all out and all is good!
At least that was my impression...

So... it seems to me that it is the giving up part that really makes it an incident, and not the disagreement or the misunderstanding itself. So what does that mean for our "heaven"? I don't think perfection can be manufactured, but it can be maintained, don't you think?

Sabina
Sabina

Next

Return to Imagination Exercises