Aggression

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Aggression

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 am

Recently I have had an interesting talk about aggression. The person in talk has expressed a nice thought about wanting to change his world in a way that no kind of aggression is allowed no matter for what price.

I like this sentence and do believe that such approach if it would be possible to be applied generally would definitely make a difference. It could eventually lead us to the Star Trek New Generation.
There is though a little catch there too. What does aggression mean for each one of us? I think that we would be very surprise how different approach people have about this subject. Brutal aggression is not doubtful and I am not talking about that, although we are witnessing how easily people find explanations even for such things not considering them as an aggression. If you would ask American Government about the war in Iraq, they wouldn´t consider it as an aggression in spite the fact that the majority of the world does.
But, I shall stay for this subject by so many very subtle levels of aggression that people let them have, use, apply or communicate in their life nicely convinced that they do not refer to aggression.
One of definitions of aggression is the following:
"In psychology, as well as other social and behavioral sciences, aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory behavior between members of one species towards another species is also described as "aggression." To exhibit aggression towards members of another species is common, such as in these examples: "Lions are aggressive hunters of antelopes," and "Eagles are aggressive hunters of small mammals."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggression
So, considering this definition, it seems that not the aggressor but the other part is the only reference if something is or is not an act of aggression. And, I would be very surprised if anybody consider himself as an aggressive person. The same person who will very easily see an act of aggression by somebody else, that many others wouldn´t see it or experience it like that, wouldn´t be able to admit self with such behavior even if pointed out to be so.
So, my question is what helps us personally to be aware if we are acting aggressively?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Aggression

Postby Sabina » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 am

mirjana wrote:So, my question is what helps us personally to be aware if we are acting aggressively?

Repeated remarks by other people.. and not just any people. It would have to be remarks by people whose opinions one generally values.

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Yes, excellent answer when we want to change that kind of attitude and transform certain aggressive manners into the opposite. Thank you =0)
My second question is how we can help somebody close to us who behaves aggressively and each remark about that put into the ego of those who gives their remarks, like people are spoiled and not able to hear anything said on their account, never mind how it is said?
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:19 pm

mirjana wrote:My second question is how we can help somebody close to us who behaves aggressively and each remark about that put into the ego of those who gives their remarks, like people are spoiled and not able to hear anything said on their account, never mind how it is said?

How you can help them?
First of all, does the person you are trying to help value your opinion?

I will answer on the assumption that they generally do (because if they don't, then you have no business trying to help them), but that they only behave as if they don't value it in this particular case, in regards to their own aggressive behavior. So...

If someone behaves in an aggressive manner and, when pointed out so, redirects the observation back calling it an ego, then that person obviously doesn't want your help.
Therefore, you cannot help them.

Furthermore, if one continues trying to "help" such a person, then one is either stupid or a masochist.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:09 pm

=0@
80S
=0o
=0X
mirjana

Postby ubermensch » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

confessions of an aggressive individual ... =0)
i usually only find im an aggressive person in retrospect. that being said to remedy this , i go into a meditation type imagery retreat. reliving the situation that caused my aggressive response and find an extremely shallow or superficial reason for that behavior . i then try to work on this side of my personality whether it be through education or just working on being more open minded . realizing i was using aggression as a kind of buffer to prevent people from seeing how shallow i was , i think it made the change that much easier all the while making the aggressive response more difficult. i think understanding my motivations for aggression was necessary, merely knowing i was acting aggressively did not solve the problem for me. im pretty sure it was rudolf steiner who says that emotions are teachers of the soul and should be studied .
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Return to Spirited Debate