About the power of prayer

A forum dedicated to people who
are trying to make a difference.

About the power of prayer

Postby Sabina » Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 am

I have stumbled upon this and just had to share it...

In a small town in America, a person decided to open up his bar business, which was right opposite to a church. The church & its congregation started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayed daily against his business.

Work progressed. However, when it was almost complete and was about to open a few days later, a strong lightning struck the bar and it was burnt to the ground. The church folk were rather smug in their outlook after that, till The bar owner sued the church authorities for 2 million USD on the grounds that the church through its congregation and prayers was ultimately responsible For the demise of his bar shop, either through direct or indirect actions or means.

In its reply to the court, the church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection that their prayers were reasons to the bar shop's demise. In support of their claim they referred to the Benson study at Harvard that inter-cessionary prayer had no impact!

As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork and at the hearing and commented:
    "I don't know how I am going to decide this case, but it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer and we have an entire church and its devotees that doesn't."

B0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: About the power of prayer

Postby mirjana » Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 pm

The immediate association is the movie made in 2001, The Man Who Sued God.
A fishing boat of an ex-lawyer was destroyed by lightning. He discovers that according to his insurance firm such an occurrence is an "act of god". The insurance firm doesn't want to pay up. As a clever guy, instead of suing the company, which would be stupid, he prepared a class action against "god". With that action he put both insurance firms and churches in a mighty fix. In order to deny any liability, they both also must deny the existence of "god" which is actually the centre of their entire structure. What logically follows is that they have therefore have taken money in the form of donations and parliamentary assistance by duping people into believing that there IS a "god".
Actually the answer of that movie is the same as the answer of the judge who was looking over the paper book. What I like in the movie, and the same in this story, that the bar keeper or the ex lawyer, both meant as losers, are actually spiritual winners who has got a huge human satisfaction in showing the whole hypocrisy of institutions like churches, insurances, banks…
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: About the power of prayer

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I love 'The Man Who Sued God' - its a fine piece of Australian cinematic philosphical comedy. Billy Connolly is hilarious in the role.
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Return to Civil Courage